More Fun for Mizzou

ACE

ace, imo, the boys at mi$$ouri have to be sweating now. if wolf starts talking that could get ugly. the question i would ask wolf if i was the prosecutor is "why would you do this? what was in it for you?"

why would you consider it a "scam"? what is wolf's motivation to do this? if wolf was doing it for money or future jobs considerations and the targeted univesity knew it was fixed, imo that would mean that mi$$ouri was a party to the academic fraud. in the past mi$$ouri stated that they accepted the transcripts because as far as they knew they were accurate. but if wolf now testifies with proof that a booster or university official knew he was fixing it accordingly that would seem to be a whole new ballgame.

Granted an indictment isn't proven yet but I'd still be afraid of the big bad wolf if I were Mike Alden and pretty boy Q.....

"The Wolf indictment demonstrates Missouri's benign neglect regarding Pulley, who had to pull off some uncharacteristic mental gymnastics to get eligible. He arrived at Barton County in the summer of 2002 with a 1.0 grade-point average. He had a 2.0 GPA ... four days later.

That's what the Wolf indictment says. Pulley continued to take classes at Barton in 2002-03, receiving all A's except for one C in recreation leadership -- an impressive report card for someone who, according to the indictment, "did not attend any of the classes associated with these courses."

i would think the class would be about being "line leaders" and strategies in picking sides for playground games. how to counter attack play ground bullies, getting back to the classroom in time when the bell rings and how to maiximize that time effectively, etc. now that would be a class.

Every person on this board knew that Pulley had a 1.0 GPA when he left SLU. I specifically remember asking on this board how he was able to improve his grades enough to enter Mizzou (or any other school for that matter). Ignorance is one thing but how in the world could Mizzou not have known what was going on? Especially following the Clemmons disaster for them to go down the same road is comical.

Roy makes the best point though. Why would Wolf create false grades for Pulley. Out of the goodness of his heart? Clearly he was paid somewhere along the line.

paid or promised. the real key will be to see how smart this wolf guy was. did he get anything in writing, on tape, records of phone calls between parties etc. without documentation he is up the creek. dont guys like this watch law and order?

I don't think Mizzou is sweating this. They already canned two assistants that will be blamed for anything that comes out of this. Those two haven't talked about anything surprising and never came out anti-Mizzou so I would imagine they will be the scapegoats again if they need to be.

I think this is a perfect place for the NCAA (or the JUCO equalivant)to impose the death penalty on Barton CC mens basketball team. I know JUCO basketball is big in Kansas, but this is a chance for the powers to be to really set an example by not tolerating this. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything about the school being investigated by the NCAA or any scantions being handed out.

Here's where I'm coming from. Wolf is a young, overly eager coach (my buddy actually lived on his floor in college, very ambitous, power-hungry type) who wants to keep Barton a power and parlay this job into a D-1 position (which is tough to do from JUCO levels). He knows that the more kids he sends to big time D-1 programs the better it looks for him so he has no problem doctoring transcipts and grades so that he can go out recruiting kids and say "What I did for Randy Pulley I can do for you" and stuff like that. Mizzou looks at all of the records, it checks out and looks legit and viola, they offer the kid a scholarship.

I know everyone here has their anti-Mizzou blinders on but look at the programs that kids were going to out of Barton - it wasn't just Mizzou. It could be the case of a JUCO scamming schools. Some 5th year prep schools have been caught doing the same thing.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

After the Clemmons saga, how could Mizzou get in a similar situation again? Mizzou can claim they had no idea about Clemmons (a pretty lame claim but they can still make it) but how can they go back to the exact same school, look at those classes and his 1.0 SLU GPA and NOT know that the whole thing was bogus?

If nothing else, it just goes to show that all the stuff you hear about Quin graduating all his players and he really cares about them getting an education is pure b.s. He wouldn't recruit kids that are so obviously not interested in school if he really cared.

As for the admissions officers that looked over both Clemmon's and Pulley's transcripts and certified them it is incredibly naive to think they didn't know that every one of those classes are b.s. They were told by somebody in the MU AD to get those kids in and to turn the other head. Don't ask don't tell.

your young agressive coach trying to build a resume would fly IF clemons ever played for him. the fact is clemmons had used his juco eligibility and only used barton to get the needed credits to become eligible to go on to a four year school. therefore it doesnt fit that he was bringing in the players just for his own team scenario. i.e. wolf was known in the underworld of college basketball as the fixer and coaches came to him to get their needed players grades fixed. there is no other explanation.