Pickup

Thanks to Nark for the use of the Billiken

I was by my lonesome again. 7 whites v 7 blues. Ian and Bryce on the same team. AK and Ian were really beating up on each other; it's been a baptism for AK but he's comfortable with the shoving. It's run run run non stop - I think the word's out that's what they're going to do and they better get used to it. Some of the half court sets look like european ball; the big man comes out and, if left alone, puts up a 3. Bryce and Ian both hit one and some others with their foot on the line. Obie loves to shoot from out there, maybe too much so. Dixson's stroke looks to be ineffective from more than 10 feet. It's clear to me that TL is going to be a much bigger part of the offense; they're setting screens for him and he takes a lot of 3's but certainly has kept his driving game...some of his finishes are amazing. It's fun to watch all these guy try to drive the lane when Bryce is in there - no deal. He holds his ground and just swats the shots away. Bryce has some really nice moves when he gets low position. He is weak on alley oops in transition and still brings the ball down when double teamed and often loses it. The biggest surprise to me since summer is McGuire. My first few viewings of him suggested a red shirt year, but he's found his stoke and has found a comfort level with the higher competition level. He has a very quick release and uses screens well to pop off of for a 10 footer in the lane. He's a tough kid. The players also have confidence in his shot and he gets the feeds when he's open. I can't wait to see these guys with more structure...and refs with whistles to see how it translates.

How did it work with them on the same team? I assume Ian was acting like a 4 while Byrce took the 5. Who was gaurding Ian? Did he get shut down by the opposing 4 or was he able to hold his own? How about defending the 4? Very encouraging words on DM. If we had a sniper for the first half of the season last year, we would have been dancin'.

As always Unca, thanks for the report.

I want to know how Ho. Dixon did. Really. Honest to God. I think the kid can flat out ball. I think he's going to start this year, or at least be a Freshman All-America candidate. I envision him dunking one home in the NCAA's and Dick Enberg going "Oh My! Horace Dixon with the flush! Timeout Duke!"

CUE UP the CBS NCAA song!

(Or toss it back to the studios and Greg Gumbel for a Cingular Wireless Report)

KL can definitely do it; it's just nice to have that 2nd guy...or 3rd if you count TL. I don't know if Mac will hit a comfort zone in the actual games this year - we've all seen it take awhile for some really good players, but I'm liking this recruit a lot.

Obie and Dixson took turns on Bryce. AK was on Ian, and was afraid one of them would break something with all the pushing, shoving, and hard fouls. AK may be a year away from a real contribution, but what a great education he's going to get from Ian. Curiously, it's the quick guards like TL and DB who can stop Ian - once he's in the paint facing the basket, determined to make the shot, they can leave their defensive assignment and have the hops to stuff him...but they know a lot of his moves. As far as 4/5, they were interchangeable - the nice thing about a tall guy at the head of the key is his vision and ability to make a pass that might not be there from an angle. Both were shooting open shots from near the top of the arc.

I recognize the sarcasm, but I'll reply anyway. I'm with UB when he said he's the best athlete on the team. I want to watch him sprint against Polk. The guy works hard, and practice hasn't started yet. There will be a lot of feedback on him after Fri nite and the first few weeks of practice. Maybe I've been drinking too much kuhl ayed.

You have to understand that I've watched Polk sprint in practices for 2 years now and I'm intrigued by Dixson's speed. I don't have a horse in the race, but I'm anxious to see it. Have you seen him? If the Saturday practice is at a convenient time, I'll be there.