SLU Tennis team

VTIME

your just now figuring that out?!

Although, the swimming and x-country teams, mens and womens, have all been doing well of late, and the field hockey team is really turning their program around, thanks to the new coach Maria Whitehead. Baseball continues to be in the doldrums of college sports, and softball tends to have its ups and downs. Volleyball is consistantly good/above average. Other than that....basketball and soccer are pretty much it.

>If I have a good year, would I be able to transfer over without walking on? After walking on >last year I was tendered a scholarship for this semester. One of the

>best things in life is being rewarded for your efforts.

You were rewarded with a scholarship and now instead of showing your appreciation to your current school you are looking to transfer?

If one of the best things in life is being rewarded for your efforts, one of the worst things must be turning your back on the people who thought enough to reward you in the first place.

- Nate

How can you fault a kid by transferring to SLU from Harris Stowe...it's a no brainer IMO. Not to take anything away from Harris Stowe, but SLU acedemics blow Harris Stowe out of the water. If they offer VTIME a scholly, he'd be an idiot to refuse. Loyalty is one thing, but you gotta do what's best for you and your future. If the New York times offered you big promotion, would it be disloyal to leave the PD?

>How can you fault a kid by transferring to SLU from Harris

>Stowe...it's a no brainer IMO. Not to take anything away

>from Harris Stowe, but SLU acedemics blow Harris Stowe out

>of the water. If they offer VTIME a scholly, he'd be an

>idiot to refuse. Loyalty is one thing, but you gotta do

>what's best for you and your future. If the New York times

>offered you big promotion, would it be disloyal to leave the

>PD?

This is a hypothetical situation, as far as I can tell, because there doesn't appear to be a scholarship waiting for him at SLU. If that's the case, then yes, he'd be an idiot not to transfer.

But if a kid has one year left in college, and a scholarship from that college, why would it make sense to transfer schools in hopes of walking on to an athletic team? What's the minimum of credits you need at SLU to graduate from SLU? I'm guessing it would take about two years' worth of classes at SLU to graduate from there, even though he'd only be one year away at his present institution.

I think there should be some loyalty in a situation like that. If the New York Times offered me a job tomorrow, I'd have to take it. Because I'm not a full-time employee now and don't have benefits from the P-D. But if I was rewarded a full-time job at the P-D and that paper had me in its plans for the future, I would stay at the P-D. If they thought enough of me to make an investment in me, I would want to reward them and work hard to make them better.

I know people will think that's crazy, but that's what I would do. Obviously there are other factors involved in BOTH hypothetical situations. In my case, it would involve doing what would be best for my family, not just myself. That would be the one of the main determining factors. If another paper made an offer I couldn't refuse, then I would definitely consider the move. Like I said, if another school offered someone a scholarship, and it was a better situation all-around, go for it. But in this hypothetical you're talking about a kid giving up a scholarship at one school to go walk-on at another school, which would cost thousands more dollars a year and probably delay his timetable for graduation. That doesn't make much sense to me.

A situation I thought of right away when I first read this thread was where a basketball player from my old school decided to transfer to the big-name university (in the same league) from his home state a couple years ago. The home-state school didn't think enough of the kid to offer a scholarship coming out of high school, so he went to a school that did, had success and became one of the better up-and-coming young players in the conference. Now, shouldn't that player have had more loyalty to the school that did offer him a scholarship? I think so. And I don't say that because I went to that school, either.

- Nate

First of all, no, there is no scholarship waiting for him. There would be enough money to give a full scholarship to MAYBE the top two or three players at most schools ike SLU.And these are comparible in money, size etc...schools that havc far greater tennis programs than SLU. Either one or two kids get all the money, or a handful or larger group of kids split some money. Top schools are the exception in tennis. At a SLU, you get meal money for home game day matches, and obviously full meal/hotel/travel expenses on the road. Some trips are air, others bus. Usually a warm weather trip for Spring Break playing different teams. You obviously get free attire, shoes, etc...whenever need be and rackets with sponsors. Not all players get the racket deals, but all get the rest. There are usually anywhere from 8-10 players on a team. Top 6 at most would get any kind of partial scholarship money or full ride. At a school like SLU, probably more like a couple of people, tops.

It is a non-revenue sport, and at a school like SLU...it is a part time coaching gig, while the coach is making money other ways or is also a club pro. I believe the former women's coach, a good friend of mine, made less than 10k to coach the women's team at SLU. This would have been 5 plus years ago.

As is the case with any sport, the division I college level is a major MAJOR jump from small college or high school, even in tennis. And as one could imagine, there is are MANY MANY different levels of play on the DI level. Sure, SLU's program is not strong at all, creating more opportunities, but the top couple of players at any d-I school can play, no question. To say that SLU would take anybody, or that it still isn't competitive to play there is an uneducated remark on the sport, that simply isn't true.

My question for Vtime would be, what was your local, state, Mo Valley, or regional ranking as a junior player, or how often have you competed against D-I competition? If none of the above apply, you would have to be number one on your team and have an impeccable record of match and tourney play to even have a chance.

Sure, there are exceptions, very very few ....Dipsy was from another country, a bit different, but there are exceptions.

If you are serious, contact SLU's coach. If you need playwr evaluation of yourself and how well you can do, I have many STL local tennis professional friends who would hit with you and know immediately if you were good enough to play for SLU.

As for Nate's comments, colleges use athletes as pieces of meat all the time. I would have to ask Nate how his D-I college athletic career went, and to share his experiences. ...and experience in the recruiting process and playing. You have to look out for yourself first, and do it in an ethical manor.

I wouldn't advise anyone to transfer for one year of college anywhere unless they were extremely unhappy, or had a great opportunity to fulfill an interest or dream otherwise unsatisfied. In this particular situation, no, SLU's program imo isn't good enough to warrant the interest for one year, to make that kind of change. However, if you are also considering a degree from SLU, one could transfer to SLU and graduate, and have a SLU degree on their resume, despite only going there for a year plus. I am a big fan of loyalty, but as long as you carry yourself in a professional manor and are honest with people, change is a part of life, and it isn't a bad thing either.

>First of all, no, there is no scholarship waiting for him.

>There would be enough money to give a full scholarship to

>MAYBE the top two or three players at most schools ike

>SLU.And these are comparible in money, size etc...schools

>that havc far greater tennis programs than SLU. Either one

>or two kids get all the money, or a handful or larger group

>of kids split some money. Top schools are the exception in

>tennis. At a SLU, you get meal money for home game day

>matches, and obviously full meal/hotel/travel expenses on

>the road. Some trips are air, others bus. Usually a warm

>weather trip for Spring Break playing different teams. You

>obviously get free attire, shoes, etc...whenever need be and

>rackets with sponsors. Not all players get the racket

>deals, but all get the rest. There are usually anywhere

>from 8-10 players on a team. Top 6 at most would get any

>kind of partial scholarship money or full ride. At a school

>like SLU, probably more like a couple of people, tops.

>

>It is a non-revenue sport, and at a school like SLU...it is

>a part time coaching gig, while the coach is making money

>other ways or is also a club pro. I believe the former

>women's coach, a good friend of mine, made less than 10k to

>coach the women's team at SLU. This would have been 5 plus

>years ago.

>

>As is the case with any sport, the division I college level

>is a major MAJOR jump from small college or high school,

>even in tennis. And as one could imagine, there is are MANY

>MANY different levels of play on the DI level. Sure, SLU's

>program is not strong at all, creating more opportunities,

>but the top couple of players at any d-I school can play, no

>question. To say that SLU would take anybody, or that it

>still isn't competitive to play there is an uneducated

>remark on the sport, that simply isn't true.

>

>My question for Vtime would be, what was your local, state,

>Mo Valley, or regional ranking as a junior player, or how

>often have you competed against D-I competition? If none of

>the above apply, you would have to be number one on your

>team and have an impeccable record of match and tourney play

>to even have a chance.

>

>Sure, there are exceptions, very very few ....Dipsy was from

>another country, a bit different, but there are exceptions.

>

>If you are serious, contact SLU's coach. If you need playwr

>evaluation of yourself and how well you can do, I have many

>STL local tennis professional friends who would hit with you

>and know immediately if you were good enough to play for

>SLU.

>

>As for Nate's comments, colleges use athletes as pieces of

>meat all the time. I would have to ask Nate how his D-I

>college athletic career went, and to share his experiences.

>...and experience in the recruiting process and playing.

>You have to look out for yourself first, and do it in an

>ethical manor.

>

>I wouldn't advise anyone to transfer for one year of college

>anywhere unless they were extremely unhappy, or had a great

>opportunity to fulfill an interest or dream otherwise

>unsatisfied. In this particular situation, no, SLU's

>program imo isn't good enough to warrant the interest for

>one year, to make that kind of change. However, if you are

>also considering a degree from SLU, one could transfer to

>SLU and graduate, and have a SLU degree on their resume,

>despite only going there for a year plus. I am a big fan of

>loyalty, but as long as you carry yourself in a professional

>manor and are honest with people, change is a part of life,

>and it isn't a bad thing either.

Courtside, you are partially right. The SLU Tennis program has been on the decline since the new coach took over I think around 5 years ago. I know the previous coach who was a fulltime coach at SLU, and he left because he didn't get any support while recruiting top level players but left after 2 years because of the complete lack of support from Lori and Doug. The coach before him who I also know was a part time coach who left because of the same kind of crap with non support. True the top guys on the team will probably have some quality but at SLU after the top 3 it dramatically drops off. I think I would advise anyone to walk on at SLU if they can at least compete. My daughter played PAC 10 tennis and was considering SLU if the former coach was there, I think his last name was Miller or something like that. But dropped all consideration after he left. She just finished a solid career.

Mike Miller? He's a friend of mine. As for womens' tennis, Skip Salzenstein was the previous coach.(his nephew Jeff, probably recognize as current tour player from Stanford) Skip is also a friend of mine. Skip would gladly provide any info needed for this discussion, if asked. Terrific guy. He is former teaching pro, now in private business. Mike and dad Larry Miller , were long time owners of Creve Coeur Racquet club. Skip left SLU because of lack of commitment from the school, combined with his minute compensation. He loved coaching SLU womens' tennis and did a great job. I would recommend any decent level player to try SLU as a walk on to play on back end of the team. ...to give it a shot. I can safely say that at most random D-I schools, even if they have little or no depth, therefore being a dormant program, ...most always have a solid number one player.

IF I or someone I knew had chance to play tennis in the Pac 10 or SLU, it isn't much of a thought. If that person also had a HUGE passion for other aspects of SLU, I would say fine. But from a tennis perspective, it isn't even a conversation. Ever been to a Stanford for example and seen the facilities?...UCLA, etc...

Some Big ten schools can compete...not all, but that is it in Midwest. college tennis is very much a West Coast Southeast sport.

>Mike Miller? He's a friend of mine. As for womens' tennis,

>Skip Salzenstein was the previous coach.(his nephew Jeff,

>probably recognize as current tour player from Stanford)

>Skip is also a friend of mine. Skip would gladly provide

>any info needed for this discussion, if asked. Terrific

>guy. He is former teaching pro, now in private business.

>Mike and dad Larry Miller , were long time owners of Creve

>Coeur Racquet club. Skip left SLU because of lack of

>commitment from the school, combined with his minute

>compensation. He loved coaching SLU womens' tennis and did

>a great job. I would recommend any decent level player to

>try SLU as a walk on to play on back end of the team. ...to

>give it a shot. I can safely say that at most random D-I

>schools, even if they have little or no depth, therefore

>being a dormant program, ...most always have a solid number

>one player.

Sorry had a brain Freeze. The guy that took Skips place was Derek Mills. Skip did a nice job and passed it to his friend Derek for 2 years. He had things rolling and had actually signed a couple of really good national recruits. I always saw him at the National tournaments. Both guys made strides but Derek left because of the obvious lack of support and then the new guy came in and things had really slipped since.

Yeah the Pac 10 Tennis was great to watch. My favorite venue was Stanford. My daughter really considered SLU because she liked Derek and her grandparents live in St. Louis. When Derek Left she stayed close to home. I would care to guess she would have been a top recruit for SLU.

>First of all, no, there is no scholarship waiting for him.

>There would be enough money to give a full scholarship to

>MAYBE the top two or three players at most schools ike

>SLU.And these are comparible in money, size etc...schools

>that havc far greater tennis programs than SLU. Either one

>or two kids get all the money, or a handful or larger group

>of kids split some money. Top schools are the exception in

>tennis. At a SLU, you get meal money for home game day

>matches, and obviously full meal/hotel/travel expenses on

>the road. Some trips are air, others bus. Usually a warm

>weather trip for Spring Break playing different teams. You

>obviously get free attire, shoes, etc...whenever need be and

>rackets with sponsors. Not all players get the racket

>deals, but all get the rest. There are usually anywhere

>from 8-10 players on a team. Top 6 at most would get any

>kind of partial scholarship money or full ride. At a school

>like SLU, probably more like a couple of people, tops.

>

>It is a non-revenue sport, and at a school like SLU...it is

>a part time coaching gig, while the coach is making money

>other ways or is also a club pro. I believe the former

>women's coach, a good friend of mine, made less than 10k to

>coach the women's team at SLU. This would have been 5 plus

>years ago.

>

>As is the case with any sport, the division I college level

>is a major MAJOR jump from small college or high school,

>even in tennis. And as one could imagine, there is are MANY

>MANY different levels of play on the DI level. Sure, SLU's

>program is not strong at all, creating more opportunities,

>but the top couple of players at any d-I school can play, no

>question. To say that SLU would take anybody, or that it

>still isn't competitive to play there is an uneducated

>remark on the sport, that simply isn't true.

>

>My question for Vtime would be, what was your local, state,

>Mo Valley, or regional ranking as a junior player, or how

>often have you competed against D-I competition? If none of

>the above apply, you would have to be number one on your

>team and have an impeccable record of match and tourney play

>to even have a chance.

>

>Sure, there are exceptions, very very few ....Dipsy was from

>another country, a bit different, but there are exceptions.

>

>If you are serious, contact SLU's coach. If you need playwr

>evaluation of yourself and how well you can do, I have many

>STL local tennis professional friends who would hit with you

>and know immediately if you were good enough to play for

>SLU.

>

>As for Nate's comments, colleges use athletes as pieces of

>meat all the time. I would have to ask Nate how his D-I

>college athletic career went, and to share his experiences.

>...and experience in the recruiting process and playing.

>You have to look out for yourself first, and do it in an

>ethical manor.

>

>I wouldn't advise anyone to transfer for one year of college

>anywhere unless they were extremely unhappy, or had a great

>opportunity to fulfill an interest or dream otherwise

>unsatisfied. In this particular situation, no, SLU's

>program imo isn't good enough to warrant the interest for

>one year, to make that kind of change. However, if you are

>also considering a degree from SLU, one could transfer to

>SLU and graduate, and have a SLU degree on their resume,

>despite only going there for a year plus. I am a big fan of

>loyalty, but as long as you carry yourself in a professional

>manor and are honest with people, change is a part of life,

>and it isn't a bad thing either.

I cant remember where our regional final was last season, but it was either MO Valley or William Jewel. One of the kids I played against said he transferred from SLU. I'm thinking it was William Jewel, but I know I played a singles and double match against each school and one of them was the host school. We were outdoors in the rain while the girls tennis team at the same tournament got to play at the indoor courts. I sneezed all over everything the the whole 3 or 4 hour ride home and they probably had to quarantine that bus. It was a blast though. Even though Tennis is not my first sport, I've come to terms with the fact that I'm no longer in basketball shape and being 5'10 will keep me off most college teams so I believe my college basketball career is over. I have always wanted to play a division 1 sport. Tennis is just something I do to keep my weight down. Come by between 12 and 4 at Harris-Stowe for open gym. You can play against me. SLU practiced in our gym at Harris-Stowe today from 3 to 5, and I shook my boy Kevin Lisch's hand.

I was fortunate enough to be able to play 4 sports at the Big D, couple beyond that a step or two......

back when it was more accepted and probably easier to do, multiple sports ...and yes, tennis was one of them.....although many of DeSmet's finest athletes excelled in multiple sports. Nowadays certian coaches have rules for double dipping ...if you are good enough to do it...or playing a club sport while in a high school season...example of this would be...Bob Steiner would never let a kid overlap club soccer after DeSmet's season with hoops. No chance. And perhaps rightly so. ...my background in other sports helped me a lot...to be decent, because I wasn't a little kid prodigy in that sport...and picked it up later than that.......my backrground was year round heavy travel playing other sports as little kid on up.........

.....in the Lou, if I had to recommend the best way to get better, at a junior age, grade school, high school....at least back then, was go to Sunset Tennis Center...I took a pounding from some great players, future big time college players in the warm weather schools...but it was a well structured diverse group of people, great program. Craig Sandvig, he's the best, such a good dude, Richie, those guys. Very flexible with $$(of which I didn't have)...class schedule, late nights, weekends...groups etc...Some great national players came through there for tourneys and play. laid back vibe too. Dug it. If I was going to play competitively, I needed to re-learn the game, and did it there and busted as at weird hours, whatever it took around my other schedules.

Bookstore Bob Kelley was long time coach, then I think it was Coach Dress, then Ripplinger...then I lost track after that.....I know an old buddy of mine, Mike Kaiser helped out some...perhaps in your hs years? Mike's a good kid.

Best advice I could give VTime is to seek out SLU's players or coach...express your interests and ask to hit with somebody on the team or the coach for 30 minutes or so...they won't even need that long to know if you can play with them or not. You have to be aggressive and assert yourself, whether that is someone's personality or not....and locate them, ask and give it a try.

Yeah, Kaiser helped out with the team my senior year. Ripplinger was the coach during my three years with the program, but her last season as head coach was my senior year, which was 2002. She was replaced by Dave Boland, who as far as I know is still the head coach.

In the offseason, the majority of players at DeSmet would participate in clinics with Sunset that were put on by Craig Sandvig. I would sign up for the summer clinic, but I also took private lessons at MAC West during the offseason, so I wouldn't sign up for the Sunset clinic during the school year. Craig's a good guy and definitely knows his stuff. The only problem I had with the program would be that it was during the summer in the afternoon and on the tennis courts at Chaminade. On several occasions the heat gave my asthma some problems, but I tried to give as much effort as I could without keeling over or overheating.

Hey if you can afford private lessons, go for it I say. Obviously carefully choosing the pro. I am well out of that loop these days....as some here know I have lived in different cities since, and travel frequently...but check in with the Lou when I can, sometimes it is a lot more or less than others. I was fortunate to exxcel at other sports, but I was behind the curve a bit techically, and repitition-wise way back then...and needed to catch up fast....and took a pounding for a while, before eventually dishing one out too. so many talented D I players in my age group back then with that group, male and female. There was a lot of flexibility with the program and always people to hit with then. I never did have the private lessons, formally back then....went on to "give" more than I care to mention however over the years of all ages....I am very loyal to those who reach out to me, or others, that "get it" in life. Sandvig is definitely one of them. Knowing I was looking at a few different sports to play in college, Craig without my knowing, wrote some letters for me to some coaches, perhaps a notch above my playing level, at elite schools, reaches if you will, and said you gotta look at this guy...stuff like that. All the while knowing I was looking at other sports, perhaps even more seriously at the time for the next level and beyond. Doug Smith for example, good guy, , would never do that...he goes straight for prodigy and younger stars and grooms them. He was always decent to me...not bashing him......he was very close to a girl I dated's family back then but guys like Sandvig, Richie...some others out there...salt of the earth people, just grindin'....people worth knowing away from the court too. Playing there made a huge difference in my ability, confidence level, made some good unexpected friendships. Definitely the right fit for me. Now, today, I have no idea how it is there or elsewhere...I hear things, check in a bit...but day to day in the know, not close. As I said before, some good people at other places too. A few I could do without or didn't care for, but more good than bad.