More Department Shake ups- Flanagan Out (Who is next??

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 9, 2006 Contact: Doug McIlhagga

FLANAGAN RESIGNS AS SWA

ST. LOUIS—Saint Louis University director of athletics Cheryl L. Levick today announced that senior associate director of athletics and senior woman administrator Lori Flanagan has resigned effective Fri., June 9, to pursue other career opportunities. A nation-wide search to fill the position will begin immediately.

“Lori has been a valuable administrator during her 14-year tenure, and her integrity and work ethic played a key role in the growth of this department,†Levick said. “Her commitment to creating a positive student-athlete experience and community service have been an asset to the department. We have been extremely proud of our NCAA compliance record and our student-athlete academic achievements during Lori’s management of those areas. We know that she will continue to enjoy success wherever her career path next takes her.â€

Flanagan joined the athletic department in the summer of 1992 as assistant director of athletics and senior woman administrator. She was promoted to senior associate director of athletics for administration in 1999. Flanagan served as liaison to the Atlantic 10 Conference and as the SWA to ensure program compliance within Title IX and gender equity. She was a member of the NCAA Division I Women’s National Tennis Committee from 1999 to 2004 and the NCAA Women’s Softball National Committee in 2005. She has served as part of an NCAA Peer Certification Review Team as well.

Flanagan managed the day-to-day operations of the department. She was responsible for the areas of academics, facilities, scholarships, student services, compliance, sports medicine, drug testing and sport scheduling. Her other responsibilities included directly supervising the sports of women’s soccer, women’s volleyball, field hockey and softball, men’s and women’s tennis and men’s and women’s swimming and diving.

The Saint Louis University Women’s Commission honored Flanagan in 2002 as one of five “Women of the Year†for her outstanding contribution to the University and its mission. The student members of Alpha Sigma Nu, the national Jesuit honor society, also recognized Flanagan in March 2000 when they inducted her as an honorary member.

— www.slubillikens.com —

Good riddance to Lori. She was not well-liked around the athletic department, particularly among men's sports. She fit in fine with the lackluster, penny-pinching Doug Woolard era, but I don't see her bringing much to the table for a department that wants to go somewhere.

What Volfan fails to point out is that these shake-ups need to take place in order for the athletic department to grow, improve, and have a singular mission. They aren't going to bring in tens of millions in their first months; it's a very long-term process.

volfan,

if in the past you would have talked about billiken basketball in general, or as a regular fan....you would not of had a problem. Instead, you only repeated hallway comments or repeated things you heard in your office.

Once you stated you were an intern, and then mentioned your boss's name, I knew you were done. I'm somewhat surpised you didn't lose your job.

Consider it a lesson learned!

The wicked witch is gone. Thank God! She was one of the most hated people in the department. She favored certain coaches and treated others like dog crap. I think this is a great move for the department. She will not be missed at all. Neither will her mood swings!

Lori was a great lady. I know she was not everyone's favorite, however she had to play the "bad guy" in many roles. I was able to work with her closely many times and I enjoyed her dry sense of humor and work ethic. I wish he luck in whatever she does in the future.

Metz- I almost got away with the laundry thing too, however she caught me one morning sneak out after weights. DAMN! However, she was able to make a joke out of it and laugh at the situation. She always got a bad wrap. Watch out for those dryers...they are fast!!

I whole-heartedly disagree with all of the negativity towards this woman. She was always extremely helpful and nice to me over this past year that I interacted with her and I never once had a problem with her. I did hear one complaint from one office in the AD, but their complaint was selfish and I didn't pay much attention to it.

I was actually sad to see that she resigned. She is a cool lady and I only have good hopes for her in the future.

>I whole-heartedly disagree with all of the negativity

>towards this woman. She was always extremely helpful and

>nice to me over this past year that I interacted with her

>and I never once had a problem with her. I did hear one

>complaint from one office in the AD, but their complaint was

>selfish and I didn't pay much attention to it.

>

>I was actually sad to see that she resigned. She is a cool

>lady and I only have good hopes for her in the future.

Blue crew, Let me guess that you are a women and had limited contact with lori? That might explain why you had a favorable impression of Lori.

>Blue crew, Let me guess that you are a women and had limited

>contact with lori? That might explain why you had a

>favorable impression of Lori.

You are implying that Lori Flanagan is a sexist...be careful. I am a woman, but that doesn't have anything to do with it, though you may think it does. I would send in my VPs to talk to her sometimes too and they are men, and they never had any problems with her.

Everyone has aspects of their job that other people do not understand and are quick to judge them on, as I'm sure most of the people on this board can relate to. She had a job to do but you need to be able to separate her business-self and her as a person.

Seems to me that when a new leader takes over at the top, subordinate heads tend to roll. Call it bringing in your own people, instituting fresh blood, changing ideas or whatever, it happens. Its Cheryl's department and she's on the blame line so if the whoel group goes, the whole group goes. For once, however, I'd like to see more SLU folks use the department as a stepping stone upward .... other than Woolard, Yow, Romar and Spoon (who came out of retirement to take UNLV) very few of our folks ever move onward and upward ala Self, Leitao, Matta and others. I know there are more but I can't think of too many right now .... I think if you're an "up-and-comer" we'd be replacing a whole lot more of our folks for other reasons other than retirements and resignations.

No matter the person, some will say boo-hoo, others will say good riddance. Fact of life so it goes.

I offer her best wishes, but I couldn't pick her out of a lineup if I had to. No dealings whatsoever.

others who moved up....

Jamie Pollard is the AD at Iowa State

Ken Bothof is the AD at UW-GB

Pete Cautilli is the Business Manager at Louisville

Randy Bennett is the Head Coach at St. Mary's

Jay Jones at NCAA Office

Kevin Clark is the Business Manager at Indiana

Kosha Irby went to USF with Woolard

Val Kotys works with the Cardinals

Tere Smith is the Ticket Manager at the Savvis Center

When attending the SLU on-campus sporting events you would alway see Lori Flanagan in attendance. She was easy to talk to and was very open and informative.

Keep in mind that our AD Cheryl Levick spent 12 years at Stanford as the senior associate athletic director and senior women's administrator (SWA)....the same job that Lori held at SLU.

I'm not sure why Lori left SLU.....but I'm very certain that Ms. Levick knows what she wants out of the SWA position.

Levick is committed to making "every" SLU team very competitive and in the top tier of their respective A-10 standings. If / when there is another conference shake-up, Levick wants SLU's athletic program to be an across the board complete package. The new SWA will play a key role in making that happen.