attendance

want i want first and foremost is a facility that will include not only game accomodations, but all the sports offices, training and practice facilities. if that can be accomplished along with 13,500 capacity that is great.

however, if including the offices, training and practice amenities raises the price tag substantially, then i would dump the 3,500 seats before the offices, training and practice facilities.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true.

What I'd really like in the new arena is a garage with some sort of Electronic device that would shock the hell out of anyone over the age of 35 who desides to try to back in their sport utility vehicle.

My wife is convinced that Roy and the other oldsters are going to boycott the family arena game because they can't back in (holding up traffic entering the lot) and then leave 5 minutes early to beat the crowd.

Any device that involves shocking idiots is okay with me.

I'd like to have a giant net installed in front of the student section to keep people from throwing mini-balls on the court. Either that, or the next time we get called for a technical for throwing objects on the court, each fan gets to take a free shot at the culprit. Kind of like how they handled the "We gotta get out of here!" lady in the movie Airplane.

i have never left a billiken game early. tell your wife she is no my list.

btw, as it is getting closer to saturday, i am getting antsy about selling my tix. i now know what herion addiction is like.

Everytime I drive by an SUV poorly backed in, taking up a space and a half or have to wait while one of those old wizards backs in with two or three passengers giving hand signals, I long for a 1974 green Dodge Dart to park centimeters away from the massive doors of those masoleums on wheels.

You're right, the fans should all be fitted with the explosive collars from the beginning of the movie "Running Man." Oh course, I'd vote for forcing fans to put them on before parking. The odd headless corpse around is a small price to pay for good parking and no t's from the crowd

If we hold 1,500 seats for students and 2,500 to accommodate the casual fan, in a 10,000 seater, that leaves only 6,000 for season ticket holders. However, we currently sell approx. 7,500 season tickets. That is the reality of a 10,000 facility. However, why rush into building the on campus arena. It is not a panacea. You still need a product. The main problem with building early is highway construction. The Market St. exit off I-64 east is woefully inadequate. Combine that w/ construction to take place @ Brentwood and the arena is a tough place to get to. It is also not convenient in regard to Metro Link. Apparantly we do not have a good working relationship w/ Laurie. However, he seems intent on selling. We may do better w/ the new owner. Here is the logic for a 10,000 seat arena. You don't have to market the product, you can raise prices, expenses are cut, you probably can attract smaller concerts and profit increases. Some fans get left out, but so what. Endowment increases because the heavy donors get priority on tickets. The heavy donors don't use Metro Link. You can build now. Limited supply over comes inconvenient access to the new facility.

both the 1500 for students and 2500 for casual fans are generous. cant remember the last time we had that many students and casual fans only come to watch adam morrison.

>If we hold 1,500 seats for students and 2,500 to accommodate

>the casual fan, in a 10,000 seater, that leaves only 6,000

>for season ticket holders. However, we currently sell

>approx. 7,500 season tickets. That is the reality of a

>10,000 facility. However, why rush into building the on

>campus arena. It is not a panacea. You still need a

>product. The main problem with building early is highway

>construction. The Market St. exit off I-64 east is woefully

>inadequate. Combine that w/ construction to take place @

>Brentwood and the arena is a tough place to get to. It is

>also not convenient in regard to Metro Link. Apparantly we

>do not have a good working relationship w/ Laurie. However,

>he seems intent on selling. We may do better w/ the new

>owner. Here is the logic for a 10,000 seat arena. You

>don't have to market the product, you can raise prices,

>expenses are cut, you probably can attract smaller concerts

>and profit increases. Some fans get left out, but so what.

>Endowment increases because the heavy donors get priority on

>tickets. The heavy donors don't use Metro Link. You can

>build now. Limited supply over comes inconvenient access to

>the new facility.

No way we hold 1500 tix open for students when we probably average less than a third of that number now. Under your senario we might as well join the MVC or go division II. Why else would you build a facility smaller than your fan base? As to access there are as many asses points to the new arena as there are to saviss. I'll still be taking 44 to the game, certainly while 40 is being revamped.

Fortunately, limiting supply is not necessary and Biondi is building this thing, not you and Roy

Last night at the billiken club meeting Cheryl said she had spend the day with architects planning the practice facility and offices that will be part of the new arena. She also said that current plans are for 13000 seats. If it's going to be downsized it certainly isn't official. She said fund raising has stalled but ground would definitely be broken in 06.

cheryl should get into politics. she promises the bigger arena with all the bells and whistles, and a ground breaking this year, but in the same breath admits fund raising stalled. impressive double speak. i wish i had been there.

any other news last nite willie?

Willie thanks for info. End of discussion. However, I want to add one thing. Purpose of the on campus arena is to increase student involvement. Therefore, if you can't or don't feel you can increase student participation why build. 1,200 to 1,500 is only about a 12% involvement. It seems a realistic goal.

AND AFTER THE MEETING SHE'S GOING TO DOGTOWN AND DUTCHTOWN AND THE NORTHSIDE AND THE EASTSIDE AND TO CLAYTON AND WILDWOOD AND BALLWIN HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with the bigger is better crowd. I'm not advocating 24,000 like Rupp or anything, but having been a season ticket holder (with the family) and a regular in attendence, I KNOW we will get back to the levels we were at prior to the Romar years in season ticket base. IE 12,000+.

That number in this city is achieveble and sustainable. Look around the sports scene, Rams were down again, and who knows when they rebound. Blues games have announced crowds of 14,xxx with about half of that actually there. We win some games and people join up on the hated bandwagon. The problem is that those bandwagon jumpers that some seem to hate, become (in alot of cases) regular fans.

Just because you arent a season ticket holder (for a variety of reasons, scheduling, money) doesn't make you a bad person or someone we should try to keep away from the program or games. Those folks who can only make it to 10 games, or even five or six are just as much fans as the rest of us who have season tickets and sit on our hands, or have to be "nudged" when something happens.

We want those FANS in the audience who show emotion and excitement by the play. 10000, or 500 or three (the number doesnt matter) season ticket holders who still (after how many years?) dont chant the S-A-INT L-O-UIS on a regular basis is weak. The time when I heard a large number of fans actually doing it was that Gonzaga game when the bandwagon jumpers were in the crowd. So, if the bandwagon folks get the building pumped? I'll gladly take them.