Other catholic schools' message boards

I don't understand the ND preference for Creighton over SLU. Perhaps some personal relationships?

With no professional basketball in St. Louis, SLU stands to garner a lot of media attention in the St. Louis area. With ND in the conference, this would give their basketball program exposure in the St. Louis metro area.

Academically, they may be comparable, but I believe SLU is rated a bit higher. I just don't get it. Again, perhaps one or more of the powers that be from ND are from Omaha?

If the rumors regarding Notre Dame lobbying for Creigton are true, then I suspect it is driven by competition. A couple of interesting facts:

(1) SLU has the second largest endowment of any catholic university not located on a coast (after Notre Dame) and the third largest endowment of any catholic university anywhere in the US (after ND and BC). http://www.aas.duke.edu/development/Miscel...ts_2000-01.html

(2) St. Louis has one of the largest Notre Dame almuni popluations in the country. http://alumni.nd.edu/clubs/01%20club%20analysis.doc

(3) SLU is potentially Notre Dame's biggest competitor among catholic universities not located on a coast, and Notre Dame arguably competes with SLU for catholic sports fans in St. Louis.

I have to believe that Notre Dame has similar issues with Marquette and Depaul, though, in the Chicago market. In either Chicago or St. Louis, if a Catholic student wishes to attend a Catholic university outside his or her home city, Notre Dame would presumably be the first choice on most lists.

SLU has certainly achieved quite a bit, albeit with little fanfare. Again, I think this hypothetical conference would add something to public perception for SLU and elevate its "perceived" academic standing. In addition, the proposed conference would be a great basketball conference. I think I'd look into exchanging my Ram season tickets for Bills tickets.

>If the rumors regarding Notre Dame lobbying for Creigton are

>true, then I suspect it is driven by competition. A couple

>of interesting facts:

>

>(1) SLU has the second largest endowment of any catholic

>university not located on a coast (after Notre Dame) and the

>third largest endowment of any catholic university anywhere

>in the US (after ND and BC).

>http://www.aas.duke.edu/development/Miscel...ts_2000-01.html

>

>(2) St. Louis has one of the largest Notre Dame almuni

>popluations in the country.

>http://alumni.nd.edu/clubs/01%20club%20analysis.doc

>

>(3) SLU is potentially Notre Dame's biggest competitor among

>catholic universities not located on a coast, and Notre Dame

>arguably competes with SLU for catholic sports fans in St.

>Louis.

I agree with David's analysis that is well supported by facts (nice to see!). Under David's analysis, ND does not want to play SLU for the same reason that MIZZOU does not--they are already viewed as at a higher level atheletically and, thus, they risk injury to that perception if they come to play the Billikens every year (twice a year in ND's case if we end up in the same conference) in a key market for their school. But I also wonder if there is not the Bennett--Soderberg curse at work here as well. Other teams know that the Bennett--Soderberg system employed by SLU can allow us to grind out wins against more talented teams in any given game. There was a buzz among the coaches at the CUSA tourney that they did not want to play SLU for that exact reason. ND, over time, may be able to pull a higher caliber of player into their b-ball program; however, Coach Soderberg is the equalizer and they know that, even with superior talent, SLU is going to garner its fair share of wins. Maybe they view it as a no-win situation and would rather trade punches with the Bluejays (who will be no walk in the park for ND on the hardwood as well) but are not located in a big ND market.

someone was telling me at the conference tourney this past year that when grawer was the coach, digger phelps was in town for something and digger was asked if notre dame would be successful if they came to keil to play. phelps said, he thought so, but he would want to know who the irish would play at keil before saying for sure.

SLU played ND at South Bend in Grawer's 3rd year ((give or take a year). I had that game on radio and it was a real low-scoring grind it out affair (with SLU leading or close at half if I remember correctly).

I agree. ND is my second least favorite program (after the Tigers, of course). When I first became a big college basketball fan in the early to mid '80's, I really liked ND and MU, but their respective fans turned me off very quickly.

If I read those messages correctly about the link to Creighton, I got the impression that the connection was related to the baseball coach. That sounds like a weak link, but maybe the baseball coaches really do have some influence.

Creighton has had more recent success in basketball and they have retained their coach. Travel wise, Omaha is half again as far from South Bend as St. Louis.

As far as I'm concerned, the Irish have a great history and terrific fan support. Are the fans arrogant? They do have a history of winning and if a team is winning, the fans will portray some arrogance. There is a difference between those who are arrogant but can back up their arrogance, versus those are are merely arrogant. I put the Irish in the first category (in football and academics anyway, basketball is on the comeback).

One could look at Mizzou, though and see a different story. I have several MU relatives and they all like to criticize SLU's athletics, raising questions as to why such an inferior opponent is even worthy of Mizzou's attention (perhaps a "size" issue). This new conference alliance stands to elevate SLU's perception and will make it harder for Quin to duck playing SLU (i.e., it will be difficult for Mizzou to portray avoiding playing SLU based on any "inferiority" mantra).