Ben....Tyler's younger brother

TheGoat

Bottom line, we should have a scholarship offer on his front door. After hearing Brad on KMOX last night talk about wanting to establish a stable of guards and how guard play gets you to the NCAA tourney and puts you in a position to win, I am totally convinced of this. Seeing as how Kevin and Tommie are going to bring us some solid threats (assuming Tommie gets in), a steady flux of guards is needed in my opinion. Also, what better way to get more people excited about the program then three of the best local guards in recent memory playing for one team. Calling Ben one of the best may be a stretch, but I gotta tell ya I am beginning to be a believer. If he doesn't at least get an offer from us (the rumble on this and other boards is that both SIUC and MIZ are in the hunt) then get ready for more banter from the likes of Bernie and others. This time, they might actually be right if it comes true!

I remember reading an article on the two brothers last year...can't remember what paper but someone linked it. What I recall is this kid Ben is a serious competitor with D-1 skills. His competition with his more famous brother drives him. Since Tyler is at UNC, Ben may want a program of equivalent value...and his Dad might as well...now whether he has the skills/talent to make a Duke, WF, GT or Big East, I don't know...but I'm thinking he's an AD type, gutsy, but with considerably more skill....we should go after him hard.

Well, those things are always skewed a bit to get a story, but honestly, I wouldn't mind a guy that needs to get yelled at once and a while to calm down. Nowhere in the "Idiot's Guide to College Basketbal" does it say that everyone has to be model citizens on the court. Now, true Brad is quite the general and things are very much his way or the highway, but to at least not offer the kid is inexcusable in my opinion.

man you all saw a different player than me saturday nite. while i agree ben hansborough is a college athlete, to infer he will end up at a program on par with north carolina leaves me speechless. i will believe it when i see it. personally i think he would fit in great at semo, or maybe he can make it at a mvc school, but i dont see him as a high d-1 prospect.

this reminds me of the robertson brothers. and while i liked troy while he was a billiken, he was never in ryan's league. i think we have the same scenario here.

i would much rather have jared leonard or bobby hill than ben hansborough.

I'll take either JL or BH, but you can keep Hill. The point being that some of the locals that most people have been saying are MVC guys or SEMO guys, have been producing very well I might add, for schools with better records than us. Ahearn, the kid from SUIC..his name escapes me right now, guys of that ilk. I know that this is just us sitting around talking BS, but this local guy who can grow a little bit IMO is the type of athlete that can be coached up and can help and still be used to say that we are recruiting locally and keep the home ties alive. Again, just my opinion.

I have only seen him play once ... and I kind of have mixed emotions. I along with Roy would say that I didn't see enough to want to offer ... but I only saw 1 game. I would say he seemed tough and competitive ... if he can shoot I would say start recruiting him. The A-10 is a guard league and it can't hurt to have plenty of zone beaters plus as a Jr he might grow another inch or 2 and be a big 2 guard who can shoot. Along with that there is no question that AD brings something to the table that no one else on our team does, A tough take no BS attitude. I get the impression that Ben has that same attitude.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Roy,

Honestly I cannot say that he is, however, I personally dont think that we stand much of a chance to land Shipley therefore target one of the next best guys. Incidently in the head to head matchup of Lafayette vs. Poplar Bluff, Shipley dropped 28, Ben 17.

shipley has committed to austin peay. my understanding it was his best offer. now again, why is ben better than langdon shipley and should be a recruit for slu when we will only have 2 scholarships to give next year and have a boatload of guards coming back?

Well I think that this is definately just a difference of opinion, and perhaps Shipley will come back to bite us as well. However, personally, I think it is worth the effort for Brad and Co. (which Im sure that they have already done) to make the grueling trek to PB and have a talk with him. Again, perhaps you are right, and I suppose the only way we will know is to see what they both look like in the future. Good counter point though.

I was very impressed with four players at the final four: Tyler Hansbrough (North Carolina), Marcus Walker (Nebraska), Shane Laurie (Southwest Missouri State) and Ben Hansbrough.

Ben Hansbrough has good size (6-foot-3), strength, quickness, speed, shooting ability, toughness and competitiveness. I like Landon Shipley, but I think Ben Hansbrough will be a better college player.

I talked to Earl Austin Jr. about this right after Earl talked to the Poplar Bluff coach, and he said Ben has an early offer from Southern Illinois and interest from several schools in bigger conferences (Big Ten, SEC, Big 12).

He would be a steal for Southern Illinois, but I'm not sure how much of a contributor he would be playing for big-time school in one of those bigger conferences. I think he'd be a good fit for St. Louis U, but I don't know how much interest SLU has in him.

Nate

>I know he may just be a role player on the PB team, but from

>what I saw, he caught my eye as some one to get some info

>on.....What year is he, stats etc.....I thought he must be

>about 6 7 or so.

Ross Whelan is a 6-foot-8, 240-pound senior center. He averaged 4.4 points and 2.7 rebounds per game for Poplar Bluff this year. He was a starter for half of the season, but then Poplar Bluff went with four guards and Tyler Hansbrough and Whelan didn't play much.

He played seven minutes in the championship game, registered two points, five rebounds and one steal in seven minutes and played with a lot of energy.

Someone will take a look at the kid, but I don't think he's a Division I player.

Nate

After we've been burned with some locals, ie going to MVC schools that are making the dance what seems like every year...maybe we should be a little more open minded as to giving them scholies. Hey we can argue all we want but the MVC and A-10 are pretty much on the same level these days. Some of the A-10's luster comes from years past with U-Mass, RI, Dayton. Now granted they had a nice run last year, but only landed one spot this year...ok it's a down year and with SLU and Charlotte entering the quality definitely improves, but not to the point where if a BH, assuming he has D-1 potential, can be snubbed just because SIU or SEMO's looking at him. We got to get smart here. SLU's obviously a tough place to recruit to and one of the major advantages we have is the new league and EC exposure on ESPN. If they prefer SLU we owe them a good solid look see.

the only school he specifically mentioned was siu. an mvc team which i concede is where ben should be at the next level. it is yet to be seen if lowery will maintain the same level of finding players that bruce weber did. i will say though that matt shaw and next year josh tabb are good starts.

I agree with everything you said but in this particular case we're talking about a kid that will likely end up at a D-2 school like Truman St., not a Valley kid. The Valley doesn't extend scholarships to 6'8 4 ppg high school role players either.

Edit: I haven't seen any posts suggesting that Ben should be snubbed because Valley schools were looking at him. If anything , I've seen posts saying he's looking for a school at a higher level than SLU.

>the only school he specifically mentioned was siu. an mvc

>team which i concede is where ben should be at the next

>level. it is yet to be seen if lowery will maintain the

>same level of finding players that bruce weber did. i will

>say though that matt shaw and next year josh tabb are good

>starts.

Well Roy, not to be too cynical, but SUIC is better this year, and has been better the last couple of years than SLU. No bones about it, so if he is good enough to go there, why not SLU?