Adam Morrison & Adidas

I saw this article featuring all of our favorite cry baby on brandweek.com today:

Adidas, Adam Morrison Lace Up Deal

June 27, 2006

NEW YORK -- Adidas said Tuesday it has signed Adam Morrison to a multiyear deal to appear in upcoming marketing campaigns and represent the company as a spokesman. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Morrison, a 6' 8" forward out of Gonzaga University, Spokane, Wash., is expected to be a top pick in the 2006 NBA lottery draft on Wednesday, June 28. His agent is Mark Bartelstein, president, Priority Sports and Entertainment, Chicago.

“Everyone at adidas is extremely excited about partnering with Adam. He has shown a love and desire for the game of basketball that truly sets him apart from others,†Marytn Brewer, vp-sports marketing at adidas America, Portland, Ore., said in a statement. “He has shown that both on the court and off the court he is a true competitor who takes on all obstacles and challenges head on.â€

--Staff Report

I still hate him.

Love him or hate him, everyone knows who he is, which is more than most of the guys in this year's draft can say. He's got charisma on and off the floor, a unique look, and he can really play. It's a great signing for Adidas.

He said unique, not attractive. How many guys in the league have long hair and a stash? He's very recognizable. I don't like him after some of his post game comments, and all the whining he does. But he's well spoken, a hell of a player, and stays out of trouble. I think it's a good contract for Addidas.

Kleenex? I believe Redick also shed some tears after his Dukies went down earlier than expected. Morrison plays harder and with more mental and physical intensity than just about any other player out there. I'll take him over the drunk-driving (and now injured, in an unrelated incident) Redick everyday of the week.

Trust me, "unique" was being nice. There's nothing pretty about that mug. I also do think he's charismatic, and an interesting kid, too. He's not just another athlete with nothing to say in interviews. He's a winner without being boring.

Adam Morrison is an extremely marketable player and I think by far the most marketable player in this years draft. Morrison is one of those players that opposing fans love to hate; he whines a lot, utilizes a little bit of the european soccer flopping to get favorable foul calls, and plays with an unblievable amount of passion and flamboyance. I do not think there are many players in the NBA like Adam Morrison. He is a well spoken kid and he actually has opinions on things happening outside of athletics. He has the scoring ability to make a big impact in the leauge and there are very few white non-foreign players in the NBA. I think he has a chance to be a very popular athlete. Adam Morrison does not fit a mold and I like that about him.

>Kleenex? I believe Redick also shed some tears after his

>Dukies went down earlier than expected.

I didn't mean to start the debate between Morrison & Redick (I forgot it was unavoidable), but after he decided to give up before the game was even over, Morrison was off by himself making a scene and throwing a tantrum. Redick played til the end and cried with his team. Besides: I hate Morrison. He's a baby.

In terms of marketing (being a marketing intern sitting at work right now...the whole reason I was on brandweek.com in the first place), I'd rather market and sell Adidas to entire teams rather than individual egomaniacs.

Redick was also the guy bricking his team to loses against UNC, in the ACC tourney, and ultimiately the NCAA tourney. JJ Redick cost me a good deal of money while I was in Vegas and I will never forgive him for that. He choked and I was more than happy to see his career end like that.

As far as marketing, the NBA markets the individual players or stars and not the team. Its all about Lebron, Melo, DWade, Kobe, and KG and not the team.

>As far as marketing, the NBA markets the individual players

>or stars and not the team. Its all about Lebron, Melo,

>DWade, Kobe, and KG and not the team.

To not distract from the Morrison debate TOO much, but I personally think a change wouldn't hurt. I'd love to see a commercial that has a high school basketball team or something promoting being a part of a team instead of one ego alone saying "be like me" (excluding MJ....he can do commercials by himself, I'm ok with that)...but I could be too far outside the box for that list of players above.

Marketing a high school basketball team or a small college team works when you're trying to sell an inspirational sports movie like Hoosiers, Remember the Titans, etc, etc. However, FGWL is 100% right when he says that NBA marketing is about the individual, and based on that individual's talent and personality. Whether right or wrong, that's the way it is. Morrison is perfect because he's got loads of talent and personality, and he's even a team player (some may argue against that, but he motivates and elevates a team like few other college players did). I don't see how he's a crybaby, either. There's nothing wrong with playing with emotion- not everyone has to be Tim Duncan.

>I guess he is a ***** for crying after playing his ass off

>for 40 minutes and losing by two in the Sweet 16. If Adam

>Morrison is a ***** then I would love for SLU to have a team

>full of *******. I would consider folding with three games

>remaining in the season with a potential tournament bid

>*****.

The problem was he didn't cry after 40 minutes of play. It was about 39 minutes and 45 seconds.

That is true, he did start crying before the game was actually over. My point is that some have mocked the passion and emotion that this kid played with when I would do anything to see this same kind of passion for the Billikens. Ian Vouyoukas constantly looks and plays like he needs someone to throw some cold water on him to wake him up. (maybe that could become a job of the student managers) The point is I will take a kid pouring out his emotions for his team, even if it results in him crying on the court with 15 seconds left to play in the Sweet 16.

>Adam Morrison is an extremely marketable player and I think

>by far the most marketable player in this years draft.

>Morrison is one of those players that opposing fans love to

>hate; he whines a lot, utilizes a little bit of the european

>soccer flopping to get favorable foul calls, and plays with

>an unblievable amount of passion and flamboyance. I do not

>think there are many players in the NBA like Adam Morrison.

>He is a well spoken kid and he actually has opinions on

>things happening outside of athletics. He has the scoring

>ability to make a big impact in the leauge and there are

>very few white non-foreign players in the NBA. I think he

>has a chance to be a very popular athlete. Adam Morrison

>does not fit a mold and I like that about him.

I am so sick of hearing this passion crap. He gives a fist pump after even the simplest of converted plays. Don't confuse it with passion. Kevin Lisch can just about do everything Morrison can. he just doesnt play in a system where the coach is going to run 50 screens and double backpicks to get him open. His assists numbers are pitiful. I think Brandon Roy is a superior players and so is Rudy Gay. The steals of the draft are Randy Foye, Shawne Williams, Mo Ager, and Shannon Brown.

I think Ian is a great player, I am just saying that the majority of the time it looks like he is running on little to no sleep. He shows fire at times, but not consistently. My comment was not meant as a bash to Ian or his ability, it was a compliment to Morrison and also a shot at the overall lack of passion the Billikens showed to end the season.

>I think Ian is a great player, I am just saying that the

>majority of the time it looks like he is running on little

>to no sleep.

You can't really change that without surgery.....that's just what he always looks like.....before we called him "Zeus" his nickname was "Big Sleepy"