Soccer postponed by snow

bonwich

But, then somebody would die. People have had life long paralysis even when the pads are worn. Skip, I bet you that if you or I were hit by Ray Lewis even with our pads on, we wouldn't get right up. But, if you or I were slide tackled or run in to by Alexi Lalas (forgive me if that is spelled wrong and also that I can't name too many players)we'd bounce right up. Then again, soccer is not a contact sport really and football is. Not a shot on soccer, just the way it is. If you talk to high school players who played football and then go on to college, they all say it's a rude awakening and that the hardest hitting guys in high school usually don't compare to the hits in college and then the college guys say the same for the pros. My soccer friends who have played both in college and in the pros never would say that. They would say that the game is completely played at a higher level. You can argue athleticism, stamina, and all that with soccer, but you'd have a hard time arguing pro soccer and pro football, also college soccer with college football in terms of toughness.

Tonka ... I was just being sarcastic with Rich.

I understand toughness ... and agree the viciousness of hits in the highest levels of football is extremely hard.

I played in the AirForce ... Basketball, Soccer and Rugby for an Army team in Germany ... Rugby is tough ... but doesn't have near the impact hits that football has.

I tried out to punt and kick for the base football team but could never get the timing down and didn't make the team ... At the practices I would always be amazed at the intensity of the practices ... To be honest I didn't want any part of trying out for any other position.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I know of a lot of soccer players that were recruited by football teams like to kick or punt. That doesn't bad mouth soccer, it just shows the games are very different. I think a lot of football people in general make fun of the kickers and punters and it's often done on the Fox pre-game football show on Sundays. You know what though, where would the Rams be this year without Jeff Wilkens?

>But, then somebody would die. People have had life long

>paralysis even when the pads are worn. Skip, I bet you that

>if you or I were hit by Ray Lewis even with our pads on, we

>wouldn't get right up. But, if you or I were slide tackled

>or run in to by Alexi Lalas (forgive me if that is spelled

>wrong and also that I can't name too many players)we'd

>bounce right up. Then again, soccer is not a contact sport

>really and football is. Not a shot on soccer, just the way

>it is. If you talk to high school players who played

>football and then go on to college, they all say it's a rude

>awakening and that the hardest hitting guys in high school

>usually don't compare to the hits in college and then the

>college guys say the same for the pros. My soccer friends

>who have played both in college and in the pros never would

>say that. They would say that the game is completely played

>at a higher level. You can argue athleticism, stamina, and

>all that with soccer, but you'd have a hard time arguing pro

>soccer and pro football, also college soccer with college

>football in terms of toughness.

Tonka I guarantee you wouldn't just jump right up...I've seen guys legs snapped during slide tackles and trying to compare it to football is ridiculous. It's two different sports. I'm not saying football players aren't tough...it's probably the roughest sport there is but don't imply that soccer isn't physical either, that's ludicrous.