Defensive Clinic-SIUC Salukis ESPN2

pompeytir

SLU is in for some trouble in Carbondale. Wow, SIUC is putting a man to man defensive clinic on against Arkansas on ESPN2. If your ever looking at how M2M defense is supposed to be played, this is it-guys moving their feet, no choppy steps.

I'm willing to say their defense is better perimeter wise than A&M is. Their offense on the other hand is boring and limited (much like UB's last year).

>Interesting that SIU-C is putting on a defensive clinic, but

>when Arkansas also plays tough defense.....the SIU-C offense

>is considered boring and limited. Oh well!

But SIU does struggle to score. They dont get to the basket. Too perimeter oriented and they dont shoot the ball well enough to be so jump shot heavy and Falker is the only rebounder as Shaw prefers to roam for the outside shot. Mullins is so valuable defensively and passing wise, but he's got to look for his shot. Thats why he's on the bench and Clemmons is in, because they need some offense.

>What they should have done was blow the whistle on Tatum's

>obvious travel.

yeah, but it was a questionable foul call at the other end for Ervin so it evens out. The last foul on Falker was garbage too and the call on Tatum in OT when Weems fell down. We have a formula now to beat SIU. REBOUND. If JJ is back, he's should start at pf. Or even HD. You need someone mobile enough to get out to Shaw on those 3's.

>>Interesting that SIU-C is putting on a defensive clinic, but

>>when Arkansas also plays tough defense.....the SIU-C offense

>>is considered boring and limited. Oh well!

SIUC created five turnovers in the first five possessions of the game. No trapping, no switching...just heavy man to man to pressure.

I like Arkansas's matchup zone that they threw at SIUC. SIUC just has obvious deficiencies in thier offensive gameplan.

That SLU does not how to play defense? Last year the Bills locked up the Salukis and threw away the key....

SIU-C threw today's game away by putting Arkansas on the line late (allowing them to score while the clock was turned off) and clanking the free throw that would've put them ahead in regulation.

>Here is the SIU game story from last year...

>http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl.../120105aac.html

>

>"The Salukis shot a frigid 28.3 percent from the field, the

>third-worst mark in SIU history, converting just 15 of 53

>shots."

>

>SLU shot 46% from the field in the game....

That was before Mullins replaced Dale in the starting lineup. They were a different team without Dale and Dale subsequently left the program. Mullins put Tatum off the ball and turned him into a go-to-guy on a team that really didnt have one after the program had relied on Brooks and Hairston for years. They were a different team after that move and Mullins even helped their defense as he was top 10 in the nation in steals en route to MVC Freshman of the Year.

>>Dont sleep on the local big man from Missouri Steven Hill.

>>He'll shot SIU something before this game is over. I'm not

>>gonna say Brad missed on him by not offering. I'll let you

>>judge for yourself.

>

>SLU didn't have a chance. He chose Arkansas over Kansas and

>Mizzou.

I believe you. Thats why i didnt say brad missed on him.

Just a question - if we carry on threads giving a minute by minute report about opponents we will be playing in the future as they play games then this board is misnamed - it should not be Billiken.com but Billikenopponents.com. I am sorry, why was this thread not on the SIU board Vee? Go there and talk about SIUC basketball.

Cheeseman, cool it a bit. This happens on the B10 boards, and actually helps interest quite a bit. The game gets a lead tag, ie "SIUC and Arkansas gettin it on..." and people post away. Lord knows we have had enough posts about SIU to qualify the team as our #3 or #4 followed team.

It is good when the posts all get put in a pertinent and SINGLE cohesive thread, rather than shotgunning the entire front page of the forum. Looks like it was a very good game.

This is a thread about a team that SLU is going to play and needs to beat to get an NCAA Bid. Maybe when people are watching the game they'll have a bit more understanding of what is going on and who SLU's opponents are; that way we can understand the matchups UB uses instead of 8 threads on why is UB starting or playing whomever. I enjoy following the team and having some sort of understanding of why things play out the way they do. Basketball isn't as simple as rolling a ball out and letting them play.

I accept part of your position but I am sorry not the play by play reports during the game. You want to talk about the game when it is over then fine but who needs a blow by blow account during the game - you want that go to the SIUC board. Whether the B10 does it or not is irrelevenant. Just my thoughts on the matter.

>I looked at the Box Score....it shows Mullins as a starter

>playing 31 minutes?

>

>SO?

Mullins had a Luke Meyer like effect on that team. They gelled when he came into the lineup and played better ball from then on. They return all 5 starters and we lost Drejaj who this board insists is a HUGE loss. In saying all of that, this wont be an easy game for SLU. I think SLU can win, but they must rebound.