Out-Coached

SLUDrew

Can anyone really say different?

I know I have been saying it all year, but why we NEVER FULLCOURT TRAP is beyond me!!!!!!!!! Its not that damn hard. I ran a trap with a youth boys team.

Its like we were playing to not lose by more than we already were, isntead of at least making an effort to come back.

Now lets hear from the people who will defend coach. By the way, you don't lose like this just because we don't have a power forward, so save that excuse.

This was the worst effort I have ever seen from a "Division 1" basketball team

SLU was totally overmatched today. There's no one place to point a finger.

Do you really think SLU has the horses to run a full-court trap? It's a double-edged sword, because the other team can break it and get easy baskets and your guys can get into foul trouble. SLU's top guys could do it, but I'm not sure the depth is there.

What are you doing pressing so much with a kids' team, trying to run up the score?!?!?!

We don't have enough athletes to play the game for 90'. S-Dave I agree and subscribe to your way of thinking. These kids will grow and better days are closer than some think...keep the faith Bills fans!!!

Martelli said it at half time, "my seniors really want this". I think he meant the tourney. There's a huge difference when 21-22 year olds are playing 18-19 year olds. That said, UB, in a game that was slipping away fast, should have tried something different ... where the hell did the transition game go? St JOes knew every time down the court it was going to be a pass inside. Guys were laying in wait for IV. Also, when did our motion offense become pass the ball. I watched and didn't see much motion at all. Maybe an insert of DP earlier for AD (who did not play well, sorry) to speed it up a little would have helped. As it was St. Joes was always well positioned by the time we got into our sets. It was clear we weren't going to catch them from the perimiter. And even with JJ in there we were a lot soft under the boards. Just another mediocre year, but better than most of us figured. Next year has got to be the deciding year for UB. He's got two all conference frosh returning, including rookie of the year, and the all conference center. He clearly needs to add a permiter shooter, Stemler maybe, and develop or recruit someone to play the 4 with some grit, I mean crash the frigging boards don't wait for a carom, and try for a put back. God, it would be nice to see a Billiken get a put back. Also, his recruiting class for 2007 has to be similar to the KL and TL coup he pulled off. He's got a brand new arena to sell to these kids. It's a long ways to October. I wish we had something a little more pleasing to the pallet than a 22 point loss and a 34 point effort to suck on for the next 7 months.

I dont know if a full court trap would have been the answer, however if we are going to start and play a four guard lineup for the majority of the game, they better be athletic enough to do so. Thats how most teams succeed with a smaller lineup. They utilize their speed and quickness advantage and we dont do that. I hate hearing people say that we dont have the athletes and that we can only win a game if the score is in the 40s or 50s. We do have the guys that can pick up fullcourt and play uptempo. Drejaj, Lisch, Liddell, Polk, Brown, and Meyer is a lot of depth at the guard position and are all guys, minus Meyer, who thrive in that type of game. We needed to open it up more this year and we didn't. We have a lot of guys who can thrive in a transition and uptempo game.

Honestly, have you ever seen a more predictable team than the Billikens? You know what you are going to get on defense and on offense the entire game.

By the way, when the matchups are not favorable why not try to push tempo? I wasn't implying that simply by trapping we were going to win. but why not do something different? I still don't understand the midset of so many on this board.

I taught the kids I coached a variety of defenses. Even at that level, if you don't switch it up ONCE IN A WHILE you make yourself easy to execute against, and alot of them wante dto play HS ball so I thought that I should teach them as much as possible. Although if any one of them would have winded up at SLU all they would have needed to know was a motion offense and halfcourt man-to-man

I am just not sold on Brad being a "great" coach. He is sooooo stubborn and conservative. His pack defense essentially prohibits any easy baskets in transition, which is particularly detrimental in light his miserable half-court offense. As the the team struggled to find offense today, I kept wondering why Brad ran off Darren Clarke. Even if Darren's defense wasn't perfect, he was 6'4", fairly athletic, and could shoot the ball. This team could really use that kind of player.

I think part of Brad's problem is that he is an absolute control freak. He hates coaching outside of his narrow comfort zone. For example, after the team got off to a predictable terrible offensive start last week against Dayton, Brad grudgingly went out of his comfort zone and played a trapping, half-court pressure defense. This defensive change spurred an offensive run that allowed us to come all the way back to take a half-time lead. Brad was, of course, nervous about leaving his comfort zone and immediately went back to his conservative pack defense. We all know the result. If you go back and look at the tape from this year's games, you will find about ten other examples of Brad going conservative after we built a lead or came back from a deficit. (See Richmond, Dayton 1, Dayton 2, Rhode Island 1, Umass, etc.)

You see similar examples of Brad's conservative style and control issues in his substitution patterns (i.e., yanking players who are too agressive) and in his personnel decisions (i.e., favoring "system" players despite offensive limitations).

I have discussed this point offline with several other season ticket holders. We all share the concern that Brad's teams will never have big-time success until he backs off his stubborness. I view the situation similarly to the 1998 Rams. Those of us in St. Louis remember the powers-to-be forcing Dick Vermeil to lossen up his rigid style.

Oh yeah, did I mention that the Dick Bennett system is miserable basketball to watch.

I mostly have to go by what Rammer says, but it seems nearly everytime this year (and especially today) when he talked about the Bills getting a rebound or loose ball and pushing it up court, they never had a clear advantage and had to pull it back. So this team didn't seem capable of running in the truest sense of the word. As for the "four-guard" lineup reference, that was less by design and more by demand. JJ and VN were not ready for primetime this year, both a huge disappointment, I'm sure to the coaching staff too. Luke had to be in that starting lineup, and DP and DB couldn't consistently outplay AD.

Stop saying JJ and VN let us down. Coming into this season, if anyone thought that we would be good with those guys at the 4 you are stupid. This is Brad's 4th year. JJ was already here when he become the coach. If all he has to show for 4 years at SLU is a 1 game below .500 record and no 4 man, then he needs to change or go. People always talk about how we don't have the great players and the 4. Get your ass out there Brad and f'ing get those players. All we have is Dustin for next year. We have had him as a recuit for the last year almsot and have not brought another player in. Brad is only good at recruiting if players come hear to play in St. Louis, not for Brad. All we have is less talented home boys who didn't want to leave their mommies. Find some real players Brad or leave. I have been saying all year that Brad sucks and I guess now people believe me. Bring in Huggins!