Chris Sloan

That's too bad, but I'm sure they won't have any problems finding a new D.O.B. Any idea when they will announce Jamall being the new assistant coach?

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

tdell, you are sure that chris will no longer be the director of basketball operations?

i just assumed he was trying to get a promotion to an assitant coach.

that said, at some point if chris sloan wants to be a coach, he likely needs to move on to a smaller program or somewhere else that will let him learn the ropes as an assistant coach.

I dont know when they will announce Jamall being a coach.Chris Sloan is going to meet with Sodie to try to get a diffrent position.He might get his job back,but as of today he is no longer the D.O.B. I get all my info from the coaches.I wish Chris well in whatever happens

Breaking into the D1 coaching ranks is a tough road and you need a few connections and a lot of luck!

Chris may not have the needed patience. In addition, he has other skills and may have other opportunities.

If Anthony Beane would have got the head job at Southeast Missouri State, Chris would have any opportunity to be a full time assistant. It didn't happen.

Lance LaVetter was DOB at SLU for 3 years under Coach Romar. He has also been DOB for Romar since Lorenzo went to Washington 3 or 4 years ago. Lance is truly paying his dues.

DOB is in charge of the game film exchange duties, summer camp, team travel(reservations, tickets, meals etc...) Basically, he does all the behind the scenes work, he can help out in drills in practice, can not do much coaching, and isn't even suppose to do individual workouts. So that is what a DOB does, not a bad job too me, I would take it for $56000 and a free car

metz, jamal walker was the billiken point guard after the claggett-highmark years and thru hughes one year. he then was an assistant coach at a couple of high schools, then an oklahoma juco and most recently at ball state.

to point out grammatical mistakes to show how 'smart' he is. Actually, I'm with Billiphan on this, but what upsets me the most is how Bauman selectively chooses who to correct and not correct.

Where are you at, Bauman?

>Did anybody know, Sloan isnt the director of basketball

>anymore,he was interviewed for the assisant coaches job,but

>Jamal got that, so he didnt want to be D.O.B.

A little update on Sloan and the assistants. Sloan wanted to recruit and he no longer wanted to arange plane tickets and hotels. He wanted to recruit and coach instead of being a travel agent. When Brad told him he was not in the running for the assistants job he was done. As I posted before Anthony Beane is still looking for a coaching position. Although SLU would want you to think he resigend, he was pushed out. I will not get into the reasons but that's what happened. Jamal should be introduced soon as the new assistant.

First of all why did Beane say in the paper that he had some special business opportunity? Was he just covering up his dismissal? Second, was he not working at recruiting or what? Third, just because Sloan did not get an interview why was he necessarily out?

In today's TSN I received, it said if Jay Spoonhour doesn't find a coaching job he might go to K-State as Director of Basketball Operations for Huggins. I believe Huggins and Charlie were good friends.

Could he be a candidate at SLU?

Yeah I also heard,when Chris was a player at SLU he and some other players went to the A.D. to get Soderberg hired.So Chris is upset at Sodie that he didnt get the job.I didnt get this from the coaches,this is something I heard, I dont know how true it is.

Does that mean that Chris is no longer working in the basketball office currently, or is his non-employment (not unemployment) going to be taking affect in like 2 weeks or something?

If he is gone/leaving, I'm sorry to see him go. He has always been incredibly helpful with the Blue Crew and has been our main contact for facilitating events with the team and our members. No matter what your opinion of his "worth" is, he's a great guy and I wish him nothing but success in the future (and hopefully a coaching position somewhere eventually).

Next year is going to be an interesting year....with 3 of the 6 people in the basketball office leaving/gone (Beane, Chris, Joanne), I'm very interested to see how next year is going to turn out.

Soderberg gave Sloan the Director of Basketball Operations job when Sloan had no professional coaching experience at any level.

In talking to Sloan, I believe he understands how difficult it is to land one of the three assistant coaching positions at any D1 level.

Rather than being upset with Soderberg, if anything, Sloan may be upset with the overall D1 coaching "system" and the high number of competitors for each open position.