Recruits

slu72

as with all things connected to the Bills our recruits come in with some question marks. Obi and KL knee worries, TL we should know if he's qualified by now, right? DM, some question whether he will actually sign depending upon how he does over summer. Aaaaahhhhh, it's never a lock when you're a Bills fan. But am looking at this with the glass half full, actually more than half. this upcoming season is going to be a fun season watching the development of these kids. Not expecting us to make .500, but following year would think the dance is a good possibility, the NIT a lock. 2007-08, with this class meeting expectations and some other fine recruits, am thinking we are definitely NCAA bound. Anything less would be a major disappointment. Then hopefully the snowball builds on itself. UB continues to bring in quality recruits because of the excitement factor and voila we finally have the big mo (momentum) going for us...I smell at least sweet 16 and SLU a perennial bb force for the future. Good job UB and staff...now hire AB to teach OB.

For everyone that wants Bonner on board here this could be a way. This is just pure speculation on my part, no inside info at all, but a longtime Creighton assistant is supposed to be leaving to join Krueger at UNLV. This leaves an opening at CU. Anthony Beane, current SLU assistant, played for Altman at KSU. I don't know Beane's role with SLU and if it would fit for what Altman wants at CU, but I just thought I would throw this out since there needs to be an opening at SLU before Bonner could even be considered.

I thought I could flush you out!

btw, a post several months back reported that the A-10 had about twice as many NCAA bids as the MVC over the past 15 years. That speaks volumes.

imo, a Valley team will rarely win more than two NCAA tournament games....in the end, size and strength eventually will beat them.

This past season the Valley had four of the nation's top 35 shooting teams from the 3pt line: #4 Creighton, #17 Missouri State, #33 UNI and

#34 Evansville. (Duke was at #35). The Valley either has a number of very good shooters or they play very ###### defense....probably a little bit of both.

On the flip side....the A-10 had four of the top 26 defensive teams in the nation: #St. Joes, #17 SLU, #25 Temple and #26 Dayton.

For your sake, I hope Steve Alford never gets fired at Iowa. Because if he does.....Dana is the head Hawkeye!

SLU was 9-21 last year and getting to .500 next year would be a huge accomplishment for the program. Assistant coaches don't move up to head coach positions from losing teams. Creighton's success the last few years would be very attractive to a lot of assistant coaches, 7 straight years of 20+ wins and 8 straight seasons in the postseason. Altman also seems very loyal to his assistants and with Beane being a successful player for Altman I thought this to be possible. I also think Altman is being paid more than Soderberg, so I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't also true of the assistant coaches.

As far as Altman leaving to Iowa, again with him being loyal to his assistants they would most likely come along. From Beane's perspective this could be a quick way to a major conference and a great move. I doubt Altman is leaving anytime soon though.

Finally, there have been posters here that said if SLU has another bad year Brad should be gone or at least on the hot seat. Playing devils advocate, two best players graduated, also being the only two that averaged over 7 pts a game. Two returning seniors are a PF that only had 13 foul shots and an off guard that shot .289% from 3pt. Two of three recruits are now rehabing serious knee injuries. Have two open scholarships still and it is the middle of May. I think we can all see where if we get some bad breaks again next year, an under 10 win season is possible. If I am an assistant at SLU and an old coach at a successful program calls, I certainly listen.

I guess you are saying Creighton is a downward move and I am saying it is an upgrade. We will just disagree. My point in posting this was not to debate the programs. It seemed many on the board wanted to get Bonner back into the program as an assistant, the first step in order to do this is have an opening. I saw a past connection between Beane and Altman and thought I would point it out.

I don't know if you want AB as an assistant or not, but if so which assistant is he going to replace?

If Brad and AB could work together and the financial details could be worked out ... we fire whichever asst we need to. It is a fact of life ... if you get the opportunity to upgrade you do, someone has to go.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

as a rule - the MVC has excellent shooters and many teams are permimeter oriented offensively...

as for defense - DA starts everything with D...CU is genrerally pretty solid defensively - and SIU is one of the toughest defensive teams in the country...same as any conference you will find some contrast in styles though...

i think you are right for the most part about the size and strength - but when was the last time a bills team had those attributes? although a lot of love is still shown for the david robinsons, donnie dobbs, etc - you probably have to go back to bonner to find a bills player who embodied those qualities.

i guess if:

winning conference titles

winning conference tourney championships

winning NCAA games

being ranked in the top 25

is a downgrade - then our coaches and players are slumming it. i am not worried in the least about our ability to attract an asst coach - and while AB has some ties to altman - his name has not been brought up - i hope he stays in st louis and does well.

Skip, good question. Personally, I have been reading 72's posts for some time now and he is simply someone who is always looking for the negative. He continues to harp on the TL qualifying issue even though we have heard from people close to TL that he is doing very well in school and should not have any problems qualifying. All we simply have to do is wait for this semester to end to make it official. Given that schools are not out for at least another week or two and possibly later we won't hear anything for awhile. He continues to raise this issue about KL's knee when everything being reported from the medical staff and KL's people is he on schedule and they are not expecting any problems. The new recruit - Obie - we don't have much info there about his knee but we do know that he said he will be cleared to play again in less then 3 weeks so he has plenty of time to get back into shape so once again, things look good but patience is still required. The DM issue is very confusing - why he think this kid is going to back out on his verbal is beyond me - maybe he has been lied to often or maybe he has lied to others often. Either way, we have every reason to believe that DM will honor his announcement.

Thanks Cheeseman, where do I send your Christmas card? I don't think I'm negative when I ask legit questions that have been raised by others. A liar too! I read on the large DM post below that some posters thought we might be in danger of losing DM if he popped some eyeballs during AAU season. It ain't like it hasn't happened to us before...the TL/UNLV fiasco last summer comes to mind. Think the posters quote was something like, "if the Illini offered you don't think he'd bail on the Bills in favor of the Illini",or something to that effect. I also saw a number of posts suggesting Obi might have to redshirt. Another said he looked overweight due to inactivity. ACL's ain't anything to fool with and if he was 100% good to go, don't you think a few of those other schools may have offered as well? I read a post where KL went in for a second surgery. And if you took a poll you'll find a lot of posters who will breathing easier once he officially qualifies. I'm not a nabob of negativity, just expressing valid concerns that concern other posters as well. Part of being a Bills fan is you're always going to have concerns. It's our legacy. Someone in this thread also asked when was the last time a SLU recruit reneged on his commitment....does the name Ryan Hollins ring a bell?

72 - no need to send me a Xmas card although it was a nice thought. Ryan Hollins signed a LOI and backed out when Romar left. He did not back out on his verbal. As far as TL is concerned, my comments about what has been written about his status stands so refresh your memory with those threads. KL did have an ACL blowout - so his recovery is less complicated. Obie - as I said time will tell but he says he is within a 2-3 weeks of being released. I am not going to call him a liar until he proves that he is. Finally, I did not call you a liar - all I said was perhaps you have been lied to or have lied to others. No statement of fact there all I was trying to figure out was why you are so worried about DM not being truthful to us. Also, why would DM dump us for IL - they told him that they could not offer him a schollie now so he simply took the sure thing from one of his top 3 schools. Sounds pretty solid to me. By the way, TL did not back out of his verbal - he waivered but realized he needed to stand by his word.

You saying "maybe you've lied to others" is pretty much calling me a liar. I don't know enough about these recruits to lie about them. I just reiterate other poster's concerns. Figure they're valid. Look, I want all our recruits to come in unemcombered and lead us to the promised land. I don't post to knock them. Just want to know what everyone else thinks. Forget the Christmas Card.

No problem with the card. The point I was making was that just because someone posts and uninformed comment doesn't mean you have to keep repeating it. Once informed information is posted regarding it then just ignore what some other uninformed poster says. Once again - in the context of my statement is was offering a possible reason for your behavior not a statement of fact. Jalensdad has said more than once that TL's grades are great - all Bs with maybe one C so continued posting about maybe he won't qualify has no merit. KL's knee injury has been widely discussed here and no one who has contact with the situation has ever said anything other than that KL is doing fine - heck he started running a week or so ago. Obie - he has said he is expecting to be cleared to play in 2-3 weeks. That was in the link from the newspaper reporting his signing. He did say he would work with the team's medical staff to see what they think he should do but it is May and practice does not start until later in Oct. a lot can happen. DM's quotes in the article about his verbal committment were rock solid in his selection. You post a lot so I assume you read all the other postings. Therefore, all the information above should not be knew to you. As I said, just because somebody makes an uninformed post doesn't mean you have to continue repeating it.

cheeseman said about kevin lisch, "heck he started running a week or so ago."

cheeseman, i dont recall that ever being posted on this board. but i have heard from an extremely good source that is true. i.e. you have very good sources. your credibility just went from good to extremely good with me!

Ryan Hollins backed out when the coach who recruited him left. I don't think that counts ... we don't have a history of recruits backing out so I don't know why anyone would worry about Dustin. Hell if Duke offers all our recruits will leave.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

this has nothing to do specifically with the billikens, however, a very interesting article at cbssportsline.com about tennessees top recruit for next year that wants out of his nli now that peterson has been fired and bruce pearl is the coach.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8463172

be sure to read all the comments that have been posted. all the gory rumors of the real story are there as well. nasty stuff this recruiting.

72, I like your stuff, but I think Cheeseguy is raising some good points. From all accounts, Dustin is a lock and TL is going to qualify. Admittedly, our latest recruits have some contingencies; however, it is nice to see names like Minnesota, Illinois, and Georgia scouting our signees rather than directional state schools. The cup is definitely half-full these days. When Brad first took the job, he stated that one of his goals was to lock up the top local recruits--many laughed at him. Now, over three years later, he has arguably accomplished that goal.

Nark, I just condensed what I've been reading on the board. Being an out of towner one has to rely on what they read on the board. Just get a little defensive when Cheesey say's I'm a liar. Hope you would know I want NO problems with our recruits....none. There just seemed to be some uncertainties with all of them. I agree seeing the names of schools who went after our signees is impressive and think we can all look forward to the salad days coming our way.