PD-same old same old

slu72

Went to the website to see if anything about Billiken hoops...nada. They do have a poll going on how we are going to do this year: 24 voters so far; 12% 20 wins 36% 15-19 wins 42% 10-14 wins 10% under 10. One would think an article was merited for the opening of the season.

I think I'm gonna stop bitching about our coverage until we start winning. Sometimes I get the feeling that the powers that be at the PD just sit around and laugh at us. I mean, we keep sending them letters and bitching about coverage and it doesn't help. In fact, they switch us to a beat reporter that everybody despises (admittedly, I don't know much about this timmerman guy, but I trust your opinions). It's like some sort of cruel joke. We keep harping on this issue and nothing changes. To be honest, this isn't our job. We shouldn't have to plead with our paper for coverage. This is the job of somebody in our athletic department...sid?? If we're gonna complain, I say send that guy an email everyday until you hear a worthwhile response.

what is frustrating though nashville, is that for a long time we got the same coverage we are getting again now. then stu comes along and does a very good job quality wise, and it seemed we were also getting more space. he is rewarded with a promotion and it is back to the same ole thing.

it is my guess that larry starks just cant get time off from his real job at the car wash to devote any real thought to what is the right thing to do.

I feel your pain, Nashville. I bring it up in the hopes someone at SID or even Mr. Timmerman reads this board, they both should, and fix the frigging problem. We've got three local kids on this team who were considered the top talents from the St. Louis area(DP, TL, and KL), we've got a new conference, we're coming off a disaster season, we're playing the defending national champ, got at least 4 or 5 preseason top 25 teams coming into St.Louis, I would think there is a readership out there that would find all these stories intriguing. Let me repeat for those who may read this, we are the only high level hoops program in St. Louis! There have got to be more than 200-300 college basketball fans in St. Louis. D1 college hoops is pretty big business, check out ESPN some time, why are St.Louis readers left in the dark about it?

I know it can be frustrating that we do not get anything in the Post, but honestly, even when they do write, it is EXTREMELY rare that they write something that we do not already know. There is way more information on this board than anything the Post could ever come up with. On top of that, some of the stuff the Post has written on the Bills has been inaccurate.

I know that coverage by the Post would help the fan base, but not nearly as much as winning would. I guess my take is that the Post's presence in St. Louis is just a mental irritant, but of little material consequence to the real success of the program.

BTW - NashvilleBilliken: I ate at the Stockyards Restaurant in Nashville last weekend. Wow! What a meal and what a wine list. Too bad it is 4.5 hours away from St. Louis.

Oh don't get me wrong. I completely agree that the lack of coverage of Billiken Basketball over the past 6-8 months is unacceptable. As the ONLY division one basketball program in the STL/Metro East area, we should be getting much more attention. I'm in the middle of UT country here in Nashville and the Vanderbilt football program has sucked worse than the bills in recent years; however, they get top notch coverage compared to the Bills. I do think that winning will change our problems, but it shouldn't have to come to that. I just think that our approach is not working and nobody in PD OR SLU administration gives a $hit.

alumni fan said,

"I know it can be frustrating that we do not get anything in the Post, but honestly, even when they do write, it is EXTREMELY rare that they write something that we do not already know. There is way more information on this board than anything the Post could ever come up with."

that is a sad fact and only illustrates even more that the average st louis sports fan that doesnt come to billikens.com is being cheated. also, there is no way that a beat reporter should consistently be beat to the story by a messageboard. that is a sad testiment to the poor non-caring job he is doing.

Disagree totally about this board vs a beat reporter and quality of the information. A lot of what we get is hearsay, opinion, innuendo, etc. A reporter has access to players, UB, assistants, etc that we can only dream about. He should be asking questions that he believes fans would find interesting, eg Obi's status, whats the real scoop on JJ, in fact I'd like to interview JJ and UB at the same time (he/you obviously have talent and little competition why ain't he/you starting?), what makes AD so valuable to this team, names of recruits or at the least what are you looking for? Now what I'd like to see is Broy convince the powers that be at SID that Billikens.com needs our own beat reporter and grant him this kind of access. If he does, I would never check out st.louis today.com ever again.

slu72 said, "Now what I'd like to see is Broy convince the powers that be at SID that Billikens.com needs our own beat reporter and grant him this kind of access."

first off, i dont want that job. i dont have time for that job. and second, and most important, you forget according to newberry, everyone in the atletic dept hates me. so why would they ever listen or talk to me?

they detest this site and would never grant us any sort of inside position.

for example, right after the bluecrewprez gave billikens.com a very nice thank you and special mention, she handed the mike back to cheryl levick. would have been very easy for cheryl to second that mention. she didnt.

St. Louis is a professional sports town and this is a huge time for pro sports in STL. The fact is that people want to read about the Cards in the NLCS the Rams and all of the Martz stuff, and even the Blues. Coming off a 9-21 year there just isn't much interest around St. Louis and newspapers these days cater to the demands of the readership. Even Mizzou and Illinois football coverage has been limited and Mizzou is actually looking good this season. Come hoops season that will be different, but in October other than a few die-hards, Billiken hoops is off the radar. We aren't Columbia or Champaign-Urbana where nothing else is going on. What I would like to see is more coverage of the soccer teams and their success (particularly the women who are dominating the A-10+4).

By the way, I checked the Lansing paper today, nothing on the big MSU event that drew over 12,000 fans. I didn't see any coverage on madison.com (site that covers the 2 papers in Madison, WI) regarding the UW-Madison event on Friday. Marquette's that drew 4K did get coverage in the Journal, but that is likely because the Packers were off this week and they had space to fill. In the same issue, UW-Milwaukee's event the same night that drew 1500 didn't get covered.

I have no hard evidence of negativity about Billikens.com from the Levick Administration. I honestly haven't even met Cheryl yet. Admitedly, the early relations of Billikens.com and SLU were not fantastic, but some of that is my fault. The maturity and rational of a 13-15 year old when dealing with a professional athletic department may of not been the best. From the Woolard Administration, I heard more negatives than positives. However, I had a very good relationship with John Garrison. Doug Woolard was always extremely pleasant to me as well. I was sort of sad to see the two of them go.

However, overall, I can understand why the Athletic Director does not want to thank an association that is not affiliated with the University. And she probably shouldn't. Thank the Blue Crew and Billiken Club. I was happy that Billikens.com could help, but wasn't really expecting any recognition from the University.

Basically this site is something that I am 95% sure that the Athletic Department checks daily, but they rarely acknowledge its presence. I would like to remind the AD if reading, Mike Alden at Mizzou has posted on Tigerboard, and I am more than willing to work something out with SLU.

I would have to agree that STL is a pro sports town. With that said, the college hoops beat writer usually gets promoted and steps up from the position with frequency in the kinds of towns/cities. This isn't Chapel Hill or SEC football where those are the more coveted positions.

I would also agree, that if SLU wants more coverage, win. Win some games, have a winning record. Beat UNC this year...etc...win.