SLU loses in conference tourney final

courtside

SLU loses 2-0 to Rhode Island in finals of A-10 conference tourney. Same result as last year. The differences, SLU tied for reg season conference crown last year. Thsi year they won it outright. And, the bigger difference, SLU has performed much better in non-conference play. This should enable SLU to get an NCAA invite. I would expect the team to get a first round road game without bye. I would be very surprised of any other scenario. But the NCAA is a funy strange organization.

I watched most of the game on the webcast today. Typical game for SLU as it outshot RI 2 to 1 but could not finish. RI got two good chances that resulted in goals. I thought the Bills simply did not look sharp or interested in the game.

There goes any chance of having a home game in the early rounds of the NCAA's.

How tough is the ACC in men's soccer? A very strong UNC team was seeded 7th in their conference tourney. Wow. Joe Germanese leading Duke to conference tourney title. SLU women? Frankly I will not be impressed until they win a couple of games in NCAA tourney. They did nothing in non-conference, couldn't win their conference, and won the conference title at home. Good for them, but I would be surprised to see them with any home games either. The program has been around long enough now to start doing some nice things in NCAA tourney. Last year was a nice start for them.

Both SLU soccer teams and athletic department staffers were at Humprey's this afternoon for the announcement of both NCAA bids. It was really fun watching how excited both teams reacted when SLU appeared on the NCAA seeding charts. Most players and coaches were expecting home games and got them. The bye on the men's side surprised a few players.

The progress of the women's soccer team is a neat story. Coach Champion started the program with three scholarships (of 12 the NCAA allowed) in 1996, so he basically played the first few seasons with walk-ons and academic scholarship students who also played good soccer players.

11 years later, SLU is up to about two-thirds of the allowable women's D1 NCAA soccer scholarships and in 2006 received their second consecutive bid. One wonders what the SLU women could do if they had a

full allotment of scholarships (now in the 13-15 scholarship range, not sure of the exact number). More skilled players and more depth can to wonders for your record. You just wonder how good SLU could be

if every team had the maximum number of scholarships allowed!!!

SLU's ladies beat Illinois in a non-conference game earlier this year and Illinois finished second in the Big10. A re-match of that game may be in the offering.