i wonder if sampson believes in karma

actually i have more hatred for sampson and indiana. i hate cheaters and sampson is guilty as charged and basically got off scott free moving from oklahoma to indiana with only slight recruiting limits for a year after making hundreds of documented illegal calls. hard telling how much was never caught.

he came in real real late and swooped up stemler from a number of schools that had spent considerably more time recruiting him above board. now he breaks the honor amongst coaches and steals gordon from weber. hate is too kind. coaches like sampson are what is wrong with college athletics and more should be done to expell them when the opportunity come around like it did. instead, he got a slap on the wrist and continues on his merry way.

stemler's karma will come his way as well. from what i understand, deandre thomas is all but a done deal for sampson and will likely be his power forward next year. i hope lance enjoys his junior year.

Yes I am. I am also aware that there of been no signs of anything not above board in that recruiting. I could care less about him or the IU program.

I am certain that neither of them is on this years schedule or next years. I am also certain that Weber recruited some Less than desirable kids to SIU-C.

Nobody should act like the Illini and their coach are saints.

i disagree. while i believe there is more "black magic" being practiced than most want to think, i still believe that most coaches do play by the rules and the likes of sampson is still the exception. at least that is what i want to believe. i would act the same towards any other tark wannabee.

Yet for all the trouble you give Huggins for the type of kids he has rcruited in the past, you have no problems with Weber recruiting those exact same types of players in the past.

Maybe when the mizzou fans on this board are picking up their tiger outfits you can join them in picking up your headdress.

oh i am not a weber fan. i am just less of a fan of sampson than weber.

for example, the way weber acted towards the lisch family was deplorable. and for that alone i would never endorse his high horse as a coach as well. but i know of no instance where weber cheated unlike sampson who has been convicted.

Roy I am just giving you a hard time. It is all in good fun.

But, you do at times seem close to commiting sports bigamy. We may have to get a ruling from Bill Simmons on your case.

Rule No.1 : No Sports Bigamy - you have to select one team in each sport. Unless you live in Utah - you CANNOT root for two teams at once to hedge your bets, and you CANNOT unconditionally love two teams at the same time when there's a remote chance that they might go head to head someday

i only love the billikens when it comes to college basketball. so i plead innocent to the bigamy charge.

What I thought was interesting from all the things I read the past few days leading up to the IU-UI game was Sampson stating he should have picked up the phone and called Weber after the recruit(Gordon) called him and said that he wanted to open up his recruiting.

Sampson and his assistant coaches didn't have any problem picking up the phone and making I believe over 800 illegal phone calls to recruits when he was at Oklahoma, while he was the Chairman of the Ethics committee for NCAA Basketball coaches. He then leaves Oklahoma on probation and then skips to Indiana.

"and who says this ain't a great country"

For those who say there is no honor among big time coaches, I agree to some extent in that certain coaches bend or break the rules and go behind the backs of others. But I also think there is a certain level of accountability and respect that all D1 coaches are expected to practice, and Sampson seems to think he's above that.

Also, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney was very upset about the way Sampson came in and stole Eric Gordon from Bruce Weber and the Illini. I'm not an Illini fan by any means (count me as indifferent), but Weber has been constantly criticized for his recruiting ability since he's been there, and only given credit for winning with Self's recruits. Gordon looked to be the cornerstone recruit for his tenure at the U of I, and the kind of player that could take his team, and recruiting, to the next level.

After Sampson's barrage of text messages and phone calls and even hiring his dad's old coach as an assistant, all of which got Gordon to change his mind, Delaney publicly announced that "This will not happen again when I am commissioner of the Big Ten." While I can't find a link to that, I had heard it on the radio a while back, and Delaney sounded outraged. He said that while no official rules were broken (as far as they know), he found Sampson's behavior highly unethical and that it broke all good faith coaches are supposed to have in one another, especially within the same conference.

If what he did with Gordon is so wrong change the rules. I am sick of all the whining about this. The NCAA, most coaches, and administrators must not have a problem with it or they would change the rules of when a kid can commit to a school.

I have no problem at all with what Sampson did when it comes to Gordon. The kid and his dad could have told him know. They could have blocked his phone calls.

Sampson is now the IU coach. His number one job is to get the best players from IN. Is he not supposed to contact the best player in the state and see if he might be interested in coming to IU now that he is the coach? If he didn't do that he would not being doing his job. He was not the IU coach when Gordon gave his non-binding verbal to the Illini.

I am really getting sick of all the self-righteous people that continue to hammer Sampson on this point. If it makes them feel better about themselves I guess they won't stop. I guess all coaches should now never have any contact with the kid who gave a verbal in eighth grade. ***** all you want he didn't break any rules and I don't believe he acted unethically in this instance. He would have been not performing his duties as the head coach of IU if he ignored Gordon.

according to frank today on his show, sampson also hired gordon's aau coach and got a gordon family member an indiana university job leading up to the decommit from illinois and the loi at indiana.

sure those things are all legal, but they smell.

i think had sampson upfront told weber via a phone call or a face to face conversation that he believed that the gordon verbal was no longer solid and was going to pursue it for indiana, i might have less of a problem with it, however all the moves were clandestine activity that weber was apparently unaware of until it was too late.

So it would be ok if he told Weber? It is either wrong or it is not wrong.

I guess it is now Sampson's job to help Weber with his recruiting. God knows it appears he may need all the help he can get now that he no longer has Painter and Lowery.

Sampson outworked Weber for the kid. Sampson did the job he was hired to do. He was hired to stop IU from losing in state kids from going to other schools, especially out of state schools.

Rules are rules. Everything he did regarding Gordon is completely legal. Yes, I know Sampson has done illegal things in the past, but leave him alone regarding this. I wish, boy do i wish, our own would do something like this and land a top notch recruit. I know many agree with me, because i think this is the same situation as the Josh Harrelson deal (I may be wrong). If it is legal for Brad to continue recruiting this kid, my god he better be doing it. Brad could learn a thing or two from Sampson, like how to get to the post season or how to land ONE recruit.