Arena-related blurb from today's P-D

This actually involves parking for the new arena. I have a big problem with SLU tearing down these historic building for parking lots. The eastern edge of Grand Center is already a sea of parking lots, and development along Locust is really starting to pick up. To demolish these buildings would be a big mistake and would negatively impact the Grand Center/Midtown area:

What will SLU do with 11 buildings north of campus?

By Martin Van Der Werf

Of the Post-Dispatch

04/19/2005

St. Louis University was buying up whatever property it could just a few years ago on the north edge of its campus. The idea was that one day, it would build a basketball arena, somewhere along Locust or Washington.

Then, SLU bought the old Waring School at Compton and Laclede for the arena site.

So what is to become of the 11 buildings the university owns north of Olive Street?

Rumors recently swept the neighborhood that SLU planned to start knocking down the buildings, many dating to the late 19th century - even as developers are bidding up the prices of abandoned area warehouses that they hope to convert to lofts.

"We're in the process of assessing all the needs of the arena," said Jeff Fowler, a university spokesman. "There's nothing imminent with these buildings. If we need the area for parking, though, we have to plan for it."

While the new SLU arena will have high visibility along Highway 40 (Interstate 64), close-in parking apparently will be a problem. That is why the buildings in Grand Center are in play, even though they are at least four blocks away from the arena site.

Area residents are concerned that SLU could tear down some of the most architecturally significant buildings, including an old livery stable at the corner of Locust Street and Josephine Baker Avenue.

Jason Evans, who owns an exclusive Central West End hair salon, lives in a converted firehouse on Locust, next to SLU property.

"Two months after I moved in, SLU sent me a letter telling me they wanted to take it," Evans said of his home of two years. "They've backed off now, but I'm afraid they'll be back."

Why not use the Laclede Town land for surface parking? There are acres of vacant land there. Harris-Stowe and Sigma Aldrich are apparently not putting it to use.

I really hate the idea of losing buildings, especially when we don't even have funding in place for the arena itself yet.

If my memory serves me correctly, when I was in school, the Phi Delts got busted for playing soccer in the alley with a GOAT'S HEAD. Not sure where they got it, but it was a pretty funny story. I think they also got in trouble for having a small aligator in the house.

As a former resident of the Phi Delt house I must take objection to Mr. Nark's comments. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and an unkept lawn, a mess of a parking lot, and a nightmare of an interior were just fine with us... We actually did our best to keep it up, but admittedly, could have done a better job.

All kidding aside, I'm just glad the house is still there so I can at least point to it and say 'this is where X happened, and Y happened, etc.'. The University has done a tremendous job with that house. An elevator has been installed, along with central air. The interior is beautiful.

Great memories in that house...