Going to see Tyler Griffey play tonight

SLUDrew

Not going to happen. The coach likes Mizzou and both parents are big time Mizzou supporters. The big boys will all come in for this one so if it is not Mizzou (the home team) it will be Duke, North Carolina, Arizona, ect.. or

Unless SLU gets to that once in a generation final four and wins that National Championship that BRoy is talking about. Still laughing about that one. But I guess you can be in la la land and dream.

Unless a lot has happened since the Gonzaga game, he at least thought enough of us to consider SLU:

"In fact Thursday night, Soderberg had the kind of prep stars in the building who could surely catapult the Billikens up to the level of Gonzaga. Lafayette freshman Tyler Griffey, Washington (Mo.) guard Scott Suggs, Jared Swopshire of Fort Zumwalt West, John Bradenburg of DeSmet, Lucas O'Rear of Nashville, Ill., and Alex Tyus of Harmony Prep were all at courtside. After the game, just across the hall from the SLU locker room, Soderberg sat behind closed doors in a lounge talking to many of those kids and their parents."

SLU is not out of the running for this kid. He is only a freshmen.

Lets assume a generation last 30 years. So, since 1975 how many schools that look and feel likie SLU have made the final 4. Look and feel is defined as private school, basketball only.

Marquette

Depaul

Villanova

Georgetown

Villanova

St. Johns

Providence

Seton Hall

U Mass

In recent years elite 8 teams like Gonzaga, Xavier and St. Joes have shown that with the right combination of guards and luck you can get to within minutes of the Final 4.

FYI - Just about any stud HS basketball player would love to sit up close to see Gonzaga. Wouldn't read to much to kids showing up for that game, get them there for Rhode Island and it would be a bit more impressive.

Also Tyler and his Dad were in the stands for the great MU/KU game. They came up on thier own dime. They also were in attendance for a non-conference game. I suspect they will see many more MIzzou games over the next few years. Still does not mean his is going there but Mizzou is the home team.

VG, we are both in the same both, in regards to the liklihood of Final 4 or NC. You mention a few shots away, but how many teams can say that about regular season games, conference tournament games, the Big Dance games. Heck, SLU was a few shots away from beating several ranked teams this year. The NC and F4 was not a reality for MU in the past few years and not even going back 20. While I said I agree on SLU's chances, but just curious what would make you believe MU had a chance moving forward, especially considering the recent past, the past, and the current state of affairs? Just curious.

Easy, things can only get better. It is always darkest before the dawn. In other words regardless of who is the coach things can not get any worse, there is only upside. The Tigers have a lot of young kids and a nice class coming in. This all under the spotlight of a NCAA investigation being reported daily in the press and with scholarship restriction. So regardless of who is the coach, recruiting will with out a doubt be much much easier than it was the past two years. Throw in a young team and a nice new arena and things will only get better from here.

On a side note I think Quin has a ways to go to save his job, but just maybe he finally figured it out. You must admit that up to this point Mizzou is having a better year than anyone expected and if you take an objective view Mizzou is having a better year thn SLU and is in better shape at this point to make the tournament. In fact I think most people would agree that Quin has outcoached Brad so far this year.

you know I've seen a lot of people on the Tigerboard say that Quin has finally figured it out. What the hell does that mean?

If Gardner hadn't hit the game saving three, or Moody had hit 1 FT, or the ref had called the appropriate foul instead of jump ball with 30 seconds left would Quin have still figured it out? No, everybody would be bashing him for not being able to beat a bad Kansas team. If figuring it out means just let Gardner shoot every time then maybe he has figured it out.

The question you should ask is whether that recruiting class will still be coming in if Quin isn't coach next year.

p.s Mizzou's RPI right now is 83 and SLU's is 92. Not exactly overwhelming difference in fact a loss to K-State this weekend would pretty much eliminate it.

then explain david lee and tyler hansborough. the roots mean nothing. i think a bigger edge might be a hughes like scenario.

if you remember hughes, tatum, baniak, redden all played aau together. they won the aau national championship and wanted to stay together. maybe a similar scenario can play out with griffey and his buds. who knows.

but gorilla is right. the world will be at the lafeyette games over the next 4 years likely. so i aint penning that name on the 2010 roster yet.

As I said he has a long way to go. "Perhaps" he figured it out. Without an incredible comeback, Moody would not have had a chance to miss freethrows at the end of the game. Also the same could be said of the Colorado game, if Colorado did't hit lucky 3's at the end of the game Mizzou would have won. It goes both ways and evens out over the season.

That said K-state is a Huge game for the ole RPI. Mizzou has to win a few more road games somewhere along the line. I still think Mizzou is a long shot for the Tourney but no one gave them a prayer going into big 12 play.

I think Missouri was the home team for Hansbourough and Lee, still when Duke, NC, Arizona, ect come calling it gets tough. Those teams are clearly a step above Mizzou just as Mizzou is clearly a step or two above SLU.

The only major player of note (Top 50) for the billikens the last 20 years would be, Hughes, who came to SLU because his brother was sick and needed a heart transplant. Tough to compete against that.

Whats your point? The same he looks like in a SLU uni I guess. I don't fault the kid, his NBA career on the line a NCAA investigation and daily negitive press about Mizzou. What would anyone do? Now that the NCAA this is in the past things should start becoming a bit brighter at Mizzou. In fact things already seem to be getting a bit better.

>The Tigers have a lot of young kids and a nice class coming

>in.

They do? A 3-star recruit and 2 2-star recruits is a nice class? Not if you want to finish in the top five of the Big 12. That's not even a good class by Quin's standards.

Here's a link to look at Mizzou's last few classes....they've gotten consistently worse...including the "nice class" you reference for 2006. http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=19&p=9&cfg=bb&c=8&yr=2006

i get the biggest kick out of the hughes came to slu for the heart transplant theory.

what columbia doesnt have a medical school? how about michigan and syracuse? no med school?

i am sure it was a factor, but hughes himself has said it had as much to do with derrick thomas being a billiken assistant and his aau teamates all coming to slu as well.

mi$$ouri a step or two above slu was quite the laugher though. that joke made my day thanks!!

gorrillaboy said, " I still think Mizzou is a long shot for the Tourney but no one gave them a prayer going into big 12 play."

i dont think most people in their right mind still do. you have a lot of upsets to perform yet to get to the 40 rpi mark.

If his brother who lives in St. Louis is not sick Hughes does not stay in St. Louis.

Also please rationalize how SLU is not a step or two lower than Mizzou.

Big 12 conference vs A10

Athletic Budgets

TV Exposure

Fan Support/Fan Base

Facilities

Post Season Appearances

NCAA Apperances

Number of NCAA games won

National Profile

Players on NBA teams

Just as many Mizzou fans do not want to admit Duke, North Carolina, Arizona ect are notch higher than Mizzou I dont see how you can rationalize much less think it is funny that Mizzou is not a notch or two above SLU

do you enjoy trying to make Slu look bad, or do think you are actually crushing our hopes of a final four or are chances of landing a recruit who is only a freshman and from the Saint Louis area. I know I definately don't respect your opinion and I don't think many others do, So I ask you to please go back to the tigerboard and not come back here.