SHOCKING SOCCER NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soccer is the most popular international team sport, followed by vast, emotional audiences and associated at times with such events as the 1969 “Soccer War†between El Salvador and Honduras and oubreaks of mass hooliganism, notably by British supporters. It has long been secondary in the United States, though, where American football, a descendant primarily of rugby, dominates. Since the 1970s, American soccer has grown at many levels, from childrens’ to collegiate; professional soccer, however, has achieved only sporadic success, with the birth and decline of several leagues as fan interest generally lagged. The most recent U.S. professional league, Major League Soccer, played its first season in 1996 and currently has 10 teams.

from the Columbia Encyclopedia Sixth Edition (2001)

Thicks, don't abuse your "moderator" power. Don't pick and choose which threads you want to end. This is a message board and people can freely voice themselves. Apparently, people keep reading the thread or they wouldn't say put a stop to it. It will die as they all do. Just having you and Steve respond to that, brings this thread to the top and gives the undue attention you don't want. I have read through so many non-sports related threads and other meaningless threads, but that's my fault for doing it. I don't have to read anything I don't want to and nor does anybody else. People have the right to voice freely, and as long as it's not obscene, then let it fly. Once you start censoring things, where do you draw the line? Censor things you don't like to read or ones that you feel the majority of this board doesn't want to read???? You can't do that. There's no way you can know what EVERY person on this board wants. Doing that, will ruin the purpose of a message board to begin with. By the way, it looked like Rich was ending the thread by starting a whole new one - this one!

It doesn't bother me that this new thread has started. However, while the old thread was annoying and irritatingly long, the reason that Steve and I wanted it to die is not that it's about soccer or that posters were vehemently debating a topic in it; the reason is that the thread had an objectionable word in the subject (not just buried in the messages).

Now, watch this thread grow. Sigh!

Thicks, thanks for helping me out on this. This is definitely not the week where I can worry about debates on Billikens.com (Giant Paper Due and Test tomorrow).

I don't care if there are soccer threads on this board, I do not care if there are field hockey threads on this board, or gymnastics, or anything else really SLU Sports related. If it will require another board due to popularity, I will make a board for it. But I wanted that thread dead on day one because of the title, but I let it slide since I am pretty easy going with that sort of stuff. I just absolutely hated to see it bumped back at the top yesterday, so I just said LET THIS THREAD DIE. The title of the thread made the board look trashy, and that reflects poorly on everyone. I appreciate that people editted their titles, but it probably should have never been done in the first place. And when I thought it was long gone and over with WHAM there it was again. So I got a little irritated.

I may not be as lenient in the future, but I believe I have been considered fair in the past, and hopefully I will be considered fair in the future in terms of Board moderation.

This is all I will write on this topic until Friday after I hand in an 11 page research paper on Billikens.com (whoever thought CUSA-Talk and Triangle and Too would be cited in a Bibliography).

Steve

>I do not believe the use of vulgarity is needed or helpful

>in denigrating the pox on the international community that

>is soccer. It's perfectly reasonable expect a higher level

>of discourse on the board. Who are we Billikens or

>Bearcats?

Why don't you crawl back into the hole you came from.

GoSLU, I am not getting involved in going back and forth with you negatively on this one as this was originally your beef with Rich and vice versa. I only did last time because of your comments about basketball. Question though, since I do not know, will the soccer team have a home game if they beat Maryland or any point moving forward?

>GoSLU, I am not getting involved in going back and forth

>with you negatively on this one as this was originally your

>beef with Rich and vice versa. I only did last time because

>of your comments about basketball. Question though, since I

>do not know, will the soccer team have a home game if they

>beat Maryland or any point moving forward?

Tonka if SLU beats MD they will make the final four, at that point there are no more home games since the rest of the games are at a site chosen each year by the NCAA. This year they will be played in Columbus OH.

>I'm sorry to everyone here. The previous post finally

>convinced me that I'm verbally battling either an eight year

>old or some unfortunate with the mental ability of an eight

>year old. This is my last post on this thread and the

>Billiken Rich is an a-- thread

Hooray! And you should be sorry to everyone for your existence. And again the fact that I don't have time to concoct the perfect retort does not imply a damn thing. But fortunately your limited intelligence is reflected in all of your posts.

Why don't you just stop posting your incoherent drivel on any soccer thread and this crap will stop.