Local HS Players -SLU Recruitung ??

getitdone

Would like some input..

Will Leon Powell qualify?

Why didn't Brad get Josh Harrelson?

Can Paul Eckerle play at that level?

How bout the 7 footer from Edwardsville?

Is SLU looking at the 6'9 Kid from Bell City that Memphis renigged on??

any input would be great

just get it done..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for about the millionth time, if harrelson was so worthy, then why is he going to the absolute lowest ranked school in all of division one? if slu missed, so did 335 other schools.

as to the 7 footer from edwardsville, i have seen him a few times. i would say he is almost as good as bryce was as a freshmen.

As to the 7 footer from Edwardsville, while I admit I have never seen him play before, prior to this year (his senior year) he had never even played a varsity game before. Even if he wasn't very coordinated you'd think they would have let him play just to alter some shots or something. IMO, he would bring nothing that would benefit this team unless we want a lesser skilled Bryce.

getitdone said,

"he can do some good things for a kid his size"

what are those things? all i have seen is 6'2" high school centers own him.

You guys must don't know much about basketball if you don't think this kid has upside. He did play last year on a team that won I think 30 games, so he didn't play much mainly do to the fact that E'ville coach Waldo system is very difficult to get a grasp on.

He is very very athletic and finishes with dunks around the basket with ease and blocks shots very well. He is still very raw in the skill department but I guess Mizzou, Wyoming, Illinois-Chicago and Nevade think he would be a big pickup because they all have offered him. But I don't think he will qualify so we will here about him in a couple of years when a juco or prep school will turn him into a complete monster.

>for about the millionth time, if harrelson was so worthy,

>then why is he going to the absolute lowest ranked school in

>all of division one? if slu missed, so did 335 other

>schools.

>

>as to the 7 footer from edwardsville, i have seen him a few

>times. i would say he is almost as good as bryce was as a

>freshmen.

Harrellson didnt play for one of the big local AAU team, so he wasnt exactly a household name. He chose to play on an AAU team with his friends. It is obvious now that he is a very good player that would start at center for SLU next year without question. He wanted to play for SLU. Not many people wanted Stemler out of high school either or Brian Cusworth. That doesnt mean you cant play. It takes a lot to go D1, talent, exposure, AAU coaches working the phones etc. Josh is a big miss by the SLU staff. He's 6'9 265, he runs the floor well, he rebounds, plays physical and shoots FT's well. Fundamentally sound, soft shooting touch. What else does Brad want. I wish Josh played for Gateway, he'd probably be playing at Wichita State or somewhere in the MVC. He also has pretty good hops. The matchup against Powell was an instant classic. The area's top two big men. He had 18 and 18, Powell had 22 and double digit boards. Oh yeah, Missouri product, 6'4 guard Justin Hurtt of O'Hara committed to Tulsa

Yeah, he left Gateway and the STL Falcons and then hooked on with one of the Illinois AAU teams, the Team Illinois I think and his stock soared. I guess that's all it takes is playing for one of those AAU teams and all the little things get magnified. All reports are that he had a glowing summer on the AAU circuit overall and his game grew by leaps and bounds and he grew from 6'11 to 7'1 or 7'2. And I'm still waiting on Brad to offer Jeff Jordan. He's considering Colgate, Loyola and Ill. State among others. We have plenty of scholarships, if he doesnt pan out, he's still worth the gamble. What if he does work out, what a story!! Plus, you get MJ in the crowd at least a couple of times a year.

Your right. Cusworth came out 2002, I forgot he left school for a semester and thats why he just finished this year. I stand corrected. My point was that like Harrellson, Cusworth wasnt heavily sought after and the fact that he went to Harvard and that Harrellson is going to WIU is not an negative indication of their talent.

roy you are one on the board almost constantly bringing up the need for a 4 and wondering why other schools on our schedule can have a player with at least the body of harrelson - who knows how he will develop, I mean after all he has only been playing bball for 4 or 5 years - and then there is a local kid who some say wants to go to SLU (plays in the same conf as the head coach's kid, in the same town) and we don't offer and he is 6'8or9 with at least some skill - what exactly do you want that we can get????

cusworth picked harvard for academic reasons as well as basketball. did harrelson pick the worst college basketball program in the country, western illinois for academic reasons?

cowboy, had harrelson waited until spring to sign, i would have likely jumped at the opportunity, however, let's not forget that at the time harrelson committed to the worst team in college basketball, slu was still in the hunt for alexander, pullen and swansen and had only two scholarships to give.

hindsight is wonderful, but had soderberg known in late october that obi and horace were going to turn on him and that the above three were not going to commit, then it makes more sense.

roy said - had harrelson waited until spring to sign, i would have likely jumped at the opportunity- timing, kind of one of the keys to recruiting isn't it, UB's doesn't seem too good.

only had 2 to give?? I thought at the beginning of the 2006/07 season UB had at least 1 open scholarship? as my math would work like this - IV and JJ are seniors therefore done, and there is an open schollie or two. am i wrong?? i very well could be.

and that worst team in college basketball comment, that may hold for today and tomorrow, but are you willing to bet it will hold for the next 4 years? and so with this logic you are also saying if a kid has an offer from, let's say, winthrop, hofstra, san diego st or texas a&m corpus christi then the kid is nuts for coming to slu as opposed to those as those teams are better than slu according to today's rpi? so it appears you have taken the budget rank and now you are ok with recruiting only kids who will not be recruited by anyone above slu's rank there.

>cowboy, had harrelson waited until spring to sign, i would

>have likely jumped at the opportunity, however, let's not

>forget that at the time harrelson committed to the worst

>team in college basketball, slu was still in the hunt for

>alexander, pullen and swansen and had only two scholarships

>to give.

>

>hindsight is wonderful, but had soderberg known in late

>october that obi and horace were going to turn on him and

>that the above three were not going to commit, then it makes

>more sense.

what makes you think SLU was in the hunt for those guys. What evidence have you seen of Brad's ability to get big time out of area talents? He's a legit center from the area that wanted to come and had the grades. Brad should've closed the deal.

i'm willing to bet that western illinois will never finish the season in harrelson's career with a higher rpi than slu.

also, western's conference, the mid continent, is the 22nd ranked conference in all the land. slu plays in a top 10 conference that is having a bad year to be ranked 10th.

western plays very little high profile games in big cities and universities with a little basketball history, western doesnt.

i dont get your argument.

i think they all three took official visits to slu and by most accounts i have read slu was the second choice for all three. i would call that "in the hunt".

vtime, i am still waiting to hear why no one between slu and western was considered by harrelson? i mean if he was good enough for us, why wasnt he good enough for any other school between 97 and 336?

in all likelihood, harrelson could have hit the jackpot had he waited. he rushed, no way in hindsight should slu be blamed. if he was good enough, there was no chance that he wasnt going to get a division one scholarship better than western illinois.