RPI - MO State

smitty

David, I think Billikenbooster was talking about Pomeroy's non-RPI based rankings which are roughly based on a margin of victory/defeat concept (Kwijibo can give the exact details but its something along those lines). Due to the fact that our three defeats have been blowouots (SIU being the only one under 20) and all of our significant wins have been in very close games it makes sense for Pomeroy not to like us as much as the RPI.

Sagarin does a similar thing with his rankings and through yesterday's games had us as the 25th best team based on record alone but only 79th based on margin of victory. Sagarin does an average of those two rankings and has us as 53 overall.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt0607.htm

The nice thing about Pomeroy's rankings as he also predicts our future record. through last night's game he ranks us 101 and thinks we'll finish 20-10.

http://kenpom.com/sked.php?y=2007&team=St.%20Louis&t=p

I've looked at the rankings. I think Pomeroy's under-ranks us by a lot. We are slighlty over-rated by the RPI. I think that averaged Sagarin ranking is pretty accurate. As for the Pomeroy future Record prediciton, I'll be extremely disappointed if we finish at 20-10. Pomeroy seems to think we have little chance of beating Xavier even at home. That is a game we should win.

Pomeroy's rankings certainly underate us (101st seems pretty ridiculous) but I do think its interesting that even this model which has us 101st also predicts us to get to 20 wins. It just goes to show how weak the A-10 is and that we will certainly need 22-23 wins in the regular season to have a shot at an at-large bid.

20 wins ... do we bear Houston and go 9-7 in the A10? or lose to Houston and go 10-6

Where is Houston, SMS, and Loyola ranked

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.