OT: Alex Bazzell signed with UMKC

I love Municipal Auditorium, where the Roos play.

Me too. I've seen everything from dog shows to roller derby to Kings basketball at Municipal. The place has a great history, including nine NCAA championship games. And its Art Deco style is unusual for a sports arena.

UMKC is making plans to build a 5,000 seat arena near campus (on Troost). Student turnout for games downtown is next-to-nothing.

When UMKC moves out, Municipal will basically be an annex to the convention center. The NAIA and MIAA tournaments may be the only regular events.

Even underutilized, Municipal (and the adjoining Music Hall) is here to stay. I don't know if the same can be said for Kemper Arena--the city's white elephant--still not paid off, even as taxpayers ponied up for the Sprint Center. The only hope is unloading Kemper on the American Royal.

Hey STLHI..... any idea where Bryce Foster is going? Thanks!

I'm not sure, but I think he'd be a really solid D2 player. His teammate Connell Crossland is a part of a great recruiting class at Highland CC that also includes Richard Anderson and Jerrel Partlow. Both Anderson and Crossland will be D1 players if they get their associates, Partlow, possibly.

I think he was waiting for SLU to offer, but I don't think he got that offer.

Yeah, I'm not sure he got it either, but from what I understand those were his top two schools, and that may be the reason why he went ahead and pull the trigger on UMKC, which is probably the better fit for his talents. I will have an interview up later today with Bazzell about his decision

Me too. I've seen everything from dog shows to roller derby to Kings basketball at Municipal. The place has a great history, including nine NCAA championship games. And its Art Deco style is unusual for a sports arena.

UMKC is making plans to build a 5,000 seat arena near campus (on Troost). Student turnout for games downtown is next-to-nothing.

When UMKC moves out, Municipal will basically be an annex to the convention center. The NAIA and MIAA tournaments may be the only regular events.

Even underutilized, Municipal (and the adjoining Music Hall) is here to stay. I don't know if the same can be said for Kemper Arena--the city's white elephant--still not paid off, even as taxpayers ponied up for the Sprint Center. The only hope is unloading Kemper on the American Royal.

the original Kiel Auditorium had an art deco interior style as well. THAT was a great building to watch hoops

The Power & Light District is a nice addition to downtown KC

Kemper is a dump, but I thought the American Royal decision had been made?

...I thought the American Royal decision had been made?

The Royal has a contract with the city through 2045, but I'm sure all bets are off if Kemper is sold. Sitting empty 200 days a year, Kemper is losing the city too much money. They're paying debt service on $16M for the last round of improvements.

I think he was waiting for SLU to offer, but I don't think he got that offer.

-is alex bazzell good enough to be an a10 guard?

-he might turn out to be the second coming, but i don't see him at that level at this point or developing into it, but agian he might

The Royal has a contract with the city through 2045, but I'm sure all bets are off if Kemper is sold. Sitting empty 200 days a year, Kemper is losing the city too much money. They're paying debt service on $16M for the last round of improvements.

UMKC is a school SLU should have a 2 for 1 with.

-is alex bazzell good enough to be an a10 guard?

-he might turn out to be the second coming, but i don't see him at that level at this point or developing into it, but agian he might

Alex would never see the floor if he came to SLU. I've seen him numerous times and he is not even close to being the player that Kramer Soderberg ( his teammate at SC West), who is struggling to receive minutes at Miami, Oh. Alex, has decent ball skills, but lacks the strength and quickness to play at the D! level. I had heard originally that he was considering going to Central Missouri. I can't believe that SLU ever had any interest, unless it was as a walk on.

Alex would never see the floor if he came to SLU. I've seen him numerous times and he is not even close to being the player that Kramer Soderberg ( his teammate at SC West), who is struggling to receive minutes at Miami, Oh. Alex, has decent ball skills, but lacks the strength and quickness to play at the D! level. I had heard originally that he was considering going to Central Missouri. I can't believe that SLU ever had any interest, unless it was as a walk on.

They are really concerned about getting a backup point to take about 5-6 mins a game. He was about the 4th option behind Irving, Williams, and possibly Lockhart.

Guest BillikenReport

They are really concerned about getting a backup point to take about 5-6 mins a game. He was about the 4th option behind Irving, Williams, and possibly Lockhart.

I think SLU's coaching staff liked him more than Lockhart, but neither player was going to be the right answer for the Billikens.

From talking to someone yesterday, it sounds like the frenzy to recruit point guards is turning into mid-major prospects signing with high-major programs, low-major prospects signing with mid-majors and D-2 prospects signing with low and mid majors.

The last article I read about Williams said he received an offer from Alabama. Irving was being courted by Kansas State.

It's very possible SLU doesn't add another player in this class, which I would be fine with. I'd rather see Salecich and Cassity (possibly) see the back-up minutes at PG rather than using a scholarship on a kid who might not really help you. If Mitchell gets hurt, you might be in trouble. But you'd be in trouble anyway if you were going to have to use a lesser player at PG in his place.

I think SLU's coaching staff liked him more than Lockhart, but neither player was going to be the right answer for the Billikens.

From talking to someone yesterday, it sounds like the frenzy to recruit point guards is turning into mid-major prospects signing with high-major programs, low-major prospects signing with mid-majors and D-2 prospects signing with low and mid majors.

The last article I read about Williams said he received an offer from Alabama. Irving was being courted by Kansas State.

It's very possible SLU doesn't add another player in this class, which I would be fine with. I'd rather see Salecich and Cassity (possibly) see the back-up minutes at PG rather than using a scholarship on a kid who might not really help you. If Mitchell gets hurt, you might be in trouble. But you'd be in trouble anyway if you were going to have to use a lesser player at PG in his place.

I don't get the need to add another point guard either.

Guest BillikenReport

I don't get the need to add another point guard either.

I understand it. I understand that Majerus wants to add as much talent to the roster as possible.

But I don't like the idea. I'd rather see them save that scholarship for the 2010 class, because that would help balance out the recruiting classes a little bit.

I understand it. I understand that Majerus wants to add as much talent to the roster as possible.

But I don't like the idea. I'd rather see them save that scholarship for the 2010 class, because that would help balance out the recruiting classes a little bit.

I guess it boils down to whether this potential PG would be an upgrade over having Cassity and/or Salecich run the point.

I was under the impression Lockhart was the guy if the Florida PGs go elsewhere.

Guest BillikenReport

I was under the impression Lockhart was the guy if the Florida PGs go elsewhere.

There was some talk about that, but I don't think he is going to get an offer.

Guest BillikenReport

-cassity on the point for any extended period does not at this point thrill me, but he strikes me for some reason like a kid that will put in the work to get better so maybe it will be ok or even better if that happens

Mitchell played 32 minutes a game this year, so you're not talking about a lot of minutes.

If Salecich is ready to contribute right away next year, using him as the backup PG is another way to get him on the floor.

The Billikens have more shooting guards than any other position — with Cassity, John, Eckerle, Salecich, Reid — so the coaching staff has to find a way to distribute some of those minutes.

Mitchell played 32 minutes a game this year, so you're not talking about a lot of minutes.

If Salecich is ready to contribute right away next year, using him as the backup PG is another way to get him on the floor.

The Billikens have more shooting guards than any other position — with Cassity, John, Eckerle, Salecich, Reid — so the coaching staff has to find a way to distribute some of those minutes.

-i was shuddering about injury to KM, stay healthy KM and all Billikens