Bus trip to Cincy?

One of the Post articles I read this week mentioned that SLU practiced Wednesday morning and then took a bus to Cincy. I've made that drive myself and it's a good 5.5 hours. I understand the need to save some money, but am I the only one who feels like this is kind of strange? It's not like they were going to a small college town. Maybe with American cutting back so much there aren't any direct flights there.

I don't think long bus rides will do much for recruiting.

... is ridiculous due to the Delta monopoly. But I can't say if this is why we did it or not. Baltimore to Cincy is Delta for like $700 round trip. Baltimore to Dayton on AirTran is $88 round trip in some cases. Go figure.

I don't see it as such a problem frankly.

The money is secondary.....taking a bus allows them to practice when they want to and leave when they want to. It also gives them flexibility on the return trip. They don't have to wait around for the fixed purchased ticket flight time. My guess is that the players would rather get back to St. Louis asap than be sitting around Cincy.

Since Lambert's lost its hub status .... coming in and out of St. Louis for the business/commercial traveler is 3x more difficult.

Brad said that was exactly what they were going to do. He said it gave them a lot more flexibility as mentioned in the post above.

Think about it. You get on the bus at the dorm and 5.5 hours later you are at the hotel. Some of those busses are pretty comfortable. No need to sit around an airport, hoping there are no weather or mechanical delays.

On the other hand, if you fly it might take somewhere around 4.5 hours with bus to and from the airport, arriving 1 to 1.5 hours early for check in, over an hour flight, waiting on luggage, etc. The bus is not at all a bad option.

When we played in CUSA - Louisville and Cincy almost always took a bus to our games. If it is good enough for them then why not for us. It is not like we traveled up their on Wed. and played Wed. Flying today is not as simple as it once was - not only costly but time consuming as well. My guess is the kids might have prefered the bus.

i was told at the tourney that the reason none of the teams had full bands and no dance squads was also travel costs. getting to cincy by air is not a cheap or easy task.

gister, i never thought of that comparison before, but you are right. once you take all into consideration in this day and age of airports, the bus trip might actually be just as fast as the plane trip.

During the regular season, there is nothing wrong with charter bus for games within a couple of hours drive. especially a lot of games for East Coast schools. Anything out of a couple of hour range should be charter flights during regular season.

And, for conference tourney I would be leaving a full couple of days before playing. Mid-terms it has been reported were an issue. Either take them early, take them upon return, or on the road. That shouldn't be an issue. Game is conference tourney, 5.5 hour drive, and leave rather late...I am unimpressed.

brad has always practiced late prior to away games. that is not a this tourney issue. it is just his opinion the practice at west pine will be more productive than some high school gym away in the destination city plus the players are better to sleep and eat in their normal atmosphere.

now whether this is all more productive or not is another question, but i dont think all of that is cost driven.

>During the regular season, there is nothing wrong with

>charter bus for games within a couple of hours drive.

>especially a lot of games for East Coast schools. Anything

>out of a couple of hour range should be charter flights

>during regular season.

>

>And, for conference tourney I would be leaving a full couple

>of days before playing. Mid-terms it has been reported were

>an issue. Either take them early, take them upon return, or

>on the road. That shouldn't be an issue. Game is

>conference tourney, 5.5 hour drive, and leave rather

>late...I am unimpressed.

Courtside, you are right on the money. All this other B.S. that is getting posted about this topic is just that, B.S. You are in a conference tourney trying to get into the NCAA tournament and you should be there well in advance of your game. Exams could be taken before or after the tournament. 5.5 hours on a bus is much different than sitting 1 hour on a plane. Just like SLU most of you just don't get it.

Roy,

Need to correct you. We had a full band, as did GW and Temple (the other teams I saw)...looked like St Joe's had near 30 as well. 30 is the limit at the conference tourneys and the NCAAs.

Dance teams are not allowed at the A-10 tourney as per conference rules. (true, those rules may have been established in the past due to travel costs, but are not new rules for the A-10 this year)

To what administrations are you referring? Those nameless, faceless institutions that we can only dream to emulate? The inferiority complex on this board is incredible. If the Coach or players were complaining, that would be one thing, but you guys are looking for reasons to get excited. If you don't like the administration, the players, the coach or Fr. Biondi, what exactly are you fans of?

I can say this.

Many teams charter planes for many of their road games. This is accepted standard for many programs committed to winning hoops, not unique. These same schools do travel by bus for 1-2 hr drives, and short distances.

The point I think you are missing here is ...Soderberg is not the norm. While some might find it refreshing that he would glady walk to his road games and play in a shack(kidding)...that the game and practices are the only important thingsto him...it is near sighted and naive. When you want to recruit with the big boys for big time recruits, you need to bring a lot to the table. What are your practice facilities like, special academic facilities for athletes, training facilities, your game day arena, game atmosphere ...all the other little things and perks...how do you get to your games?

If the attitude is we at SLU are only interested in kids who care about books and playing ball regardless of everything else...the boat has been missed. You have to be "in the game" to compete for top recruits. You have to have upgraded facilities, travel in better manner etc...these are standard things if you want to compete with the big boys. Top kids get pampered everywhere and sold on different schools atmospheres etc....

Kids will choose based a lot on how they like the coach....well...if they like multiple coaches and places...some of the above are standard things that eliminate places who are mom and pop. Sure there are always exceptions...but exceptions, not the norm.

To say well Coach Soderberg doesn't complain about the lack of commitment, ...while that is nice and all...too bad that isn't all that matters. OF course the kids at SLU don't complain. How many kids didn't consider SLU based on the above? How many local and regional players? I'd bet quite a few.

Take a look at the itinieries which are in the back of the media guide. Many of the team's trips are taken by flight. Some are on chartered flights. My point is, why is this instance an issue? I would submit that it's only an issue because posters on this board are constantly looking for problems which may or may not exist. If your complaint is that the administration has a small time attitude, that may be valid. A bus trip to Cincinati is hardly an exemplar of that attitude. Particularly, since as was previously noted, you don't know the full story. I sincerely doubt if any recruits are aware of the mode of transportation to this particular tournament, unless they read it here.