We're paying for earlier recruiting mistakes

ACE

I guess my response was a veiled question of whether you think our offense, given the ability of our players during an average game, could be changed within the half-court to become more aggressive, attacking, enjoyable and exciting? And do you think such an offense would equal or exceed the results we have enjoyed to date this season?

I honestly don't know, but feel it is worth a try. In connection with your statement re: Spoon, it would be nice if UB could institute such an offense during the game when his plan A isn't working.

my fault. i like your response. i agree we need to be more agressive in the half court. i also am at the point where i agree with the jj enthusiasts that want justin johnson in the game no matter what his attitude or aptitude. i think we are at a point he simply has to play.

i have been frustrated for weeks for the "think ian first all the time" mentality. i want ian to get the ball as much as possible, but insisting it has to go to him is just to bogging. granted last nite we didnt make the shots, but over the whole year, lisch, brown, meyer and drejaj make 37% combined shots from the 3 line. and that would have been sufficient to have changed that game last nite.

Seems the topic has changed. My post was in reference to past and current recruiting, and not the ocaching of the current team. Those are two different subjects.

I do not believe under ANY system with the current players that SLU would be more than an average .500 team. I do not beleive that ANY player on the team is being held back from doing more. I do think the team scales down to their offensive abilities at times.

You are going to get up and down performances from talented Frosh, some wow great plays, and some total head-scratchers. The better the recruit, the more improvement over the course of their frosh year you will see. Kevin Lisch as a Frosh, right now is not good enough to just put it on the floor and take whomever he wants...not against the good teams. Not this year. It took him quite some time to frasnkly not looked lost out there. This isn't high school.

Liddell for example, will finish those takes in future years, but it will not happen more times than not this year...sure he will dazzle with a game here or there, but more times than not he won't finish consistently. It isn't because he isn't a good player or good recruit.

Lisch is a two guard, he better learn how to be a good shooter...as well as playing off the ball, and handling the ball. His future at SLU is at the 2.

Soderberg?

Well...I know a long time ago, I wasn't convinced of him as the answer for SLU when hired. Just being honest. I questioned his ability to coach offensively and recruit. You can do more things with better players. That is where it has to start. I would agree with Roy about his stubbornness.

If this team pushed it more, imo turnovers would be even higher, and end result wouldn't be improved. And beleive me I do not enjoy the slow down games. The athleticism is not there imo. I think they would get run out of the gym by some teams.

If SLU hypothetically were a veteran top 25 team, with better talent,...Lisch and Liddell would be praised more for being promising Frosh. Some people on here expect too much too soon from them based on their ability. An awful lot ask of Frosh. In some games you have to get the bulk of your offense elsewhere.

Ultimately the experience will be valuable and level of play improved.

I think it is ridiculous for anyone to think that SLU has all this talent, but can't show it because of the coach. People might not like the system, or style, or anything else, which is fine. But there is nothing stopping say, Dwyane Polk from hitting jumpers or getting into the lane more to create opportunities for his teammates...as an example. in any system.

As for coaching, coaches go with what they know and where they learned it. Did anybody expect dramatic changes?

I don't believe Brad is playing Dwayne to please Floyd

Irons. He must think there is some defensive advantage to

playing Dwayne and he is telling himself "forget scoring,

we'll just defend."

Dwayne is always at a distinct defensive disadvantage. How much does the coaching staff wants Leon Powell. Coaches always have an eye towards the future.

Can an offense be altered at this point in the season?

It seems that the opposition knows what SLU is going to do.

Exactly the point. Who do we counterpunch with when teams are intent on taking Ian out of the offense? Judging by last night, no one until the game has been decided.

>I don't believe Brad is playing Dwayne to please Floyd

>Irons. He must think there is some defensive advantage to

>playing Dwayne and he is telling himself "forget scoring,

>we'll just defend."

>

>Dwayne is always at a distinct defensive disadvantage. How

>much does the coaching staff wants Leon Powell. Coaches

>always have an eye towards the future.

I can't figure the defensive advantage of Dwayne over Danny Brown (or using Meyer and moving Liddell to a smaller player) but I'm not Brad Soderberg and I don't go to practices. I don't want to believe the move was made to play up to Floyd / Powell ... but I'll admit its hard to come up with a rational explanation.

broy, I think you truly believe that KL was going to perform close to the offensive rate he did in high school against metro east players.

KL has been playing against college veterans that are 100 times better than 99% of the competition that KL played against while at Althoff.

Why would someone think that KL was going to have the same offensive success as a college freshman as he did as a high school senior.

KL is averaging 9 minutes per game and is playing excellent perimeter defense. He is one of the top freshman in the A-10. Take and enjoy his early success. KL is doing fine.....against the toughest competition he has ever faced in his life.

but what if the coach thinks we'd be 5-13 if we played more up tempo ... should he do it anyway because the fans like it?

Personally I don't think we have the players to play uptempo. I thought we did ... but after watching DP and DB ... I have changed my opinion.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

maybe we are not inconsistent because we switch. We switch because we are inconsistent. The guys practice almost every day, when the game comes and we can't hit the broadside of a barn and we can't finish at the rim and we turn the ball over 20 times a game. I think it is an incredible coaching job to have these players at 9-9.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

>I don't see IV or BH as recruiting mistakes. The senior

>class of AD and JJ were a late Spring "grab what one can"

>recruiting class. After seeing VN play in juco .... I had

>him figured as a 8pts / 5 boards type of guy. Some posters

>expected more. It hasn't happened yet!

Nobody has called IV a mistake, so I don't know where you are getting that from. After three years in the program, I wouldn't exactly call Bryce a success yet. VN was a mistake. Darrin Clarke was a mistake. The two jucos who didn't qualify were mistakes. The two current open schollies could've been filled with contributing upperclassmen. The bottom line, we don't have enough good upperclassmen in the program now and have had to rely too much on the youngsters.

maybe holding back isnt the right word, but i am one that beleives that both tommie and kevin have been asked to adjust their style of play.

i definitely expected more than what both kevin and tommie have done thus far, but i did not expect 20+ ppg that kevin had in h.s. i hoped kevin would average around 12 and tommie around 15 this season. of course i also assumed the team would look to score more than they have as well. had you told me we were going to resume george miken ball, i would have probably assumed about where they are now.

> The only person holding Tommie back is Tommie. I am 100%

>sure he has the green light to score any opportunity he

>gets. If he is not working hard on D ... he should sit.

>Period

This lame offense and lack of a transition game is somewhat holding Tommie back. I don't get the not working hard on defense. When was the last time coach asked Voyoukas to guard the opposing teams point guard? This is asked of Tommie virtually every game in the sense that he guards power forwards, yet he is 2nd on the team is almost every statistical categories.