Since when is stomping the floor reason for a technical

AlumniFan

Or was it that Brad insulted Barbara Berger?

It seemed awfully arbitrary. I don't know what he said, but that was the quickest technical I have ever seen. I don't want to see a technical at the end of a close game, but I LOVE Soderberg's enthusiasm and emotion. I think he is really good at getting this team fired up.

For those of you who didn't see it, Brad got a technical after a questionable foul call against the Bills (one of many).

He was way out of the box the second the foul was called. If you are yelling at the ref and that far out of the box the ref has every right to call a technical. If he stays in he probably does not get one. I knew he would get T'd up as soon as I saw him out there.

No he was called for the T pretty quickly. After he found out he got the T he stomped down the bench swinging his arms. TV or radio may not have caught it but after the foul call Brad ran out onto the court yelling and as soon as the ref looked over and saw him outside the box he T'd him up. Then Coah went on his tirade.

He went ballistic at the first call. However, what was more embarrassing is that after the technical I yelled at the ref saying "you suck" which prompted my four year old daughter to stand on her seat and yell "you suck".

And we wonder why the youth of today is troubled.

This is actually Tonka's fault. Ever since he threatened to dump nachos over the head of anyone who wasn't cheering loudly, I have been much more vociferous at the games....

While I don't necessarily consider it cursing, I've made it a policy not to use the word "suck" unless I'm referring to the literal activity of sucking (like a baby with a bottle). If something is really lousy, I'll use "stink" where others might use "suck."

On another note, why is it that when I'm really into a game at Berkeley and stand up to berate the officials about a bad call (that would be if I'm in the stands, because if I'm acting as an assistant coach or am taking stats, I'm more subdued), the students snicker and talk about me? Whenever they do that, I hold out my hands and look at them quizzically, as if to say, "What did I do?" Sheesh, let me enjoy the game! Just because I'm an adult and a teacher, I have to sit quietly and can't get into the game?

"You suck" is a very calm thing to say. I say let it all fly within reason. If there's no children around, tear into them. Why not! I'm glad Brad got the technical he did and personally wish he'd get more during the season. Brad may not be an intimidating force like Bobby Knight in his presence alone, but he needs to heat things up with the refs regularly. You can't tell me that 5 second call at Marquette would have ever been called against Huggins!

I was talking about two distinct topics. I didn't yell at the officials, "You stink!" The kids weren't snickering because I used "stink" instead of "suck" (because I didn't use either term). I prefer for my criticism of the officiating to have more substance than, "You stink."

In the latest "incident," one of Berkeley's players was plainly fouled and the officials either missed it or called something against Berkeley. I stood up and yelled something like, "That's a foul! You guys can't see!!" Maybe there was another sentence in there, but I don't recall everything I said. But once I sat back down, the students, who supposedly are also watching and rooting for their fellow Bulldogs, were calling my name to get my attention so they could let me know they were laughing at me. Whatever!

No, Barbara Berger wouldn't be sitting next to me. I promise you that. I think her criticism is way overboard. The Billikens' court is supposed to be a hostile environment for the opponents, not a welcoming envirionment. I hope she was there to see and hear the Band's rebuttal. Maybe she'll begin to understand the environment.