Vols Get OK to Interview Lutz...

Schasz

At Washington, Bob Bender was there for 8 years before Romar and had a losing record. Tennessee is on its 4th coach in 11 years and the last two coaches have had a winning records (although Buzz just barely hovered over .500).

The HC before Peterson (Green was his name) had them in the Big Dance and did have a winning record. It only takes a good recruiting class or two and they could be dancing to Rocky Top all the way to the Big Dance. They got plenty of money so there is no real excuse not to have a decent mens basketball program. I don't buy that it cannot get done at UT.

Courtside is correct, football is king at UT, followed by women's bball. Going to high school in Nashville, I probably knew about 50 people that went to UT. Most of the people I talk to about their basketball team don't have a clue and actually, couldn't even remember if they ever attended a game there. UT football is a religion in middle and east Tennessee. It's pretty wierd actually. Can Lutz change that? I highly doubt it. If he can sell out the 28-29k arena they have, that would be a major feat.

I won't argue that they football is a religion at UT, but I also believe that they want the Vols mens basketball team in the Big Dance. My wife is an Alum of UT and she did attend the mens basketball games all of the time...of course she also graduated from Collinsville HS so she was raised on basketball back in the day that C-Ville regularly competed and won Illinois HS championships. I can tell you that she cares about seeing a competitive mens basketball program, and I sincerely doubt she is the only Alum that feels that way. If they didn't give a damn about basketball then they certainly wouldn't have fired Peterson.

Oh, don't get me wrong. UT takes quite a bit of pride in their sports. They want to win, and they want to win big. If you don't, you're outta there. I remember the year after UT won the National championship, they didn't make it back to the championship game. Fans were so pissed they couldn't even sell out their tickets to the major bowl game they were in (i forget which one).

I guess I was eluding more to the fact that IMO it is a very difficult place to be a coach. Between Pat Summit and Phil Fulmer, you have two hall of fame coaches who have been around for decades. That's a lot to live up to. Then you will always have to play second (or should I say third) fiddle as the basketball team. I'm sure UT can offer more money and better facilities than Charlotte can dream of. But I don't know how long Lutz would stay.

attract fans. Look at FL, ALA, OK, TEX, Ohio State....all schools where Football sits at the right hand of God. But if their BB team suddenly comes up a winner the fans come, get excited, buy jerseys, etc. If Lutz can accomplish what Donovan has at FL or Barnes at TEX, UT arena will be swimming in Orange Crush. Same applies to the Bills....let UB get them off to an 11-0 start some year with an exciting brand of ball and bring in some national teams for a few major upsets...Bang, just like that Savvis will have 15-16,000 fans. Personally, I'm gonna miss Lutz at Charlotte. Yeah, he's a crybaby but a hell of a coach and decent recruiter.