Stemler news from Milwaukee Journal

BradFan

This in today's Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel...don't know what to make of it, but presume Lance's comments would be made to any reporter from any of the four schools he is considering (except the part about Novak):

The Marquette Golden Eagles should know by early next week whether Lance Stemler, their No. 1 recruiting target in the spring signing period, will accept their scholarship offer.

A 6-foot-8, 215-pound forward from Southwestern Illinois College in Belleville, Ill., Stemler took an official visit to MU earlier this week and indicated that once he's through with a six-day whirlwind recruiting tour across the Midwest, he'll make his choice.

"I want to make my decision by the beginning of next week," Stemler said. "I want to get my decision over with before my finals, so it's not on my mind and I can just relax."

Nebraska, Saint Louis and Indiana are also vying for Stemler. He visited Nebraska earlier in the signing period, Saint Louis on Tuesday and Wednesday and will arrive in Indiana today for a two-day stay.

While visiting MU, Stemler toured the campus, played pick-up games with current Golden Eagles players and then attended the team's annual awards banquet on Monday night.

"Everything was real nice," he said. "All the guys get along real good. We played (Sunday and Monday) and I liked the way they played. Everything was real good."

Stemler, a sophomore, averaged 22 points and 6.7 rebounds per game in leading his team to a 34-4 mark and a sixth-place finish in the NJCAA Tournament. He was also named a first team All-American.

A native of Columbia, Ill., Stemler played his freshman year at Bradley before transferring to Southwestern Illinois College.

Regarded by many as the top remaining big man available, he and incoming freshman Lazar Hayward would likely battle it out for the power forward spot vacated by Steve Novak.

Both are considered top-notch perimeter shooters, an area coach Tom Crean will be looking to bolster with Novak no longer around.

"I'm looking for someplace where I can come in and contribute right away," Stemler said. "I only have two years left so I want to get into it. The main feel I got when I was playing with them was I could really step in for Steve."

If Stemler commits, he would close out MU's 2006-'07 recruiting class. Hayward, David Cubillan and Ball State transfer Maurice Acker have already signed with the Golden Eagles.

They have a frosh who fills the same role? Not saying he would start over LS, he is a frosh, but he's virtually guaranteed to play here. Why dont' we get some coverage here Tommie T? Sure the folks at home would like to read about him.

It's amazing that the Stemler recruiting story gets more publicity in Wisconsin and Indiana than in his hometown. I'll repeat the prediction I made a week ago: If Stemler signs with SLU its a third page story in the Post but if he doesn't sign with us it will be reported in a front page column critical of SLU's recruiting.

That's a sad state of affairs for SLUs media status, but I believe that is slowly changing. Brad is not a camera-hog, super promoter. But he is a builder, and the program is building. As it continues to enjoy success, the media will catch up. The days will get better and better, even if the PD isn't paying attention right now. Remember, we always have Billiken Bernie on our side (ha!).

This town is a baseball town and unless another team is doing something exceptional the buzz does not develop. I think however that you are right about Brad. He is not flashy, he is David eckstein. Not initially impressive, but given the chance will express his passion for the game.

His plan has been to build the program with four year(five years in some) players and we are on our way to doing that. Lance Stemler I believe, would be the key to his success in the near future. However if we do not land him, this team will still be succesful next year.

I think the scrimmage went great, I am glad frankly that LS did not just light up the house. If you wanted to choose a team, which team would you want to play for 1.) a team that you would be the best player on or 2) a team that had a balanced group of as good or better players? I am awaiting his decision. It sounded like a very cohesive visit. A warm welcome from all players and the blue crew

great job blue crew prez!!!

>They have a frosh who fills the same role? Not saying he

>would start over LS, he is a frosh, but he's virtually

>guaranteed to play here. Why dont' we get some coverage here

>Tommie T? Sure the folks at home would like to read about

>him.

The frosh at MU, Hayward, is a 6-6 wing. My impression is that he is similar to Glenn Rice, a decent athlete and a pure shooter. I doubt he plays the 4 at MU. I believe that MU wants Stemler to step in for Novak at the 4.

Lance Stemler is not a 4. Period. If Marquette or Indiana are looking for a 4 to play in the Big East/ Big Ten, guess what? They are out of luck.

He is a good looking athlete with spring, fiesty around the bucket, and can post up. He battles underneath, is active on the boards, and handles the ball well in the open court. But during the scrimmage he spent the first part guarding AD and the 2nd part guarding TL. He looked to me about an inch or 2 taller than Tommie (ps--is Tommie growing?). AD was way too quick for him.

>They have a frosh who fills the same role?

the frosh coming into MU is more of a 3.

At SLU, what about Luke, JJ, Obi, Knollmeyer, Maguire and, to a lesser extent, Brown? All of those guys (4 with experience in the system) would fill the same spot that Stemler supposedly would.

Last year Novak did more posting up than anytime in the past and was much more active on the boards - a modified 4 man, kind of like AJ Granger on Michigan State's Final Four teams.

Novak played the 4 in our offense last year, but Novak is not a true 4 either. Crean is looking to run the three-guard offense, with a good versatile forward at the 4 and an athletic big. Stemler would get minutes in this modified 4 position, and likely, a few at the 3 as well.

I will say this... a starting spot at Marquette is anything but guaranteed. We return a lot of talent. However, if Stemler can grab a few boards and spread the defense and at least guard the 4 reasonably well, he'll get substantial minutes.

I have a feeling it will be SLU or MU. Both would be good options for him. Obviously, he'd be able to play closer to home at SLU and would play against better competition at MU. He has a built-in niche at either school. It all depends on what his top priorities are basketball-wise, which I don't think anyone knows for sure besides Lance and those closest to him.

Just to comment on Basketbill above:

"I am glad frankly that LS did not just light up the house. If you wanted to choose a team, which team would you want to play for 1.) a team that you would be the best player on or 2) a team that had a balanced group of as good or better players?"

I'm not sure how that's relevant, unless you were saying that this puts SLU in the same category as IU or MU, where Stemler is clearly not the best player either.

The relevance is not to which school is a better option, but rather how a recruit views the potential of a school. I think he might have left the scrimmage thinking he can play and compete on this team, and that he can play better than he did. But I doubt he left thinking I am the best player he -this school is too bad, or that he was not as good as these guys and won't get pt.

My hope is he left thinking this would be just right!

From DoctorB above:

"He is a good looking athlete with spring, fiesty around the bucket, and can post up."

That's a lot more than people would ever have said about Novak. Novak added a post game this year and became a decent rebounder, but it sounds like Stemler is naturally a better post than Novak ever was. And as you can imagine, Novak didn't exactly play in the traditional 4 on offense, since he made 121 3-pointers last year.

I definitely think Stemler would be a very nice late addition to Marquette, and I think he'd get solid minutes. He's not going to make or break our season, but I think he'd do a little bit better than you guys are giving him credit for at Marquette.

Good luck to him. MU or SLU are both good choices with good academics.

Gotcha. So it was more of a comment just on how he'd fit in at SLU than how SLU compares to MU, N or IU. Thanks for the clarification.

To Box and Won... I doubt he'd feel the pressure for filling in for Novak. Obviously, all of us at MU would not expect the second coming of Novak. Novak is frankly the best shooter I have ever seen in person. People talk about Redick and he is great and more versatile, but give Novak an opening around the 3-point line, and he's absolutely money.

As you guys know, we have three incredible guards who return as sophomores next year. If anything, the pressure is lessened at Marquette because Stemler would be surrounded by so much talent and would not have to be the man. Along with this is the fact that having guards who can drive and dish leaves a bomber space to shoot it (witness Novak's 121 threes). So, bottom line, no, I don't think there's pressure to be the next Novak. Stemler would get his shot at PT, but also would be part of a terrific team at Marquette.

I never would have expected Luke Meyer or Chris Sloan to play a minute at PF when they were recruited but low and behold that is where they played.

I wouldn't take what is said on this board as much more than idle speculation. My guess is he'd get a large amount of minutes at both positions.

Heard today that Lance loved SLU and was very impressed with the coaching staff and the players. He didnt even want to visit SLU after his Marquette trip. He was ready to sign with Marquette but decided to make the trip. It seems like Indiana has taken a back burner in the recruiting process(for now). I think it would be hard to pass up the opportunity to play at a school like Indiana, but with the way the SLU family and the Blue Crew welcomed him yesterday, it would be pretty hard for him to pass up the opportunity to play close to home.