Memos From Bernie

Quotes from his board

How the heck did SLU manage to finish 7th in this cesspool?

-B

On a serious note, I see no reason why SLU can't beat GW.

SLU underachieved during the A-10 schedule, but played a stronger overall schedule than GW, and has a superior RPI:

SLU 70

GW 82

GW during the season was a team that often lost its fight when things didn't go well .... I don't think it's a resilient team. I do think SLU is fighting hard to stay alive; the win over the sloths from UMass is a good example. if GW gets off to a good start, then GW should win. But if GW is lazy the way UMass was for too many stretches tonite, GW is ripe for an upset.

--B

Tyler Durden:

Meant to tell you that the meeting today between the A-10 directors and Lindo Bruno about the TV contract did not go well ... did not go well at all... I think it's fair for me to say that the league's AD's are exasperated by the absence of preparation, and vision... and very concerned over the TV package for next season.

The A-10 needs a new leader.

It's so painfully obvious.

No matter what people think about the MVC -- and maybe I and others praise it too much, I don't know -- I think we all agree that Doug Elgin is an example of what a strong commish can do for a league.

--B

The news on Bruno is disheartening.

Hopefully Levick was as hard on her as she has been on the local sports commentaters the past couple days.

Bruno and her staff probably need to be fired. Just how you go about doing that I have no idea.

>>No matter what people think about the MVC -- and maybe I and others praise it too much, I don't know -- I think we all agree that Doug Elgin is an example of what a strong commish can do for a league.<<

Gotta agree with this statement. The A-10 would be helped immeasurably by a Doug Elgin.

I love this one:

GW during the season was a team that often lost its fight when things didn't go well .... I don't think it's a resilient team. I do think SLU is fighting hard to stay alive; the win over the sloths from UMass is a good example. if GW gets off to a good start, then GW should win. But if GW is lazy the way UMass was for too many stretches tonite, GW is ripe for an upset.

Does anyone really believe that Bernie has seen GW play or can even name one player on their roster? I love how he describes a possible SLU win as an "upset" even though SLU beat GW by ten points a few weeks ago and has been ranked higher in the various computer rankings most of the season.

It's a safe play by Bernie from a seeding standpoint.

GW is the underdog here, and I think everyone, including them, knows it.

We haven't really taken it to a team we should beat very much at all this year, I'm hoping our boys came off the tough win last night feeling like world beaters and that they play accordingly.

Every night should be Christmas Eve for them from here on out.

it is a little upsetting that bernie calls umass "sloths" and "lazy".

imo, umass was one of the most underated teams in the country. it is just unfortunate that

1. they played such a sucky non conference schedule they didnt have the rpi juice they needed to be taken serious and

2. they had the team flu thing hit them on Sunday and obviously werent playing as well as they could have.

the gods seem to aligning for us. let's hope the breaks keep coming.