Majerus on Let's Be Frank Segment

davidnark

Naw! Let's not! He wasn't a good enough player to wear Billiken Blue....Better yet...let's ask Billiken Roy....where's Clark?

darrren clarke developed knee problems the middle of last season. over the summer he decided to not play his senior season because of the seriousness of his knees. i.e. he retired from basketball.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess will never know who was the better recruit than huh?

One thing we do know is that Blake may be the most annoying recruit never to come to SLU. Why are we still subjected to this? I'll be 90 years old and there will still be people on this board talking about how SLU should have recruited Ahearn. Get over it.

injuries are part of the game. and in hindsight of course it can now be certain that ahearn would have been the better pick considering clarke's cumlative career and the unfortunate ending.

I guess will never know who was the better recruit than huh?

Obviously Ahearn was the better recruit and that became clear by their sophomore seasons. Not all recruits will work out, but I think we now have a coaching staff who more often than not demonstrate good foresight in evaluating recruits and not be forced to look back so much with hindsight.

but I think we now have a coaching staff who more often than not demonstrate good foresight in evaluating recruits and not be forced to look back so much with hindsight.

ZING! I knew it was coming. Another veiled Soderberg jab from ole Ace. Now he can sleep soundly tonight. Where tomorrow's will show up is anybody's guess.

ZING! I knew it was coming. Another veiled Soderberg jab from ole Ace. Now he can sleep soundly tonight. Where tomorrow's will show up is anybody's guess.

There's nothing thinly veiled about it. God forbid someone point out legit criticism about a coach who got fired, primarily for recruiting failures. Geez!!! If what I said didn't have some merit, BS would still be our coach. The amount of loyalty a few folks have for a coach who never got us into the tournament in 5 years, while even mid major schools in the region were going, is mind-boggling. Yes, Brad is nice guy who I wanted to see do well. No, nobody on this board hates him. What is even more mind-boggling is that the likes of Nash never seem to step up and criticize those who take shots at our CURRENTcoach - the snide "the million $ coach" remarks, etc. get a free pass. Instead this guy gets his panties in a bunch over remarks directed at Soderberg? WTF?!?! In case you haven't noticed, Majerus has accomplished a lot more in this game than Soderberg, so it stands to reason that Sodie has a lot more deficiencies to comment on than Majerus. Plus, BS was on the job a lot longer than RM, therefore there is more of a record to criticize.

There's nothing thinly veiled about it. God forbid someone point out legit criticism about a coach who got fired, primarily for recruiting failures. Geez!!! If what I said didn't have some merit, BS would still be our coach. The amount of loyalty a few folks have for a coach who never got us into the tournament in 5 years, while even mid major schools in the region were going, is mind-boggling. Yes, Brad is nice guy who I wanted to see do well. No, nobody on this board hates him. What is even more mind-boggling is that the likes of Nash never seem to step up and criticize those who take shots at our CURRENTcoach - the snide "the million $ coach" remarks, etc. get a free pass. Instead this guy gets his panties in a bunch over remarks directed at Soderberg? WTF?!?! In case you haven't noticed, Majerus has accomplished a lot more in this game than Soderberg, so it stands to reason that Sodie has a lot more deficiencies to comment on than Majerus. Plus, BS was on the job a lot longer than RM, therefore there is more of a record to criticize.

Where to start. First of all, I'm not disagreeing with the premise of your remark. And I didn't disagree with it when you said it in April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December, and January. Everybody is well aware of Soderbergs pitfalls. But, just in case anybody forgets, here you are telling it to us again. You're post could have stopped after "obviously Ahearn is the better recruit". But it didn't, you had to throw in how Soderberg can't evaluate talent and how it won't happen anymore now that Rick is here. Not even taking into account that Clarke was obviously the more gifted athlete coming out of high school. I bet in 20 years, you're still going to be on here trying to start a fight with Rich regarding President Bush. You seem to have a hard time letting old things die.

As far as the second part of your statement, you obviously aren't paying much attention. I've been critical of Majerus and I've also sung his praises. I'm probably the single biggest advocate of The Majerus Show on this board and have sung his praises a lot. I have also posted on here how disappointed I was with Rick on what I felt was constant negativity toward our players. I didn't and still don't think it was necessary. Rick has since laid off the kids a little and I'm quite happy with our current coach.

Also, I never had a problem with people critizing Soderberg until it became the only topic on this board. Then it started to annoy the hell out of me. If you can find any posts prior to last season where I jumped on somebody for a Soderberg attack, I'll take it all back. You seem to be good at diggin up old posts, so have at it.

I don't recall Frank ever asking a tough question of a Billiken coach.

He asked RM this year about the benching of TL and why TL was playing below expectations - seems to be a tough question to me. My guess is, RM said off the air we are still recruiting and have not made up our minds yet on who we might ask to transfer so don't ask me that question but everything else is fair game. Thus trying to figure out who is counterproductive at this point.

Where to start. First of all, I'm not disagreeing with the premise of your remark. And I didn't disagree with it when you said it in April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December, and January. Everybody is well aware of Soderbergs pitfalls. But, just in case anybody forgets, here you are telling it to us again. You're post could have stopped after "obviously Ahearn is the better recruit". But it didn't, you had to throw in how Soderberg can't evaluate talent and how it won't happen anymore now that Rick is here. Not even taking into account that Clarke was obviously the more gifted athlete coming out of high school. I bet in 20 years, you're still going to be on here trying to start a fight with Rich regarding President Bush. You seem to have a hard time letting old things die.

Ahh, talk about not letting things go. I think I understand why you feel compelled to butt into these threads with me. I find it amusing that you frame it that I try "to start a fight with Rich regarding President Bush." Huh??? When is the last time that has happened and why am I the one "starting" it... because you don't agree with my point of view? For the record, from my perspective, I got no problem with Rich. In fact I recently defended him against a cheap shot from Mizzouphan. We haven't had political banter in a long time, but it never bothered me when we did. I thought it was in good fun. I've grown to kind of like Rich on this board, so I'm not sure why you're dredging that back up.

Back to the original point, you can't refute my statement, so there was no reason for you to get all bent out of shape about it. If people can continually defend and apologize for some of the things in Soderberg's tenure, I'm not sure why I can't point out some of his failings to counter it.

Ahh, talk about not letting things go. I think I understand why you feel compelled to butt into these threads with me. I find it amusing that you frame it that I try "to start a fight with Rich regarding President Bush." Huh??? When is the last time that has happened and why am I the one "starting" it... because you don't agree with my point of view? For the record, from my perspective, I got no problem with Rich. In fact I recently defended him against a cheap shot from Mizzouphan. We haven't had political banter in a long time, but it never bothered me when we did. I thought it was in good fun. I've grown to kind of like Rich on this board, so I'm not sure why you're dredging that back up.

Back to the original point, you can't refute my statement, so there was no reason for you to get all bent out of shape about it. If people can continually defend and apologize for some of the things in Soderberg's tenure, I'm not sure why I can't point out some of his failings to counter it.

I guess, I should have known that you would take the one sentence that really had little to do with my post and run with it. My bad. I shouldnt' have written that.

Look, I had legendary arguements with SLUDrew regarding Soderberg. I'm pretty sure I got into it pretty good with KShoe. I know I had a few things to say about DavidNark as well. They were all extremely emotional debates and I regret the point some of them went to. Somehow all those people have moved on and can refrain from bringing up a Soderberg deficiency twice a week. I guess it's just too much to ask for you to do the same.

I will do my best to refrain from calling you out on it. But, for the record, it annoys me to no end and I find it extremely lame.

I guess, I should have known that you would take the one sentence that really had little to do with my post and run with it. My bad. I shouldnt' have written that.

Look, I had legendary arguements with SLUDrew regarding Soderberg. I'm pretty sure I got into it pretty good with KShoe. I know I had a few things to say about DavidNark as well. They were all extremely emotional debates and I regret the point some of them went to. Somehow all those people have moved on and can refrain from bringing up a Soderberg deficiency twice a week. I guess it's just too much to ask for you to do the same.

I will do my best to refrain from calling you out on it. But, for the record, it annoys me to no end and I find it extremely lame.

You're right. Throwing that one sentence in there was stupid and out of place in this thread on your part, but I'm glad you did. Very revealing about where you are coming from and why you may have felt compelled to butt in.

It's really quite simple. If the revisionist history and apologies on the Soderberg track record would stop, the criticism to counter that would stop. If that annoys you, you are very thin-skinned. I'm not sure why unfair shots at our "million $ coach" don't seem to annoy you.

Before you tried to sidetrack the debate, my main point was that good talent evaluators demonstrate good foresight in recruiting. They don't need to always be looking back with hindsight about the mistakes and the ones that got away. What about that don't you agree with???

You're right. Throwing that one sentence in there was stupid and out of place in this thread on your part, but I'm glad you did. Very revealing about where you are coming from and why you may have felt compelled to butt in.

It's really quite simple. If the revisionist history and apologies on the Soderberg track record would stop, the criticism to counter that would stop. If that annoys you, you are very thin-skinned. I'm not sure why unfair shots at our "million $ coach" don't seem to annoy you.

Before you tried to sidetrack the debate, my main point was that good talent evaluators demonstrate good foresight in recruiting. They don't need to always be looking back with hindsight about the mistakes and the ones that got away. What about that don't you agree with???

"Very revealing about where you are coming from and why you may have felt compelled to butt in." - Can you please explain that? I feel I've been very upfront about where I'm coming from and why I "butt in". I've only said it after every soderberg slam you've had for the past 3 months.

Please point out an unfair Majerus shot that I haven't responded to. As a matter of fact, other than flamers, I haven't really seen unfair Majerus shots. Earlier today, I posted that the people who commented on Majerus in the CBS blog "were a bunch of jerkoffs". Pardon my language.

I completely disagree with your last statement. A good talent evaluator isn't perfect. I would be shocked to find that Coach Majerus, Coach K, Coach Williams, Phil Martelli, Sean Miller...you name it...haven't ever looked back and said, Damn...wish I recruited that kid. To give a local (for me) example, I know tubby smith sure wishes he recruited Chris Lofton.

I completely disagree with your last statement. A good talent evaluator isn't perfect. I would be shocked to find that Coach Majerus, Coach K, Coach Williams, Phil Martelli, Sean Miller...you name it...haven't ever looked back and said, Damn...wish I recruited that kid. To give a local (for me) example, I know tubby smith sure wishes he recruited Chris Lofton.

I may be wrong here, but didn't he recruit Rajon Rondo over Lofton? I just don't think that's too comparable to Sodie not recruiting Blake because he had Darren Clarke.

I may be wrong here, but didn't he recruit Rajon Rondo over Lofton? I just don't think that's too comparable to Sodie not recruiting Blake because he had Darren Clarke.

To be honest, I have no idea. I don't follow Kentucky basketball. All I know is what I hear on radio and TV and they brought it up constantly last year. And I'm sure there was room on Tubby's roster for a lights out guard. Either way, I would still be shocked to learn that even the best coaches don't miss players. Perhaps I'll ask Coach this Monday.

I recall listening to a press conference with Jim Calhoun in which he got upset over a question regarding Ryan Gomes of Providence. The reporter asked about "missing" on him and Calhoun replied that he recruited (I think) Okafor and Boone instead and those worked out pretty well. While he admitted in hindsight that he'd love to have had Gomes, "you can't get everybody." In Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc's case that's very true. In our case, it's a little different because we didn't get much.