Saint Louis Soccer and Legion 1818

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am here to announce the creation of Legion 1818, the brand new supporters group for the Saint Louis University men's soccer program.

Our objective is to recreate the 'Ultras' and hooligan culture of European football, without the politically motivated violence associated with it. We are dreaming BIG, by utilizing SLU's rich history in the sport, our very own soccer specific STADIUM, the nation's leading attendance... and serving as the host institution for the 2006 College Cup in December.

Be it drums, banners, flags, confetti, songs, chants, clapping, or whatever... Legion 1818 strives to be the foremost collegiate supporters group by bridging the gap between the nation's most storied soccer program, and the fans who support it. We wish to not only include SLU students, but also alumni, parents, children, and anyone else somehow related to the great city of Saint Louis. And considering we do not (yet) have an MLS team, what better way to support soccer in the rich soccer town of Saint Louis is there?

PM me here, or email the group at [email protected] if you have any interest in helping our group expand. We need as much help as possible, and there is still much work to be done. I'd love to hear some ideas as to what we should do, and please remember that all are invited to be members, as long as, come August through December, you are at Hermann Stadium to cheer on the Billikens to victory!

Do you plan on working with SLU to improve their game management skills at soccer games too?

They seem to do very little, and all that is needed to generate more of an "atmosphere" is a little attention to teh details.

A few suggestions that I have made to slu....that havent happened.

1. Play the fight song (Saints) every time the Team takes and leaves the field and when they score. (Easy to do, I've given them a professionally produced CD of the Band playing it...it even has the drum breaks for the Cheerleaders and fans to spell out S-A-INT L-O-UIS)

2. Get a cheap laptop to put a lot of game-specific sound effects on and then use at the game. There needs to be more than a murmer from the crowd when SLU sets up for a corner kick.

3. Folks. Ernie Hays used to "tickle the ivories" at SLU soccer matches. Think about getting him in the booth for the weekend night games once in a while.

Legion 1818. Good job. Very happy to have someone thinking about creating atmosphere at the soccer games. Best of luck. Keep your language clean, and remember, you are a LOT smarter than the other folks, come up with some word better than "Suck." Be creative!! " You Suck" is not creative.

I've always thought phrases like, "You suck!" and my favorite, "Kick him in the junk!!" were always good when used in moderation. Overuse does get a bit lame but sometimes the simplest of phrases that express one's feelings are the best.

AND.....no cheerleaders at soccer games. Period.

I would make sure your group has strong relations with LEvick and staff as priority one.

Build relationships with Danny Donigan and Mike sorber as well.

Contact some people at IU, Uconn etc...Sam's Army and see why there soccer cheering sections are successful.

Have a designated area at games for your group and have good signage. Have merchandise for sale at games and SLU bookstore.

Have a website readily available where people can go to get more info...and have this website available at games and all over campus, as to who and what your group is....

Aggressively seek better production of games themselves from Levick and company.....

sound....there should be non-stop pre-game, during game, half-time, post game of combo of band playing, and music piped in for fans and players.

Cross marketing with other SLU sports teams, hoops of course but not just hoops. Reward fans for attending more games. Not just big ones.

I would make your BIG level ideas or presence at a big game or two...i.e. IU etc...where they wil be huge crowds and much more visibilty for you and your group to maximize exposure and repeat business.

The Athletic Dept needs better and more promotions.....your group would be well served to work with student govt and other organziations at school for visibility, for signage...to attract fans.

Attempt to attract multiple types of fans....the frat dudes, the bookworms...etc....most games are Fri night and Sun afternoon....merely a pit stop on the frat drinking train...or nice way to get out for a couple hours from 7:30pm-9:30pm on a Fri night or Sun afternoon.

Sell the quality of the level of play. Sell the tradition, distant past, but also recent past where more younger folks can relate as well. Both.....lots of former national championships...and lots of current ex Billikens playing professionally.

Get the hoops fans to come to games......a natural.

ASK ASK ASK for more more more from Levick and staff, and everyone else....

Don't exclude anyone who wants to be involved.

Pre-game/post-game events...concerts, tailgating etc....the game itself has to be a two hour can't miss event regardless of opponent. Work with those people above constantly. And don't be afraid to input ideas and ask for more with them.

Those would be a few to start.

Good ideas courtside and pretty thorough. STL, I know a former SLU/fraternity brother who has a band here in town if you decide to follow up on court's entertainment suggestion.

I think one thing that helped the SLU BALLS fan club when soccer came back to campus was everyone having the standard shirt. It helped us stand out as a group.

One other thing: there is a contingent of ex-SLU players that go to the games and are usually sitting in the east side stands nearest the olive garage. I know Ty Keough and if you wanted to get some type of connection with the old players through him, let me know through pm. I bet Courtside has even better connections to the veteran players as well.

Otherwise, I'd be willing to help out. Send me a pm with your emai lif interested.