Sports Information at SLU

This is the third coach in the last couple of months, that Sports Info has spun their departure. I can assure you Jim Molloy was fired. I don't know why they continue to do this. If they come out and said that the coach was let go then I think we would all understand. I don't like the way we are spinning departures. When someone does decide to leave on their own, there will always be that doubt now. I don't like this policy set forth. But according to Roy and his band of brothers I don't know anything because I don't send them my resume and contact info. By the way guy's, your not going to get it!

so let's assume all three of these coaches indeed got fired. in your infinite highly qualfied wisdom, why should they have not been fired?

as to not getting your resume, fine, but then dont throw your supposed credentials around. anyone can say they run ibm or killed jimmy hoffa or even played and coached division one basketball and call themselves "billsboys".

>so let's assume all three of these coaches indeed got fired.

> in your infinite highly qualfied wisdom, why should they

>have not been fired?

>

>as to not getting your resume, fine, but then dont throw

>your supposed credentials around. anyone can say they run

>ibm or killed jimmy hoffa or even played and coached

>division one basketball and call themselves "billsboys".

Once again you are missing the point. I could care less if people are fired or not. CL's job is her job. I have a problem with this crap of people being fired then telling everyone they want to spend time with their families. All you have to do is say they are going in a different direction. Why the lies??

I don't think these coaches left on their own accord, either, but since when do athletic departments publicize firing people? Normally it's the outside press that breaks that information, but wouldn't bother on coaches that aren't more high-profile. That leaves it up to the athletic department to do what they want. I wouldn't blame the SID or his people about these candy-coated stories; we probably shouldn't expect anything else.

As for your resume, Billsboys, I sure hope it contains less grammatical errors than every barely-intelligible sentence you've written on this board.

ok, now i see what you are saying and i apologize for going in a different direction.

who here as ever defended our sports information people? i dont think anyone. the sid and the marketing folks for slu athletics has been pathetic forever. i wouldnt necessarily spin it as a cheryl thing.

if it is true that they really didnt quit or retire or resign to pursue other interests, maybe they think they are helping the ousted parties.

I think that is pretty standard in business. It's a courtesy to the employee as well as the institution. Unless there is a MAJOR scandal, details of most firings are kept under wraps. Just to give you an example, a department that I work closely with just released about 10 people. I have information as to why they were fired. But the official word was that "these people are no longer employeed by Vanderbilt". It's better for everybody that way.

>I think that is pretty standard in business. It's a courtesy

>to the employee as well as the institution. Unless there is

>a MAJOR scandal, details of most firings are kept under

>wraps. Just to give you an example, a department that I work

>closely with just released about 10 people. I have

>information as to why they were fired. But the official word

>was that "these people are no longer employeed by

>Vanderbilt". It's better for everybody that way.

Nashville, I would have no problem with that. I agree you don't need to go into details about someone being fired. My problem is this bs of people getting fired then telling everyone they are leaving to pursue other jobs or wanted to leave to spend time with families.

so you just want to say they were fired and leave it at that? or how would you announce it?

isnt it somewhat humanistic to try to help the leaving party out with the announcement?

personally i couldnt care less either way, but i can see why it might be done that way. especially on the lesser sports level.

Billyboy - how these are handled is SOP. Keeps everybody clean and out of court. Either way - who cares why they left - they are gone. I guess if you were close to the respective programs then you might want to know buy then again you probably do already know if that is the case. My guess is that when CL had them set goals for the season last year, she told them they had to show improvement in recruiting and playing - if it did not happen then they would be gone. From what I saw, the softball program was not doing very well.

As someone who worked alongisde Doug, Chuck and Diane in the SID's office and with Media Relations, let me tell you, this comes as NO surprise. When you enter their office in DuBourg, you enter the spin-zone.

They also are very liberal when it comes to ruling basehits and errors at baseball and softball games in favor of the other team when our players clearly E-6 it.

.. on your resume .... "fired" or "resigned?" I don't know all the issues in the Billiken athletic department but as far as basketball goes ..... Albrecht, Coleman, and Ekker were all fired were they not? None of those ever resurfaced at anything of note unless you count Ekker's stints in the CBA or as as assitant with the Clevelnad Cavaliers. Was Grawer "fired?" I can't recall but even if he wasn't, where did he go once out of this program? I know it wasn't on to bigger things although the high school gig might have been better.

I recall Spoon and Romar resigning. Spoon went into retirement but we all know that didn'tlast. Romar went home to YouDub. And that's another thing ... how come Romar got so much better as a recruiter when he left here and went to Seattle? I seem to recall he had some success at Pepperdine as well. And he was always the one who got the credit for stocking Harrick's national title team at UCLA. Did he suddenly move in and out of recruting knowledge or was it because the schools' appeal cahnged drastically from place to place?

is this "change of coaches" compelte with spin? You betcha' but I don't think any school would do it much differently.