IV ?'s for those whove seen him

slu72

I'm judging IV's play based on Rammer and Earl's broadcasts. It seems last year there was a HOPA every other play. Haven't heard that much if at all this year. Leads me to believe he's playing w/o enthusiasm or much forcefulness. I watched Oden the other night, and man he's a load. Strong to the basket is an understatement. Hansboro plays the same way. What are you locals not seeing in IV's play this year that makes everyone seem to agree he's just not showing up or bringing very much to the party? Is he not running the floor, playing timid when he gets the ball, trying to be too much finesse and not enough gusto? Is it the other team just all over him w/ 2 guys? He saw a lot of that last year, so it shouldn't be an unknown to him. Specifically, what is his game lacking from last year?

'72, you really need to get in on these webcasts, man. Tonight will make 4 games I've gotten to watch this year. If you're sitting in front of your computer listening, you might as well watch!

All I'll say on Ian is that he really doesn't look aggressive, whatsoever. Is he just not capable of it, I don't know. But the guys you mention above play with more intensity than I've ever seen out of Ian. I think a lot of his game relies on finesse moves. But if he's gonna make it any further, he's gotta mix it up. That's one reason I'm pretty optimistic about AK. Maybe he'll bring that toughness we need on the blocks.

IV has no room to do anything. Our spacing has not been good and everyone double or triple teams him everytime he gets the ball. In my opinion, this is a direct result of LM and DP being unable to consistently score.

As UB said, to be really good, someone has to play the 4 other than LM. AK and JJ have to be the answer. If they aren't, the team's in deep doodoo.

I'm not in favor of reducing IV's playing time. Everyone centers there gameplan on stopping him. If he's not in there, it will be much tougher for TL and KL.

First off, he isnt getting the ball as much. however that is justified as meyer, liddell, and polk are all playing offensively better individually than they did before.

that said, one would think and what i assumed would happen that hasnt, the increased threats of meyer, polk and liddell should have also eased the defense off of ian as opposed to being double and triple teamed as he was last year.

as to why he hasnt been the ian we saw last year, if anyone knew that, i would think it would have already been fixed.

only ian knows imo.

"the increased threats of meyer, polk and liddell"

From the 2 games i have watched, while meyer and polk might have increased shooting percentages from last year, i don't think teams fear them. TL is obviously a different story (and the same for a healthy KL). Much like last year, i think teams are still saying, "OK, we'll let Meyer and Polk beat us, but not Ian."

And in no response to anyone in particular, what is with our inability to make layups? LM in particular?

As his rep grew last year, so did the ganging up on him. He got tired at the end but he still played well enough to earn first team all conference. I do agree that though that a legit 4 would probably make things a lot better for him. Also, LM and DP are still not going to make anyone defending them quiver with fear. Hate to sound like a skipping record/disc here but it still all goes back to us not having any kind of threat at the 4...that has killed SLU for so many years, if one ever shows up, I wonder if we'd even recognize it.

he isnt being swamped nearly as much as last year. adn if he was, then that would only mean more open shooters for our billikens who are shooting much better than last year.

I think it's unfair for any unsuspecting poster to take your comments seriously.

Is LM going to be a legit force down low? No.

Is LM going to light you up from outside? No.

Is LM going to get the dirty buckets, hit a few outside shots, hustle his butt off and be a valuable part of the team? Yes.

Is LM a threat? Perhaps in the loosest sense of the word.

Are teams going to game-plan around LM? No.

Go back to playing badminton at Harris-Stowe.

I have to agree with Vtime on this one. Luke has shown the proclivity to drive the baseline if it is given to him. This means that you can not completely ignore him; he has had a few nice scoring games this year. Is he a prototypical 4? Obviously he is not, but I'm not sure that that is such a detriment.