Jacob Pullen from Illinois Prep Bulls-eye

Recruiting News From NIKE Peach Jam

July 16, 2006

3:00 P.M. CST

6'0 guard Jacob Pullen from Proviso East High School in Maywood has solid offers from St. Louis, Dayton, and Xavier. While he is also receiving interest from both Marquette and Notre Dame, neither school has offered as of yet. Both Billiken head coach Brad Soderberg and Flyer head coach Brian Gregory were watching Pullen's every move at Peach Jam, while Iowa State was also monitoring him closely.

V

your passion for the local players is laudable, but the coaches are in the business of finding the best players for our TEAM. Many players wish to leave their hometown to get away, get on their own, so to speak. Don't fight it, it's there. Let's sit back and watch how things play out. These are young men, not little buttons we push to make things happen.

I'm sure the coaches will be putting the full court press on the best players they feel they can recruit to come here, regardless their origin. We all agree we want to 'close the borders', to be successful with the local kids, cause it then breeds success from those coming behind. But we have to deal with reality as well.

mhg

Pullen is a really nice player. V, I think you'd be happy to leave the area to sign this kid. We need to keep our other pipelines open, i.e. Angres Thorpe's Chicago base. The kid can really play, and a lot of Big East, Big 12, and Big 10 schools are starting to give him a lot of attention. I hope that his stock doesn't rise too fast so it comes down to his A-10 offers.

As for not having a credit card, maybe you could go to the ticket office in the West Pine gym. They seem to keep business hours there if you can make it in during a weekday. I'm not sure if you'd still need plastic, though.

(314) 977 4SLU is the phone number or you could go to the Billiken ticket office in West Pine. I'm not sure if the official schedule is out so I'm not sure if tickets are able to be purchased yet. You could always call Dwayne Polk, whom I'm sure is one of your favorite V boys and get some tickets from him. I'm also sure that we could start up a collection to send VTIME to that game as an Honorary Captain.

>>let's master st. louis first. Get Suggs Brandenburg, Roundtree, and >>Swopshire to replace Polk, Meyer, Brown and Husak in 2008 and then >>move on to Chicago.

Don't get me wrong, there is LOTS of good talent in St. Louis, however if we can start looking at players from Whitney Young and Proviso than lets do it! I would say that Chicago basketball is just a touch better than St. Louis basketball.

They are not good because they are local, they are good and they are local. It has more to do with being the coach for a few years and the continuity building the personal network of contacts that leads to players.

I want local players, maybe even more than you do. I believe though that we need to let the coaches do what they do best, coach and recruit, rather than putting limits on them regarding origin of birth, nationality, color, etc. I just want playahs!

mhg