The skinny on McGuire

slu72

hey local hs followers, what's up with all this crap on McGuire. I can understand a kid having a bad game, but those posters were pretty harsh on him.....did we waste one here? Also, don't tell me his dad is another Kevin Slaten type? By the way why didn't we recruit Bobby Hill, grades/academics? Or was it because he's a sg and we committed to McGuire.

I will say it was only 1 game ... but I was incredibly unimpressed. Again only 1 game ... and my take could very easily be wrong ... in fact I assume it is. UB has seen him much more than I have ... so I would guess that I am wrong an UB is right.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I have seen Dustin play AAU ball the past two summers. I probably caught 12-13 of his games against good competition.

Dustin is an excellent shooter from mid-range to the deep 3pter, plus he is a willing shooter. When Dustin moves into SLU this June, he will probably be the best perimeter shooter on the team (as it is known today). He will shoot better than DP, TL, DB, LM and possibly KL.....but I have to see Kevin relax a bit with his shot.

SLU has only 11 scholarship players at this time .... because Soderberg doesn't believe in just pissing away scholarship at this point as he is trying hard to build a solid program. He wants a balanced roster with good players at every academic year. Soderberg would not have offered Dustin a scholarship if Dustin couldn't help his program.

Dustin is strong enough now and will get stronger in college. He has average D1 speed and average D1 hops. Dustin role with SLU will be that of a shooter/zone buster.

What Dustin does, or doesn't do, at Edwardsville over the next three months isn't that important. What Dustin does from April 2006 thru March 2010 is very important.

Very well put. I have a lot of respect for your opinion given that you have seen him play a lot of games. One bad game doesn't provide a very meaningful indication of what he will do for 4 years at SLU.

I know we got to Dustin early, but who else had expressed an interest in him?

While Maguire's performance yesterday was disappointing for Billiken fans — especially to the people who were watching him for the first time — it was in no way indicative of why he was recruited by SLU.

He was signed so he could hang out on the perimeter and knock down shots. Not so he could run Edwardsville's four-corners delay offense.

It will be interesting to see how his senior season unfolds. Edwardsville has a lot of talent and will win a lot of games, but at 6-feet-5 Maguire will be forced to play inside, away from his strength. I think he'll be fine once he gets used to the system, but he's definitely not getting many shots right now and that has to be discouraging for a kid who's known as a shooter.

- Nate

3.8 at vashon with irons running roughshod over all the teachers for the players doesnt necessarily mean much. look at hill's brother down in semo academically ineligible now.

imo, soderberg wanted a pure shooter. that is what mcguire is. hill is not.