3-Star and Roy: ESL and B East Summary

aj_arete

Did any of you catch the Flyers-Maroons game? Just saw the score and that the Maroons dominated. Looked like JB had a strong game and overall they had a balanced attack. How did Liddell look?

i was at my wife's work xmas party last nite. and if that hadnt been, i would have been at my daughter's volleyball game. so there was little chance i was gonna be there last nite.

it appears west just dominated them. i am now expecting west to go to the final four in the state. after thursday's game against nationally ranked lanier and last nite's blowout vs east side, it appears they are really playing well.

i saw arthur sargent was the leading scorer. i predicted before the season arthur would end up being the best player on this team. jb jones is fantastic. imo, he is the most underated player in the st louis area. he plays lockdown defense every nite and is just a solid point guard that can shoot and drive as well. throw in price and the football player, mcpeak, this is a good good team.

tommie was held to 9. my guess is that either jones or sargent were on him all night. he would have scorched price. maybe jalensdad can give us some insight.

B-Roy you hit it right on the head with Sargent. I know Price is known

by some as X-Factor but the true X-Factor is Sargent. He puts that team on a whole different level. My question is why didn't they find playing time for him last year. 6'4 who can shoot long range and defend. Liddell played one of his worst game as he did last year in the first game against West. West held him to 3 of 17 shots. If you make Liddell become one dimensional such as a scorer and not a distributor you have a good chance of beating East Side.

Belleville West has one of the top teams in the state this year, just

ask nationally ranked Jackson, Lanier. They are playing at very high

level right now, but the season is a marathon and not a sprint.

imo sargent should have been playing last year. i would get to the west games early last year and see sargent doing whatever he wanted to do in the jv games, and think to myself, "what is this kid playing jv ball?" my understanding is that sargent had a hard time with schmitt running offense and such. schmitt had the luxury of a few other seniors that were pretty good as well, so to make a point, banished arthur to the jv. still i felt other than jb jones and mcpeak, arthur would have been the best player on that team last year already.

after seeing east side this year now, i dont get it with luster. just disappeared most of the lanier game. not the kid i saw at cahokia last year. luster, smith and woods need to step up. at least 2 of the three. that is what will make tommie most effective and ultimately put east side on the same level with west. at this point, i would say that west is on a level by themselves, but althoff, and i bet centralia and carbondale as well are probably better than east side. it is nice to know though that the east side has the best teams this year. webster could join the group, and i assume so could vashon. but after that, if hazelwood is the next best team, it appears to me that the east side has the talent advantage this year.

Yeah I agree West is on a different level. As far as Luster he is

playing somewhat out of position as a 4. He is also hobbled by an

ankle injury. I would move him to the 3 and sit Mark Howliett. He

is giving them very little and he is one dismensional. Jump shooter

only. I had a chance to talk to the coaches about Lisch and they were

all in agreement that he is Top Shelf. They raved about his toughness

and his ability to run defenders through screens only to knock down

the open J. I must make time to see him at the Collinsville Tourney.

That should be a helluva tourney considering that Peoria is returning.

Shaun Livingston is the real deal. He made a believer out of me.

why does the other little guard play? i did not see where he brought anything extra to the table as well. i would play liddell, luster, woods, smith and then the fifth i dont know. i actually liked bennie III, and my son tells me that howlett gets hot and can put on a 3 point show. or maybe play steven andrews who though short for a pf is tough as nails. but tell me about the other guard that plays a lot. his name escapes me right now. i gotta find my program from the shootout.

Belleville has the advantage now but there are some other top teams in the MO side of the river too besides Vashon.

I get to mostly see Sub North teams and IMO this is their strongest overall group in several years. Haz West, Ritenour, and Pattonville are horrible teams. Pattonville only scored like 15 points against Lafayette the other night I think. But the top of the Sub North is loaded with Haz Central, McCluer North, McCluer, Haz East and even Riverview. Those first 4 teams can go toe to toe with anybody in the area. McCluer North has 3 really good perimeter players and if their sophomore Williams can improve some they will give Central a run for their money. Williams is 6-5 300, he makes Grimes look tiny.

I think we're all praying that Tommie passes the ACT with flying colors. I also think Liddell and Polk will end up being quite the steals for us and other schools will be wondering what they were thinking by not recruiting them harder. I also wouldn't be surprised if Meyer ends up being a bit of a steal too. After all, he averages almost 30 points a game and dominates in all facets out there.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Well it sounds like the only negative part of Polk's game is his height and as Marque proved for 4 years here, that's not really that important, if you're quick and play guard. It sounds like he can shoot lights out when he's on and I could have sworn I heard that he can dunk at only 5'9"...is that true?

We hail Saint Louis U."

You must be speaking of Gerald Bell. Apparently he is a competitor in

practice therefore the coach feels obligated to play him. Mark Howliett does get hot but he is too streaky and gives you nothing on

the defensive end. He is a liability. I like Bennie Lewis also, he

father played semi-pro ball overseas. He has a high basketball IQ and

he stands 6'5 inches.

From all that I have heard you might be right. I hear that Polk is

playing at a high level and has most if not all his quickness back.

Add a great outside shooter like the kid from Borgia and you have

a great core of players who will be around for some years. I only

hope SLU continues to build upon this as the city of East St. Louis

has in my opinion at least 3 possible Div 1 kids playing Jr. High

ball.

yes bell is the name of the player i was thinking of. he did have an awesome steal with a nice spin move for a layup vs hazelwood that was memorable. but other than that, he did not stand out the whole night.

again, i like bennie's grandson. always gotta like the kids (or in this case the grandkid) of a coach. they just have the feel for the game it seems.

Thanks for the info, Jalensdad. He won a slam dunk contest against Liddell and Price? Now, that is impressive!!! I think the Savvis (and new arena) would go nuts to see our 5'9" point guard dunk on a fast break. This could be one amazing recruiting class!

We hail Saint Louis U."