A-10 Tournament

BleedBlue

It would have to be .... twelve teams are in it and that must mean much like CUSA the top four get byes. Four prelim games on Wednesday. Those four winners play the four byes on Thursday. Two semis on Friday and the final on Saturday. I don't know how else you do it unless your play those first four games at campus sites ala the MAC. But the Bills play their final regular season game Saturday, March 4 at La Salle in Philly. If other teams in the A10 finish that day as well, you'd never be able to secure dates in the next day or two ..... so its got to be a four-day event.

http://www.atlantic10.org/info/champs.asp

i made reservations at the embassey suites in covington. there is a bridge that you can walk across the ohio river that comes out at the arena. that is as close by foot as any of the downtown hotels actually.

Roy,

Good call on staying on the Kentucky side. A LOT more to do than even downtown cincy in the Covington/Newport area. True there is a bridge, but the Kentucky side also runs a small shuttle (like a dollar a ride) that will take you to all locations along the south side of the Ohio as well as across the river into Cincy to the arena.

A place to check out in Newport...

http://www.hofbrauhausnewport.com/about.html

always like to check out new places to eat and drink. i love german food but find it hard to find good german restaurants (btw, best i have ever had is maders in milwaukee).

i will likely check it out when at the tourney! let me know if there is a planned band trip there that week, that would be a good time likely.

If you have a car, Mt. Adams and Hyde Park are two very cool neighborhoods just outside of downtown, with lots of great places to eat and drink. That's probably where you'll find me.

I'll be staying in the luxurious accomodations of my sister's apartment!

On one of my visits to Cincy our old board participant Gruehls treated me to a most memorable evening of fine Scotch at Teller's in Hyde Park. Very cool neighborhood, kind of a cross between the CWE and Webster Groves. Be sure to stop into Graeter's -- in Hyde Park and elsewhere -- for some equally memorable ice cream.

but nate there is only one that is immediately to the north just a few feet from the arena. that is the bridge i am talking about which goes across the ohio and then is just maybe a 1/4 of a mile walk to the embassey suites. at least that is the way i remember it.

you are correct their arena is not as nice as the savvis. but imo the savvis is a palace. one of the nicer arena's in the country. we are spoiled.

fed ex is basically brand new in memphis. it better be nicer.

For the C-USA tourney a couple of years back, the Kentucky side of the river had a great shuttle that would take you right to the arena and around Cincy and hotels around Convington. It was a dollar a ride. It was GREAT especially for those without cars.

I plan to be at the A-10 tournament pending academic responsibilities. This semester will be a crunch (worse than last, and that is saying something). I will likely use GW for everything. There are student deals for tickets and transportation. Last year GW had a deal: $200 for tickets for all games, hotels, and transportation. They haven't announced their deal yet for this year...And if SLU doesn't get a bye and GW does, I may have to do some figuring of things out.

I hope I can go, but school comes first.

...though gruehls nearly died when he found out his youngest child was accepted at, and offered a scholarship to, SLU.

howdy bonwich. most definately a great memory. in my experience, good things always happen when good friends and quality single malts are present in large quantities.

it is rumored that someone, someday, somewhere, perhaps engaged in unpleasant conduct in the aftermath of basketball in cincinnati, but i do believe those rumors relate only to unsophisticated xavier fans. and, of course, slu72, who has never had a friend or met sophistication (much less single malt scotch), though he holds a singular degree of familiarity with trailer park management and things regarding bad barbeque sauce.

p.s. Quickdraw is a man of unsurpassed discrimination in his evaluation of historic poster talent. regrettably, there is no A-10 fan to fill the void.

p.p.s. who's comin to cincy?

Your youngest decide to attend the University of the Gateway City...If so, you may just have to become a SLU fan....muwahaha...

Now that Gruehls may be on the SLU bandwagon, I definitely got to find a way back to Cincy... I have to dig up that picture of Taj and Gruehls now...

oohhh the inhumanity of the man, knocking my taste in scotch . .....porridge boy still checks us out. Thought he'd be over at the Connecticut board bad mouthing the Huskies. I think deep down at the bottom of his blackheart beats the heart of a Billiken wannabe....hey, have your daughter get you one of those "Billiken DAD" sweatshirts! It'll look good with your Can't Wait Til Retirement mesh backed rayon black hat you bought on your last visit to the waffle house. Where I hear you like single malt syrup with your pancakes. The folks at the Pearly Gates miss you Gruehlsy. Stop by again....I need my Skyline restocked.

that a picture of gruehls wearing a "slu student dad" sweatshirt would be a very valuable commodity on the blackmail market!

>oohhh the inhumanity of the man, knocking my taste in scotch

>. .....porridge boy still checks us out. Thought he'd be

>over at the Connecticut board bad mouthing the Huskies. I

>think deep down at the bottom of his blackheart beats the

>heart of a Billiken wannabe....hey, have your daughter get

>you one of those "Billiken DAD" sweatshirts! It'll look good

>with your Can't Wait Til Retirement mesh backed rayon black

>hat you bought on your last visit to the waffle house. Where

>I hear you like single malt syrup with your pancakes. The

>folks at the Pearly Gates miss you Gruehlsy. Stop by

>again....I need my Skyline restocked.

can't bad-mouth uconn; they just beat us, though we had a shot at 'em. if we hadn't lost kirkland, we really could have whipped 'em.

my daughter is a senior at ohio state so it's unlikely she'd be shopping for SLU gear. my youngest is a senior at St. Xavier high school here and he's the one looking at colleges now.

as for retirement, you're older than me. also more familiar than me with mesh backed rayon, or any type of rayon, i have no doubt. for that matter, you have a lot more recent experience with crayons. try to stay within the lines, willya?

if you never tried single malt pancake syrup, don't criticize it.