SLU2-UMichigan1

what a nite! Homecoming, great weather, great crowd. Exciting game. Ten minutes of fireworks at halftime that was really good.

The PA anouncer really pushed 590AM as the new voice of the Bills, urged all to tune in to the Rammer in the afternoon (no mention of Slaten, sorry Kevin)

Best game I have seen the soccer Bills play this year. Played hard start to finish and save for a phantom call by the ref in the second half, we would have had a shutout. 15 minutes into the first half, Dado scored on a header after passes from Johnny D and Kyle Patterson. I was impressed by our overall quickness to the ball, and all our players had better ball skills than the Big Ten team. Only real player for them was no 7, Grewe (?) Really seemed quick on his spin moves and had to be respected.

4 minutes into the second half DAnny Wynne got kicked in the nose by the opponents knee, no call by the ref. While Wynne was complaining to the ref, and his nose was bleeding, he leaned over and wiped his nose on the refs sleeve. DW went over to the bench, stuffed his nose with paper towels and went back on to play.

Best game I've seen Mo Benne play all year. Reminded me of Tim Ward, protecting the ball well with his big body, and consistently taking the ball away from his man. J Diramondo was visibly limping throughout the second half. Hurt me to watch him play...really a gamer.

With 13 minutes left to play in the second half, the ref called a phantom call which no one around me could understand. They got a direct kick, and Grewe put it in with the direct kick. We got it back at 9:57 wheb Danny Wynne also hit a direct kick, bobbled by the keeper and the rest was ball control.

This was a good win for us. Played smart and aggressively.

Interested to see what the truly soccer knowledgeable have to say.

mhg

Very good game ... their goal came off a free kick after a hand ball. I couldn't see it clearly (and I can't remember the player) but he jumped in front of a shot and it got his arm, what I couldn't tell was if his arm was on or off his side. If it was against his side it is part of his body and should have not been called, but I couldn't tell.

We played well ... some observations.

Sweet will become a fan favorite, he hustles and is all over the place ... very quick feet. He is a little soft on his passes, but he is fun to watch.

Vilmer has improved leaps and bounds ... he plays strong and uses his head well.

Dado and Alex need to play harder D on the oppositions defenders, we will never create turnovers in the offensive end until they step it up.

We need Disbennet in goal ... I couldn't tell for sure, but was Seckman leaning the wrong way on their goal. It looked like a shot he should have gotten to ... There is no reason to be leaning on a shot from 30 yards.

I think the ref drove the Michigan team bus ... or maybe his daughter goes there. He was horrible. He couldn't keep up with the play and was NEVER in position to make the proper call. IF your not fit you shouldn't be reffing Div 1 soccer.

Mo Benne plays strong ... but nothing like Tim Ward. The entire defense played well. It is too bad we don't have Ward on one wing back and Danny Wynn on the other ... talk about speed.

The major difference in this game was our style of play. We played the ball long down the wing occasionaly but mostly we possessed the ball and played it through on the ground. We don't have the speed or the size to continue to play the ball long, especially down the middle and from the back line. Our strength is quickness and hustle and we used that today.

My stars of the game would be Sweet, Danny Wynn and Jason Vilmer who really did a good job replacing Calmus.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

The ref was a complete and utter idiot. The call he made for their direct kick which led to a goal was absolutely pathetic. Literally nothing happend except for Vilmer dispossessing their #3 as he dribbled into the 18 yd box. No one fell down, no one was pushed ....worst phantom call I've ever seen. Plus the guy couldn't figure out if he was going to let the boys play physical or not. He make some really weak calls but then let some aggregious things happen.

I did not like the swagger of Michigan especially their 300lb gorilla of a coach. I really thought after Johhny D got taken down near halftime that things were going to blow up in the second half.

Eric Sweetin is the man. If there was one person on the field that looked like he was involved with every single play it was Sweetin. Hustled his a$$ off and started the transition numerous times.

Matteson worked hard as well and showed that he was the captain out there. How about that freakin laser of a side volley he put on from 25 yds out just over the cross bar? And didn he have that blast just past the left post as well? Those were some bombs.

Good to see Gaspo in there. The backline did very well last night.

It was simply a different team that played last night compared to the crap we've seen this year. It was SLU soccer through and through. Have to carry it on now through the A-10.

I don't know much about soccer but have bought season tickets for men's this year and have gone to three games. They played much better last night than in recent outings. The referee seemed at odds with his assignment since he was not in condition to run. Great crowd and atmosphere in a great facility on a beautiful campus. The transformation of the campus compared to late 60's is incredible.

The men's basketball team was collecting donations for hurricane relief and so we got to talk to several. Obi is very large and said no decision yet on playing or redshirting but is doing therapy, is playing and is doing well. Ian looks to be in really good shape compared to the previous two years and his teammates expect him to have a big year. I admit I am hopelessly optimistic about Billiken basketball but I have the feeling we will surprise some people this year. Can't wait.

I watched the game live on Charter tv. Rammer talks the soccer language and Bill McDermott (sp?) is excellent. Charter shows a ton of replays which put a clear light on certain plays.

The diving/reaching SLU goalie got one hand on the free kick that went in for Michigan ...... but the force of the well-placed shot (up in the corner) was too much for an out-reached hand.

On SLU's second goal it appeared that Wynn's ball was ever-so slightly deflected by a Michigan player causing the ball to have a minor change of direction prior to reaching the goal line. (Charter's view on this goal was from high and behind the Michigan goal, as was the multiple replays of SLU's first goal.)

There was an interesting story about the SLU goalie, Sackman (sp?). He graduated from SLU in May 2005 after redshirting his first year, works 40 hours a week for a Clayton CPA firm, and is taking 18hrs of SLU graduate courses this semester. He practices with the team 2-3 times per week.....as he tries to cover for SLU's shortage of healthy goalies.

I agree withn you on Alex M he played a very good game. We just missed about 3 times also. This was a team win though ... I don't know that I could pick out a player that I thought played poorly.

I don't understand Casey Speiss starting though ... he brings so little to the table.

I recognized the b-ball players last night right as I walked in and gave them a couple bucks, but can I ask one thing of those guys? I think they could have done a better job of presenting themselves, i.e. dressed a bit more appropriately. I can guarantee you that people there who are unfamiliar with the b-ball guys probably had second thoughts about giving money to guys walking around like they just stepped in from off the street. Seems like they could have taken the time to put on a polo, khakis, and taken off the hats and doo-rags if they were going to be working among a soccer crowd. The guys I specifically saw were Vashoun, Brown, and Anthony.

I think Skip's first post is right on...SLU has to figure out how to play with their lack of speed and lack of size. Usually you have one or both....Benne is a solid back, physical, and finally healthy. You have to remember he hasn't been healthy in a long time. He is a much different style of player than Tim Ward to compare them. Ward is one of those special talents who can play a very skilled game at a very high rate of speed...either in back or upfront. He also has no conscious. There is a reason he starts every game for MLS NY Metro Stars as a would be college sophomore. SLU imo is solid in back without a star. They would be lost without Wynn's speed. He is such a likeable player who improves each year. Too bad this is his senior season. Sure the second goal wasn't the cleanest, but efforts like his get rewards from time to time. The margin for error is small for SLU in goal, and that isn't acceptable. Sweetin is a contribute right away frosh, something SLU needed this year. You can win with smaller players and without the great speed of other teams, but you have to have highly skilled players who work their butts off every night to do it. SLU doesn't have enough of those guys....the great teams have the relentless workers who also have size and speed too.

A great win. Michigan is now a solid name in college soccer. Will SLU get up for every A-10 game, with much lesser names??? They better if they want to dance. No reason they shouldn't steam roll most of those teams.

...Notre Dame continues to struggle...a 3-3 tie with West Virginia. IU stumbles at home against a solid Penn St team. SMU finally getting a win over UAB. Tulsa playing better too. Duke routing BC 3-0 and looking better too.

Should be interesting to see if SLU women can pick up a few more wins and get ranked. I know some affiliated with the team were grumbling..okay their coach was grumbling...about not being ranked despite defeating ranked Marquette in pre-season on road 2-0. Well...there is a reason it is called pre-season. I really do like having a few tough non-conference games, especially with the soft A-10 schedule...but if you want to get ranked...gotta pull one of those wins off....losing 2-1 to both Duke and top ten Santa Clara...and playing them very tough isn't enough...especially when you throw in a not so good loss to Oklahoma. I do however think the SLU women will get into the rankings later on after winning their conference. Maybe the men can too?

I am hopeful with new Blues Owner Dave Checketts MLS background for getting a club in STL....but I don't expect it any time soon. After all I was told his top priority was to get an NBA team in St. Louis...even more so than making the Blues an elite team...but he'll at least get the Blues competitive. for me, he can make the Blues good first, then scoop up an MLS team, then hit the NBA circuit if he wants.

What I think we have is a reasonable amount of quickness ... not speed. What I have seen prior to the Michigan game was us playing a style that doesn't fit our talents. I think we have a strong back line, especially with Calmus playing, with some decent offensive skill in Danny and Brandon. What they had been doing though was consistently playing the ball long in the air. We rarely win those balls. We have to keep the ball on the ground and maintain possession and push the ball through on the ground. Then you play the long ball when you catch them cheating a bit. With our talent level though we need to have hard workers to maintain possession.