Soderberg and Recruiting

aj_arete

I don't really think you can say that Romar was really starting to build something specail here.

Taj Gray didn't turn his back on SLU because Romar left, he couldn't get into school here. He wasn't coming here no matter what. He would have been a great player for SLU.

Ryan Hollins was an ok college player. He averaged 5.7 points and 4.0 rebounds during his four years at UCLA and shot .619 from the field. He is a seven footer who is a good athlete and that is the reason he got drafted. He didn't make the team and is currently in the D-league. This does not bode well for his future. Most big men that really have a chance to make it someday in the league would be playing in Europe not the D-league. He would have been an ok player not a difference maker. http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/ryan...game_stats.html

Like I said it is your terminology so ... it sounds like you consider a spare part anyone who is not a highly sought after team star. If that is the case than I agree, Jeffers was and our incoming freshman are spare parts at this point in their careers. I think a school like SLU will have to turn a few spare parts into impact players to be successful long term.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

However, SLU has the difference makers, now in Liddell and Lisch, both are high major players. We need to take advantage of these difference makers now, so that we don't have to resort to the Dixon-type recruits in the future.

Yes, TL and KL can be difference makers. But it's primarily UB's job to lead them to be difference makers. For the short term, UB needs to win with recruits outside the top 100. His real test will be the development of these players and his ability to coach them into the dance...just about every year.

"... if Brad does not get a couple of top 150 by the second year we are in the new arena then I don't think anybody can..." That is a very pessimistic approach. If you think that Brad is the only person who can bring SLU to being a top 25-50 program year in and year out then you are really wrong. Brad might be able to do it but if he does not, trust me there is a big pool of people out there who can - the question is can the school find them. It might require taking a chance on somebody or picking up somebody they might not like to look at for whatever the reason but there are people out there who can do it - Brad is not the only saviour born to this task.

"Brad is not the only saviour born to this task."

The ancient scripts say a man of little hair will come from the land of cheese to lead Billiken faithful to the promised land. There will be many heritics and path will not be easy. But there will be help along the way by men from the East. The prophecy will be fulfilled.

Do you think if you asked Coach Soderberg does he think Dustin Maguire, Horace Grant and/or Adam Knollmeyer will eventually be centerpieces for the SLU program in the future?

Note: Centerpiece is one, who is a primary scorer.

As long as Lisch and Liddell are part of the team, SLU will not need a centerpiece, HOPEFULLY, for another two years.

As for next year, Leon Powell could be that PROJECTED centerpiece for SLU, who can carry the mantle away from Liddell, when he matriculates hopefully to the NBA.

Then there's the junior class in St. Louis, who is projected to be strong. There's possibilities for centerpieces there. When Lisch graduates, we can hope that one of these players can be centerpieces.

Then you always have the option of finding a Justin Love from the JUCO route or a disgruntled high major college transfer.

So in summary, the answer is no. It is not necessary, though it would be great, for a Maguire, Knollmeyer and/or Grant to be impact players for SLU.

Brian I agree ... especially on the Taj note. I don't know if it was academics or not ... but people listen to those who say he was coming. He wasn't a lock to come ... if he was he would have committed. It is kind of silly to keep insisting we lost a player who never even committed to us. Stemler is coming also. If UB got fired today ... and Powell goes somewhere else can we count that as a player that was coming?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

>I don't really think you can say that Romar was really

>starting to build something specail here.

>

>Taj Gray didn't turn his back on SLU because Romar left, he

>couldn't get into school here. He wasn't coming here no

>matter what. He would have been a great player for SLU.

>

>Ryan Hollins was an ok college player. He averaged 5.7

>points and 4.0 rebounds during his four years at UCLA and

>shot .619 from the field. He is a seven footer who is a good

>athlete and that is the reason he got drafted. He didn't

>make the team and is currently in the D-league. This does

>not bode well for his future. Most big men that really have

>a chance to make it someday in the league would be playing

>in Europe not the D-league. He would have been an ok player

>not a difference maker.

>http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/ryan...game_stats.html

Actually Hollins did make the team and was sent down to the D-League only recently because Primoz Brezec is due back soon.

>Of course, it would be nice to get core, high-major recruits

>every year, but given our conference and program profile,

>that won't happen. It's one of the reasons why I think the

>MVC will fall off after this year.

>

>Until SLU can reach the NCAA on a consistent basis, like a

>Gonzaga, they will have to put "all of their eggs" in one

>basket and hope they hit a home run.

>

>It also doesn't help that St. Louis isn't a hotbed for high

>school talent. We're more known for football.

>

>Note: V-Time, I welcome and look forward to your retort.

>By the way, how's Western Illinois looking? Also, how have

>those St. Louis area players doing over there? Especially,

>the ones SLU should have recruited. Was it Lorenzo Taylor

>and James Washington?

They are doing okay. Washington didn't start for the first this season in their last game. Mo Smith earned his second start. Washington however is averaging 5ppg 3 asts, 3rebs, and shooting 35% from the field. Not bad for a freshman starting pg.

Have you seen some of the losses by Western Illinois? Their schedule is weak, but yet they have some bad losses.

Now if Washington was averaging 5 ppg at a Mizzou, SLU or Illini, then I'd be impressed. However, those stats don't impress me at a Western Illinois.

By the way, I see pdiddy, who's one of the most respected posters on here, backed you up again with Mo Smith. You do get too much criticism on the board here, but that doesn't surprise me.