Koch plans several visits - SLU not included

http://www.wbby.com/text-blurb.htm

Excerpt:

"Ashwaubenon senior Adam Koch said Monday he plans to take official visits to two NCAA Division I colleges in early September.

The 6-foot-8 Koch said he’ll visit West Virginia of the Big East Conference over Labor Day weekend. He also plans to visit Wichita State the weekend of Sept. 8-10.

In addition, Koch will take unofficial visits to both Loyola of Chicago and Northwestern in the near future. He previously took unofficial visits to both UW-Green Bay and UW-Milwaukee.

In recent weeks, both Creighton and Washington State have expressed interest in the Koch, ranked third among prep prospects in the class of 2006 by the Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook.

Koch said he will most likely take an official visit to Washington State, and he may do the same with Creighton."

It's just another example of how difficult it is for slu to recruit quality players from outside the area on a consistent basis. lorenzo found that out and brad is starting to realize it too. casey crawford is setting up visits as well and slu is nowhere to be found.

it goes to show once again. you have to concentrate of recruiting your own area. that not only includes st. louis metro, but in the state of missouri as well. those are the kids that you have a reasonably good chance at landing. you can build a solid foundation with area kids and still chase the ones from out of state.

we need to be more aggressive in our recruitment of players such as tolliver of Creighton (springfield), watts of creighton (warrensburg), richards of sms (logan-rogersville), shaw of centralia, ill (SIU) and take a closer look at guys in our own area such as brian cusworth and chris kellerman. I understand columbia rock bridge has a 6'10" kid that did pretty well over the summer. they may not be stars, those are the type kids that can help sustain the program. i know slu offered shaw, but it sounds like we may not have even made an effort to recruit some of those other kids.

when you don't get the job in that regard, that's how you head into a season with a forward group that includes vas'shun (undersized and non-athletic), jj (enigma) and obi (very talented, but coming off a major injury).

hopefully, as we continue to recruit '06 talent and delve into '07 and '08, our guys will keep that in mind. there are good players there to get.

what are your thoughts?

bad boyz for life

"it goes to show once again. you have to concentrate of recruiting your own area. that not only includes st. louis metro, but in the state of missouri as well"

Absolutely agree. For example, Matt Rogers is a 6'9 All-State player from Doniphan. His team played at the St. Louis basketball camp. Yet according to the Mosports.com crowd, SLU isn't recruiting him. And as you noted, Dane Watts, a 6'8 freshman starter for Creighton who played his high school ball at Warrensburg and played in DJ's All-Star game, wasn't offered by us. I don't get it.

p, it just seems that judging from the success we are getting guardwise and the sheer number of recruiting prospects we hear the billikens are pursuing, that we arent even focused on the inside. imo, especially now, we should be chasing almost exclusively inside players. yet we just keep hearing about guards. it is pretty frustrating. my fear is that in a year or two when these guards will be hitting their stride, and ian is gone, that we wont have the inside help comparable to our guards to make the run. it happened with claggett, h and highmark. history repeats.

I thought Koch's dad and brad were good buddies? Until we have something to offer a "non-local" we're going to have to do it like SIU get the best of the locals and work hard to develop them. Find it hard to believe a starter for Creighton or SIU could not start for us or at contribute in a bigger way than AD, VN, or JJ??????

Wouldn't mind repeating the same history as those teams; two invites, one win. Maybe find a way to go just a little further into the brackets. But agree the lack of anyone who can play the 4 is disturbing. And the graduation of IV would leave us with BH at this time. Can't imagine the staff is not aware of these holes and not out there desparately trying to fill them.

"especially now, we should be chasing almost exclusively inside players. yet we just keep hearing about guards"

Other than Bobby Hill, what other guards have you recently heard about?

From what we've observed, three shooters were targeted early on: Dustin Maguire, Paul Bayer and Jeff Ryan. Maguire verballed so unsurprisingly the other two players stopped listing us. Ryan committed to Northwestern recently.

We were mentioned with forwards Joevan Catron, Cory Johnson and Casey Crawford but after the early stages of their recruitment we were never mentioned again. A month after Koch was offered he no longer lists us. I assume that we're still involved with 6'8 Ty Adams from Steelville but I doubt we see any recruiting articles about him. He played so sparingly with the Eagles the recruiting sites probably don't even know who he is.

this is where lisch's not playing much AAU ball might actually be hurting...

if he had played with some guys who are going to be outstanding recruits - or played against some of these guys where they noticed him to the point of getting them thinking about getting kevin to be the guy feeding them the ball for the next 3 years of their collegiate career - well, who knows?

i agree though - brad needs to figure this out quickly - the guard positions seem to be fine...

the post is where the need truly lies.

3star, with all due respect, if SLU wanted to sign state of Missouri bodies they could easily do just that. I'm assuming SLU wants the very best players they can get....and if no one currently in the state of Missouri meets their standards they need to continue to look elsewhere.

You are not going to take talent no one else wanted and finish in the top tier of the A-10, let alone the C-USA.

As I pointed out a few months ago, the local/state talent, particular the post-position players, in recent years have been lacking in talent, with a rare exception or two (Tyler H and Grimes).

Hopefully the freshmen, sophs and juniors will produce better talent.

It's August 16, 2005. There is a long way to go in the recruiting process. The next recruiting class won't be on campus for 12 more months. The coaching staff is working hard every day to fill their needs. They want the best possible recuits and not just a couple of warm, tall bodies. Patience, patience, patience.

Thank god the coaching staff has patience!