LIDELL

slu72

Ellis plays center for Riley sometimes. He does play in the east though.

Bonner for a stretch was really good for the knicks. He started some and was the 6th man. He was well liked by the fans and Riley loves him. Ellis obviously is the superior player, but if Bonner wanted to he could have played in the league for a while longer. The NBA just wasn't a sure thing and Europe was. Bonner is still a big name in the city, because of his charitable work and his summer league. St. Louisans would not know Laphonso Ellis from Adam.

torch said, "St. Louisans would not know Laphonso Ellis from Adam."

which is pretty much my point. ellis turned his back on the area. went to notre dame, still became a big star, and st louis has in turn forgotten him. bonner stayed home at slu, went on to be probably the greatest billiken ever then had a short ok nba career and has been playing in europe since. yet bonner is the returning hero whenever he comes home.

>bonner and ellis are almost identical in size and both play

>pf.

What does that have to do with you saying Bonner was in the NBA for a "cup of coffee"? Does one's career have to match Laphonso Ellis before it is considered a respectable career? He played 5+ years in the NBA and has had a long and lucrative run in Europe. No need to dis the guy.

BTW, Bonner is not 6'8".

jj, i wasnt dissing bonner. i was only pointing out an identical player position wise and size wise who has had a longer and more successful nba career that also was a local high school star but decided to go away to school would not garner near the love that anthony would.

as to the size, i used the source you provided for getting both ellis and bonner's physical dimensions.

i never said ellis was any kind of a standard that separated good or bad or anything like that. again i just used ellis because they were similar high school and college backgrounds, played the same position and were the same size. it is obvious that ellis had the better pro career. i dont see that as a rip on bonner.

bonner is the greatest billiken ever. i also admire the man tremendously. and i dont remember the last time i was in his presense that i didnt get a little choked up. i can guarantee you that i wold be one of the people clapping and screaming like mad when bonner would be introduced, and i probably would at best politely clap a couple of times if ellis was introduced. still i am enough of a realist to know that ellis is/was the better player. but if you cant see the point i was trying to make, i am sorry.

I'm sure jjray will relent if you take back the statement that Anthony Bonner "had a cup of coffee" in the NBA. Five full seasons is not "a cup of coffee." To me, a "cup of coffee" in the league is anything from barely making the team out of training camp and lasting just long enough for an injured player to return to the squad to getting spot play for less than a full season or spot play for less than a full season spread out over multiple season when the reason for greater playing time is not injury.

I know you have the utmost respect and admiration for Anthony Bonner and you aren't dissing him, but perhaps you don't fully realize the meaning of the term, "cup of coffee."

well if i said that, i would agree with his ire, but i did not. my exact words were,

"bonner basically had a little more than a cup of coffee in the nba and has played the majority of his career overseas."

a little more than means he did have more than "a cup of coffee", but i still wouldnt consider it a long nba career.

now if anyone thinks anthony had a long nba career when in reality he only played in 5 seasons and only three of those did he average more than 20 minutes per game. remember, there are 12 minutes per quarter. thus he was playing exclusively backup minutes for most of his career. to me, that is a little more than a cup of coffee. he did have two really nice seasons as the starting power forward for the knicks, but that was really the highpoint of his nba career.