Summer

>scored 3.7 points per game as a sophomore and made only 1 of

>8 3 pointers that season. By his senior year he scored 9.7

>points per game and shot 47% from the field including 22 3

>pointers.

>

the difference between college sophomore b-ball players and juniors is remarkable and in the case of SLU we've had a number of players who either contributed little to nothing early in their careers and became studs later. Everybody seems very excited about next year's team based on the hopeful improvement of tommie, kevin, and ian, but I'm more excited based on the expected improvement of the sophomore (junior-to-be) class.

the forgotten man in all talk about lineups etc. seem to be Polk. If he becomes a decent shooter he could rally do some damage. He had some games last year where the Bills were clearly a better team with him in the game picking up the pace of the game and being a pest on the defensive end. In can happen. After all Drejaj went from a 29% 3-point shooter to a 41% shooter in just one year.

>I agree...points are points.

>

>Everybody keeps waiting for Luke Meyer to get beat out, like

>everyone did with Drejaj and Sloan. Yet all these guys do

>is produce.

>

>I believe Luke's first game starting last year was the

>Xavier game in Cincy...and thats when we went on our run...

>

>Luke is a "glue guy" who does the dirty work to make

>everyone else better. He also gets to the line and makes

>his free throws.

>

>The game he played against Withers last year had a lot to do

>with us coming out of Charlotte with a "w".

>

>

>PS -- Darius Miles doesn't get near Ian in pick-up games.

>Especially to "bang".

Drejaj producing? That's funny.

"Meyer will get a lot of minutes at the 4 this year because the other 3 options include two freshmen and a 5th year senior Brad can't seem to trust."

How many minutes do you consider "a lot"? He only played 17 minutes a game last year when his only competition at the 4 was JJ. With two other guys in the mix, one would think his minutes would go down at the 4 spot. However there are substantial minutes at the small forward due to Drejaj's graduation.

I would hope Luke gets very, very few minutes if any at the 4. I agree there are obvious minutes to earn as the 3rd guard and I would consider the job wide open between DP, DB and LM and maybe we will be pleasantly surprised and see DM fight his way into the mix. I think the same goes for the 4. Iwould think we told AK that the job was open to be earned.

Personally I'd like to see DB win the job as I think he has so much to offer. He's an outstanding athelete and we have seen him show glimpses of being a very good player. At the banquet ... UB said he was working his ass off ...

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

>"Meyer will get a lot of minutes at the 4 this year because

>the other 3 options include two freshmen and a 5th year

>senior Brad can't seem to trust."

>

>How many minutes do you consider "a lot"? He only played 17

>minutes a game last year when his only competition at the 4

>was JJ. With two other guys in the mix, one would think his

>minutes would go down at the 4 spot. However there are

>substantial minutes at the small forward due to Drejaj's

>graduation.

That average is very skewed considering the first half of the season he barely saw the floor due in part to his foot injury and lack of confidence from Brad. Once he was moved into the starting lineup he was on the floor and in the 4 position probably close to 25 minutes a game. So unless one of the three forwards (AK, OI, or JJ) step up, he will probably continue to see 15-20 minutes a game at the 4 and some more at the 3. I hope he doesn't play the 4 much, but realistically it's hard to believe he won't play there a lot.

Nashville Billiken, I think you are basically referring to the fact that LM is white when you say he "looks the least athletic" compared to DP and DB. I don't think that you mean anything negative, but why does Luke have to be a "gym rat" or a "heady ballplayer" when Danny Brown is "athletic". DB could be the second coming of Albert Einstein for all we know. I know I saw sporadic periods of good play out of both of them. I think Luke was out there more because he was slightly better suited to playing inside. I like both of them, but if I see DB miss any more hurried layups or watch LM short arm any more eight foot jumpers from the baseline I'm gonna puke. Hopefully they both really mature into more confident players

>If you see Luke playing at the 4 "a lot", then who is going

>to start at the other guard spot? In other words, explain

>why Danny or Polk would start over Luke at the other guard

>spot.

Or, to look at another angle, explain why we are so hard up at 4 that we have to start a 6'5" player at the 4 when there are 3 other options at that position. Luke's natural position is 3. I can see Luke getting occational minutes at 4 when Brad wants to go small but I just don't see a senario where Luke Meyer plays the bulk of the minutes at 4 this season.

Will Luke Meyer contribute as much to this team as Chris Sloan? Man, that would be saying alot. I'd like to see it happen because that would mean Luke had picked up his shooting as, in my mind, the single biggest hindrence to Luke Meyer being a serious cog in the Billiken machine is shooting. With Tommie, Lisch and Ian garnering so much attention from the opposing defense, whoever plays the 3 and 4 for us are going to have open looks. It's inevitable. Luke (or Danny) being able to spot up from 15 and consistently knock it down would be huge. That's not a lot to ask but it's something that makes a tremendous difference to our offense.

>If you see Luke playing at the 4 "a lot", then who is going

>to start at the other guard spot? In other words, explain

>why Danny or Polk would start over Luke at the other guard

>spot.

it's possible either danny or or dwayne will play or start at the other guard spot considering not the guard situation, but the 4-man situation. Luke won't play the 4 because of anything to do with danny or dwayne, but rather because of our issues that still remain at the 4 spot. There are serious questions there. Can AK or OI be ready to play at the college level? Can JJ step up his game? I hope the answers to both those questions are yes, but we really don't know at this point and last year, Luke pretty much started and played the bulk of his minutes at the 4-spot during the second half of the season. Unless those questions are answered, he'll probably continue to play there a lot. I'm not saying this from the perspective of what I want to see, but rather realistically want Brad will be once again forced to do. Personally, I hope we see a starting lineup of TL, KL, IV, DB, and OI or AK or JJ because that's the best lineup we can put out there and one of those three power forwards has earned that spot. Only time will tell whether or not that will happen.

>Or, to look at another angle, explain why we are so hard up

>at 4 that we have to start a 6'5" player at the 4 when there

>are 3 other options at that position. Luke's natural

>position is 3. I can see Luke getting occational minutes at

>4 when Brad wants to go small but I just don't see a senario

>where Luke Meyer plays the bulk of the minutes at 4 this

>season.

I can't explain why we haven't been able to recruit a 4 but those that think that one of the freshman will be able to start immediately or that JJ and Brad will see eye to eye are being very optimistic in my opinion. I'm not happy to say it, but I think Luke will get 15-20 minutes at the 4 this year. This is a sad result of our complete inability to bring in a ready-to-play 4-man in the past 3 recruiting classes.

>What makes you think that Knollmeyer isn't ready to play?

nothing really, except you're relying on a freshman. the question is simply can Knollmeyer as a freshman or Obi coming off injury contribute at the 4 and provide us with a better lineup than when Luke is in the 4 and we're playing a 4-guard offense. I hope so, because it makes us a better team. But those are big question marks at this point and we really won't know until November.

One plus is we have 40 minutes to divide between 3 players. Also on the plus side is that scoring from the position isn't a big neccesity. Of course it would be nice, but what we really need is defense and rebounding along with the ability to put back in trash points. IMO that is the major reason why we will be ok at the 4. If we were looking to get 15ppg from the position, I'd be concerned, but what I think we need from the position ... not from any individual but from all 40 minutes combined at the position is 10 and 8 with good defense. I think we can get that

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

Good Post Skip. I was going to post the same concept. We have three offensive studs already. We don't need much O from the 4. We have 3 guys who are 6'8". Rotate all 3 throughout the game and get 10 and 8. We have no problem at the 4.

Well hey, VeeTime, why don't you hit D Miles up on his Sidekick and tell him he can run somewhere else. He should be working Voyoukas to death out there. It would benefit Voyuokas to rough up with an NBA All-Star. You seem like you're close to him. I mean not posse close, but hey, you can dream, right? Get him on the phone.

>Good Post Skip. I was going to post the same concept. We

>have three offensive studs already. We don't need much O

>from the 4. We have 3 guys who are 6'8". Rotate all 3

>throughout the game and get 10 and 8. We have no problem at

>the 4.

i can certainly live with that...

>Good Post Skip. I was going to post the same concept. We

>have three offensive studs already. We don't need much O

>from the 4. We have 3 guys who are 6'8". Rotate all 3

>throughout the game and get 10 and 8. We have no problem at

>the 4.

surely you'll expect more than that out of Ian this season as he starts at the 4. I dont expect either of the freshman to beat out Bryce. This is Bryce's chance to live up to his potential.

Ian might get a few minutes a game with Bryce but that will be it.

Against certain teams I would like too see it more, but it won't happen. The freshmen aren't competing with Bryce. Bryce's turn will come and I have confidence he will do well.

Ian couldn't guard many of the 4's.

>"Meyer will get a lot of minutes at the 4 this year because

>the other 3 options include two freshmen and a 5th year

>senior Brad can't seem to trust."

>

>How many minutes do you consider "a lot"? He only played 17

>minutes a game last year when his only competition at the 4

>was JJ. With two other guys in the mix, one would think his

>minutes would go down at the 4 spot. However there are

>substantial minutes at the small forward due to Drejaj's

>graduation.

JJ wasn't Luke's only competition at the pf. You forget Newborne.

> Ian might get a few minutes a game with Bryce but that

>will be it.

>

> Against certain teams I would like too see it more, but it

>won't happen. The freshmen aren't competing with Bryce.

>Bryce's turn will come and I have confidence he will do

>well.

>

> Ian couldn't guard many of the 4's.

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H.

>Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players

>and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

How hard would it be for Ian to guard a 4 in the pack defense. Defense has never been a problem for Soderberg's teams. The opposing pf needs to worry about guarding our all-conference center.

>Well hey, VeeTime, why don't you hit D Miles up on his

>Sidekick and tell him he can run somewhere else. He should

>be working Voyoukas to death out there. It would benefit

>Voyuokas to rough up with an NBA All-Star. You seem like

>you're close to him. I mean not posse close, but hey, you

>can dream, right? Get him on the phone.

Posse? Hmm. Interesting choice of words...........

because he doesn't put guys like Ian at the 4. You still close on your man in the pack, and you have to be able to guard them on the perimeter. Do you understand the pack?