Chris Carrawell signs with Rocheste Razorsharks

Newberry

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why would billiken fans care about carrawell who spurned the billikens and a chance to be a legend in st louis, to be a support player elsewhere and now a cba player in outstate new york?

if you know you are good enough to definitely go to the nba, i might buy that. but carrawell was always a marginal nba prospect at best.

at slu he would have been a star from day one and probably went down in slu history as one of the best ever. look at the way we look at claggett, highmark, justin love, bonner, perry, etc. last year when donnie dobbs was honored as a hall of fame entrant, he got a standing ovation at a billiken game. that love also translates to post college opportunities in the business market here in st louis. i can guarantee you if carrawell and claggett came to me for jobs with like credentials, claggett would get the job. and my bet is that the majority of st louis would do the same.

all you gotta do is think of the robertson boys to back my point. who would get the bigger applause at a st louis audience? mcdonalds all american and kansas grad, ryan or billiken troy? troy by far. ryan would be lucky to get an opera clap.

come on, Roy, Duke or SLU? No comparison. Back in the day when Joe Wolf spurned Marquette for North Carolina the response, to this day, is "can you blame him?" Same reason Tyler Hansborough went to UNC over Mizzou - you don't say no to the truly elite programs, even when your hometown program is after you. There are plenty of Michigan football kids who went to Notre Dame over Michigan State, including kids from East Lansing. Again, who can blame them - Notre Dame is (was) Notre Dame.

18 year olds aren't worried about the reaction they'll get from the hometown crowd when they're 35, they care about playing in front of packed houses, in the tourney every year, in the Final Four, and on TV nightly while being worshiped on campus. You are guaranteed that at Duke - what 18 year old is going to say no to that?

Going to Duke you get well connected with anybody. WHen Chris goes in and says he played for Duke and Coach K and ACC player of the year and 1st team. THat looks good, but playing for the billikens doesn't make anybody look good. What did Troy do while he was here, nothing.

But, if you like hiring billikens for your insurance company that if fine, but I would rather hire people that have achieved a lot more for my company.

fine, but dont ask why years later no one cares that chris carrawell is playing with rochester in the cba and more people here are more interested in what justin love's ppg was in china last year. that was my point. st louis is loyal to those that are loyal to st louis. not those that escape.

btw, wolf should have went to marquette for the same reason.

again the question was why shouldnt he have gone to duke over slu. i pointed out why we care more in st louis about loyal st louisans. if chris wants to move to durham more power to him. but he wont ever be welcomed with open arms here that is the point.

My recollection recalls that he was an All-American his senior year, but that's fuzzy. Regardless, he had a fantastic senior year at Duke and was a positive contributor for four years.

I'd take his career at Duke where they were national contenders every year, than be a star at a school that never makes the NCAA.

.. was the point not if he should or should not have gone to Duke. This is a Billiken Board, not a native St. Louisan board. Newberry had a post of little interest in the Billiken realm. Roy responded. Frankly, I don't care what Chris Carrawell is up to. I'd be interested in what the real Charles Newberry is up to ... or dale renken .. or Darryl Anderson ..... or Jimmy Glass. Granted, it'd be for about a whole two minutes but it would interest me more and be about 118 seconds more than I'm interested in Chris.

newberry said,

"Why would you say that. So you are saying people will hat him for going to DUKE over SLU. SLU was terrible when he was in high school, so why go to a terrible school. He would have nobody around him anyway."

most recruits commit the summer before their senior season. the junior year of chris carrawell at cardinal ritter was the same season that the billikens were co-champions of the great midwest and went to the second round of the ncaa beating minnesota in the first round. with seniors erwin claggett, scott highmark and h waldmen.

even then, it was pretty much understood that larry hughes and matt baniak would be heading to slu in a couple of seasons. ie. carrawell would have been a sophomore hughes and baniak's freshmen seasons.

as to your saying i said people will hate him, i never said hate. but they sure dont love him for leaving. it is more a matter of indifference.

i would hope chris is smart enough to see his error and advises his little brother to take the billiken route.

He made the right decision in going to Duke.

However, I couldn't care less about what he did at Duke or what he's done after Duke, just like I don't care about what Bobby Hurley or Christian Laettner are up to these days.

Sure, he's from St. Louis, but big deal - this is a SLU board.

Broy said "again the question was why shouldnt he have gone to duke over slu. i pointed out why we care more in st louis about loyal st louisans. if chris wants to move to durham more power to him. but he wont ever be welcomed with open arms here that is the point."

Says who? You? There's a shock, Roy doesn't care for somebody. I for one am a basketball fan and that just doesnt limit me to SLU although that is a favorite. I appreciate the update on Carrawell. He is a St. Louisan who went elsewhere and had a stellar career. It's not like he went to SIUC or Kansas or somewhere else, He went to DUKE for Gods sake, who, besides Roy can blame him.

Typical hater Roy.

more than me has already posted her phan saying they too couldnt care less about chris carawell. you and newberry are the only ones that have an interest apparently.

Nobody "knew" Hughes was going to SLU - the guy took an official visit to Memphis and liked it so much he got a tiger tattooed on his chest. SLU lucked into Larry. No issues with his brother, Hughes almost definitely goes elsewhere (Memphis or Syracuse).

Also, Co-Champions of the GMC? What year was this? The GMC was dead after the 94-95 season, a season in which Cincy won the title. Marquette won it in 1994, (I think) the only other team than Cincy to win the GMC outright.

By the way, Carrawell's accomplishments at Duke (not to mention 1 NCAA Title Game appearance and a Duke degree):

HONORS:

Duke Circle of Honor

1999-2000/Senior

Captain

1999 USA Basketball World University Games Team

1st Team All-America, United States Basketball Writers Association

1st Team All-America, NABC/Oldsmobile

1st Team All-America, The Sporting News

2nd Team All-America, AP

3rd Team All-America, Basketball Times

All-District III and District III Player of the Year, USBWA

Student Goodwill Ambassador Award

Wooden All-America Selection, Finalist

ACC 1st Team, AP

1st Team All-ACC Tournament

ACC All-Defensive Team

ACC Player of the Week, 1/10/2000

ACC Player of the Year

Only second Duke player with: 1,000+ points, 600+ rebounds, 100+ blocks, and 300+ assists (Grant Hill is the other)

1998-1999/Junior

ACC 3rd Team

ACC All-Defensive Team

1997-1998/Sopomore

2nd Team All-ACC Tournament

1996-1997/Freshman

ACC All-Rookie Team