TV Coverage

GUYMAN

The only way we get on Fox-Midwest is if one of our OOC opponents use the Fox stations.

If you gained access to FSMW through the Direct TV package, you'll have access to several of the A-10 games. Last years they were carried on the East Coast channels. I think FESN, Sun, Empire(?) were a few of them. Either way, you'll have a better chance of seeing the bills on the east coast than I do in Nashville.

I posted this before (and I will probably post it again when the season gets closer) but the easiest to use source of info on watching college bball is :

http://mattsarz44017.tripod.com/basketball2006.html

This is only partially done as broadcasting decisions are still being made but this site is updated frequently. There is also a college football page on that site which many people find useful.

This brings up a related point. I thought the UNC game was supposed to be on ESPN2. Now this game is being listed on this site and the SLU site as being on ESPNU (which is a huge difference). Did a switch happen or am I misremembering things (again!)?

You are correct, the Slubillikens site does, indeed, have this game as being shown on ESPNU. I looked at one of the articles on the site and it has ESPNU as well. This is definitely a change from what we were originally told. I think I even posted a comment about how I wanted the game on ESPN vs. the duece.

This really sucks. I've already marked my calendar for that day and have told my friends to get ready for a party. Now, it looks like I may not even be able to watch the game. Unbelievable. I'm pissed.

For the record it pisses me off immensely too. With all the handwringing and finger pointing and nit picking minutiae and speculating that goes on at this site it never ceases to amaze me how little people talk about the importance of TV in building a program and recruiting.

The game in question will be on an ESPN network, how many games last year were on such? I see it as a small step of progress. I plan to attend and Tivo from Directv - so Nashville change your setup or pay a bar tab.

This is not MLB where playing the Yankees in the post-season automatically garners FOX coverage - how many regular season hoops games will be played on Dec 22? Simply because UNC is coming to town doesn't mean Dickie V or the like from a status of the game perspective will accompnay them. May have been part of the hope in scheduling, but it has not happened.

Now, I will also defend Charter. WHO ELSE EITHER CAME TO SLU OR ACCEPTED SLU'S INVITE TO PUT THE GAMES ON THEIR STATION AND PAY (I guess) FOR THEIR CORPORATE LOGO TO BE ON THE FLOOR??????

Do we one day want all the games to be coveted by ESPN/ABC/CBS?? sure

Would I throw out a partner right now? I would not.

The Atlantic 10 has a contract with CSTV for game broadcasts. It is up to CSTV to negotiate with an outlet in each A-10 city. I don't know how this affects non A-10 cities. I also don't know if this contract only covers conference games or all games. Cheryl talked about this at the last Billiken Club meeting. Maybe someone else remembers more details.

She said the outlet in St. Louis had not been finalized. I have Dish and do get CSTV. So I'm hopefull, but I would expect Charter to at least attempt to carry them.

You miss the point. I will watch the game even if I have to go to a sports bar but so what. This isn't about me or Nashville's party posse. It's about exposure.

ESPN2 89 million homes

ESPNU 7 million homes

Do the math yourself.

I have no problem paying a bar tab...i have spent more money at bars than you probably make in a year. The fact of the matter is that this was advertised as a game on ESPN2. It was changed to ESPNU. They should not have advertised it as such it they had no intention of playing on the duece. Since you apparently have no idea what it is like to follow a team from out of town, lemme tell you; it sucks tremendously.

Nashville, I do have an idea of what it is like to follow a team from out of town - I am a Miami Dolphins fan living in STL which is the reason I have Directv which has Sunday NFL Ticket. An entire universe away in terms of access from you trying to follow SLU, but I understand a bit. Technology has helped my cause in following the Fins tremendously, as I would expect it has helped you in your quest around SLU, but again, to a lesser degree.

How many SLU games were on tv of any kind in Nashville last year?

I hope this year you get these 5 - UNC, A10 champ game, 2 NCAA wins.

Not even close, Cowboy. You can purchase the DirectTV Sunday ticket and you are set. I pay $9 per game to watch the bills over the internet...if our opposing team streams it. I pay $7 per month to listen to Bob and Earl on the radio. A few years ago, I purchased the ESPN college bball package so that I could watch 4 games. Last year, I was able to pick up a few A-10 TV games on Direct TV.

Is it so suprising and out of line that I was very excited to watch the Billikens on ESPN2 on my normal cable package? Is it even more outrageous that I'm upset that the university made an announcement and then, while nobody's watching, changed it to a channel that is not part of most cable packages. I don't believe Comcast in Nashville carries this station, but you better believe that once I get back in town, I will be on the phone with Comcast. And more than likely, pay some outrageous price so that I can watch 1 game...the biggest game on our schedule.

Yes 7M is an upgrade over local cable so if you think that "the state of nature" is a handful of people watching we can all rejoice that more handfuls can watch it on ESPNU (which was created as a dumping ground by ESPN to avoid a major lawsuit from conferences upset that they were not showing their games).

However, none of that changes the fact that SLU is a good enough program to get on ESPN/ESPN2 a few times a season (thankfully our conference got us one game on ESPN2 vs. St. Joe's). This year's team will be particularly entertaining. It also does not change the fact that UNC game was announced initially as an ESPN2 game. THAT IS THE POINT. SLU took a MAJOR hit to their media exposure and apparently few here care. TV is a MAJOR part of how fans/recruits view their team (yes, hard core fans will seek out ESPNU but the point is casual fans will not be exposed to the game). A good show and a packed Scott Kielvis Center will do a lot to help SLU's basketball program and it makes about a 20x difference to be on ESPN2 as opposed to ESPNU.