silver lining from the Morris thing?

jjray

Brad wanted the team to have one pure point for next year and the guy he picked turns out to be a loser in the classroom (fails to pass a JUCO class). Hey, this sort of stuff happens. However, the fact that Brad likes all his guards to be ballhandler / combo types sure helps the situation. We shall have back our starting point from last year (Fish), a guy who showed promising handling the rock last year (Drejaj), and a freshman signed as a 2 but who played point his senior year in high school (Clarke). No true point but we have one on the way in next year's class--Polk.

Now we have an extra scholarship in hand with lots of possibilities. With Drejaj, Clarke and Polk to be on the roster for the 2004-2005 season, it's not critical we sign a guard. Assuming Shaw takes the scholarship we have offered him, we still have two more scholarships available. That allows us to hold one for Liddell, even if he needs to sit out all of the 2004-2005 season to get eligible (and I think this player is worth it) and still have another scholarship in hand for the best player to fall to us late. That could be a 3, combo guard, or PF--best player available where we have a need.

My only concern is the press. Fisher was not that stellar breaking the press. Maybe he will be better when he is the option, not Marque. But who will replace Marque in that respect?

Steve

i dont remember anyone but marque bringing the ball up the floor versus a press for the last two years. not saying that fisher can or cannot do it, i think it is an unknown. i would doubt he would be as good as marque doing it, but then i dont know any guard in billiken history that could do that except maybe david burns.

my guess is that the billikens would not try to "dribble" through a press anymore. any basketball coach would tell you that UNLESS you have a arque perry on your team, trying to dribble through a zone press is suicide. you beat a press by passing ahead of the trap and creating 3-2, 2-1, 3-1 advantages. coach soderberg is much too traditionally rooted to do otherwise. he let marque do it because marque was exceptional.

i think some of you dont realize just how exceptional marque was. if marque would have been a very good outside shooter, he would have been a lottery pick imo or if he had been given the chance to be a pure point guard the last two seasons he would have gotten drafted. instead for the good of the billikens he played wing on offense and was held back reputation wise. i hope he goes to europe and gets his chance to prove the world what they missed.

If Bryant can do it, excellent. But in response to Roy. There were a few times in which Fisher and Drejaj were the ones in there when Marque was taking a breather and it wasn't very pretty IMO. I am not saying he can't do it, but I am uneasy that he can.

Steve

The very few times that I recall Fish and Drejaj in the game together last year playing the 1-2, it was Drejaj who brought the ball up against any sort of pressure, not Fish. As Roy said, if we get pressed, pasing is the way out. It was great last year to have the luxury of throwing the ball to Marque and letting him deal with it. However, we shall have enough skilled players on the court this coming season to deal with the press as long as they work together and people come back to help out. I am sure Brad will drill the guys on it and we shall be fine.

I would like a do everything guy like Marque too but he is gone. Bryant, Fish and Drejaj will be able to handle it. We may be better off, I am looking forward to more instances of Izik getting the ball at half court and taking it all the way himself.

We were one of the top teams in terms of fewest amount of turn overs in the NCAA last year. I'm not a fan of Bobby Knight but his philosophy is to play smart and cut down on all those mistakes such as fouls and turn overs. I agree with that. We may not have barn burners but as long as they control the ball and make smart choices we can play with anyone. Guys that can shoot won't hurt either (I'll qualify that with guys that can shoot and aren't afraid too).