How about those predictions?

GoSlu

Talk about missing the mark...the CLOSEST person was Nebraska Bob at 15-15!!! then Courtside at 19-15!!

And the self proclaimed Billiken experts:

Billiken Roy 23-10!!!!!! (That borders on delusional)

Billiken Rich 22-12!!!!! (Showing your IQ Double B)

Thicks 23-11!

I hope David Nark was joking...

This team didn't even make TEN WINS...I am big Billiken fan but you guys need a dose of reality.

GS

Name Wins Losses PCT

davidnark 30 5 0.857

Norman Dale 29 7 0.806

Iggy 27 8 0.771

SLU_Nick 25 8 0.758

lamontcranston 26 9 0.743

StlFan 26 9 0.743

BigMacSLU88 25 9 0.735

AlumniFan 25 9 0.735

NashvilleBilliken 25 10 0.714

TheBand 24 10 0.706

billiken_roy 23 10 0.697

gister 23 10 0.697

Basketbill 25 11 0.694

UNCA SODABERGER 22 10 0.688

Billikan 24 11 0.686

SluRadioBoy 23 11 0.676

thicks 23 11 0.676

Johnekess 22 11 0.667

TheA_Bomb 22 11 0.667

bwbills 22 11 0.667

sluer 22 11 0.667

slubbfan 22 11 0.667

Billiken Rich 22 12 0.647

StlCardinal 22 12 0.647

kshoe 21 12 0.636

New2SLU 21 12 0.636

slufanskip 21 12 0.636

kwyjibo 21 12 0.636

3star_recruit 21 12 0.636

BillsWin 22 13 0.629

aj_arete 20 12 0.625

thetorch 20 12 0.625

Billikens_Fanatics 21 13 0.618

billikenblue 21 13 0.618

merts25 21 13 0.618

cheesycow 20 13 0.606

bauman 20 13 0.606

BLKNS 20 13 0.606

bonwich 20 13 0.606

Box and Won 21 14 0.6

bigbilly 21 14 0.6

Lobo 21 14 0.6

StLouBlue 19 13 0.594

mws26 19 13 0.594

SluSignGuy 20 14 0.588

Jimmy Chitwood 20 14 0.588

slu72 19 14 0.576

BillikenCharlie 19 14 0.576

TarheelBilliken 19 14 0.576

Billiken Law 20 15 0.571

Archie 18 14 0.563

courtside 19 15 0.559

Nebraska Bob 15 15 0.5

Where was your prediction? Come on now what would you have predicted for the soccer team .... you would have been wrong. Does that mean you would have needed a dose of reality.

Things happenned this year that no one could have predicted like TF and RB's injuries plus so many close losses.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

And the talk above has two freshmen leading us to some sort of promised land. I'll pass on that cup of Kool Aid until someone .. until next year's team .... shows me better. If I have to eat those words, so be it. But the proof is in the pudding.

You guys are truly fans and for that I salute you all. But reality is not one of our stronger suites. The fact that Ian did not get a star rankles a Billikan. But on the flip side we all accept a four star ranking for Lisch and a three star ranking for Liddell. And how real are they? Seeing is believing.

To be honest...after we lost Vedad I would have picked no better than a few games over .500. Will John is drastically overrated and refuses to work for the ball thus leaving the offense very suspect and we also lost some senior defenders. There was still a lot of talent but no go to guy offensively. The lack of team unity surprised me and thus was the result of the very poor season. BUT they were still a game over .500!

GS

>And the talk above has two freshmen leading us to some sort

>of promised land. I'll pass on that cup of Kool Aid until

>someone .. until next year's team .... shows me better. If

>I have to eat those words, so be it. But the proof is in

>the pudding.

>

>You guys are truly fans and for that I salute you all. But

>reality is not one of our stronger suites. The fact that

>Ian did not get a star rankles a Billikan. But on the flip

>side we all accept a four star ranking for Lisch and a three

>star ranking for Liddell. And how real are they? Seeing is

>believing.

TAJ this is my point exactly. Based on what I've read(now I'll admit I haven't seen them play) these guys are not Larry Hughes(who I did see play). They may have an impact but unless they exceed expectations it's going to be a long year next year.

GS

It seems convenient for people who didn't make predictions to knock those who did. We are all smarter after the fact. I predict us to go 9-20 with a first round loss to Memphis in the CUSA tourney by a score of 59-79.

Damn I'm good

Smarter??? Give me a break. If the predictions were at least within any sense of REALITY that would be understandable. And no I didn't make a prediction as I just didn't make the time to do it. I'll will make one next year just for you!

GS

Very good then.

We are fans ... of course we want to see the positive.

For example ... I was expecting a healthy Tom Frericks which at 30 minutes a game I thought would give us 10-12 ppg and 7-8 rpg. After the Iowa game I was expecting DC to make a solid contribution. Coach said VN would immediately make us a better team ... so I along with everyone else thought he would give us a strong rebounding presence and a few trash points per game. I expected DP to have someone to pass to that could score. Most of all none of us had any reason to expect that RB wouldn't at least duplicate his numbers from the previous year.

Our predictions were clearly high ... but I don't think anyone could have expected so many things to go wrong this year. ... including the early season close losses.

You make a post clearly dogging everyone for our predictions ... then get defensive when someone gives you a little $hit back ... that surprises me.

I don't mean to be getting defensive if I am, and I understand the close losses and players getting hurt etc. but this team was not going to win 20 games...maybe 15 if they were healthy, but the talent level just isn't there yet. When you are depending on guys like Drejaj, hard worker and I'm not trying to bust his balls, but he is not going to be able to hang with the big boys...it just isn't going to happen.

GS

I never depended on Drejaj ... we are on the same page there.

After the fact I think with a healthy RB and TF alone we would have started stronger and the entire face of the season would have been different.

Who knows ... what if's don't get you alot. As it turned out we got some kids some valuable minutes and now know much more about some of them than we would have had RB and TF been healthy all year.

that by your logic, using empirical results to base your criticism of our predictions, any "idiot" who did not predict the Miracle in Memphis also needed a dose of reality.

How many of us predicted Frericks' concussions? Reggie's travails? Multiple losses in the last seconds of a game? It is kind of a cheapshot to criticize enthusiastic fans as needing a dose of reality, ESPECIALLY when you did not even post a prediction.

... in the list above nor the year before if memory serves. And I'm not knocking those that do. After thirty years of following this program, frankly I am afraid to make any kind of prediciton whatsoever. So I doubt I will make one next year either. I don't see that much of a diffeence between this year's team, last year's team and the team a year before. In almost every case, it was a bunch of overachievers who had to plug it out, defend like crazy, and rely on a run or last shot to win the game. Two years ago, it was Marquee. Last year it was initiated by Josh with finishers being he, Drejaj and Reggie (Drejaj agaisnt Iowas and Reggie's toe on the line against 'Zona).

We lost 12 games this year by an aggregate total of something like 51 points .. a little over four ppg in those losses. Given the two years prior to that and what had become seemingly the norm for a Brad Soderberg coached team, some of those would have been wins. Why ddin't that happen? In my opinion, because the same level of senior leadership was not there. Reggie was hurt. Drejaj is inconsistent. Brown, Meyer and Polk are all freshmen and don't know. Ian and Izik played positions that have not been counted on to traditionally win in this program. In any given year prior to this one, we win the games with Austin Peay, Eastern Michigan, Oral Roberts, Hawaii, Dayton, at ECU, Marquette, Charlotte, UAb and maybe even both DePaul games. the 9 and 21 record then becomes a near 20-win season (subtracting some others that we might lose). Why didn't that happen? To me, a lack of senior leadership (injury depletion more than anything else) and the fact that freshmen are ruling the roster right now.

Next year, those freshmen become sophomores but what I'm reading here is that our whole motherlode will go through two more freshman again. And the senior leadership is Drejaj and Newborne. Color me hesitant to expect much at this point. And here's looking forward to hopefully eating those words.

By the way skip .... I still think the best overall player I've seen in this program short of Hughes was Waldman. Lucky you beat me to that sponsorship. I have always loved his game. To me, that was a point guard. That comparison is why I always had problems getting totally behind JFisher as a true point. He had his own abilities that I now understand and sorely miss.

Mine's not there either ... should I shut up? see my note to skip above as to why I don't predict and you can see where my votes might have gone as well. Just not a "normal" year as far as this program is concerned.

you didnt start the thread and attack those that did make a fun prediction. two years ago, i refused to make a prediction because i wanted to see who would step up to replaced marque. i was roasted for not putting something out there for the fun of it. now this a$$clown who regularly comes in here and tries to shove his soccer b.s. down our throats and demands we all worship "wilson", comes at us with that attitude? pardon me for taking offense to his worthless being.

>Hey thanks For rubbing our noses in it! Guess what????

>Soccer is still a bore to watch (and you make it extremely

>difficult not to bash the soccer bills which I have tried

>not to do.)

Rich, you are kidding right? How soon we forget... :

November 17, 2004

"What's up soccer fans?????????"

From Tom Timmerman's story in the post:

"As expected, the Billikens, who finished 9-8-1 after losing to Memphis in the semifinals of the Conference USA tournament Saturday, did not receive an NCAA bid, ending a seven-year streak. It's just the fourth time in the program's 46-year history that it did not qualify for the NCAA Tournament."

It always sucks to be a soccer fan (unless you're living in "old Europe" or some third world hellhole) but this is particularly ugly.

My sincerest condolences.

Rich

I guess it really sucks to be a Billken Basketball fan based on your assessment. And "Particularly ugly"? I would say 9-21 is "particularly ugly".

GS

>you didnt start the thread and attack those that did make a

>fun prediction. two years ago, i refused to make a

>prediction because i wanted to see who would step up to

>replaced marque. i was roasted for not putting something

>out there for the fun of it. now this a$$clown who

>regularly comes in here and tries to shove his soccer b.s.

>down our throats and demands we all worship "wilson", comes

>at us with that attitude? pardon me for taking offense to

>his worthless being.

Take a valium there Roy. First I didn't attack anyone, I merely pointed out how misguided the predictions were. And I have never tried to shove soccer down anyone's throat...I just won't tolerate those that make disparaging remarks regarding the game.

GS

>>Hey thanks For rubbing our noses in it! Guess what????

>>Soccer is still a bore to watch (and you make it extremely

>>difficult not to bash the soccer bills which I have tried

>>not to do.)

>

>Rich, you are kidding right? How soon we forget... :

>

>November 17, 2004

>"What's up soccer fans?????????"

>

> From Tom Timmerman's story in the post:

>"As expected, the Billikens, who finished 9-8-1 after losing

>to Memphis in the semifinals of the Conference USA

>tournament Saturday, did not receive an NCAA bid, ending a

>seven-year streak. It's just the fourth time in the

>program's 46-year history that it did not qualify for the

>NCAA Tournament."

>

>

>It always sucks to be a soccer fan (unless you're living in

>"old Europe" or some third world hellhole) but this is

>particularly ugly.

>

>My sincerest condolences.

>Rich

>

>I guess it really sucks to be a Billken Basketball fan based

>on your assessment. And "Particularly ugly"? I would say

>9-21 is "particularly ugly".

>GS

My condolences were indeed sincere and the thread that followed was among the more interesting soccer threads on this board, discussing what went wrong. I also did not blast the soccer billiken faithful as delusional or personally attack anyone.

9-21 is particularly ugly as well. Good point! (the preceeding is sarcasm) I don't think anyone was happy with either season. If you are trying to win friends and influence people, you are the delusional one my friend.

Rich, please don't patronize the Billiken soccer fans. If were sincere you wouldn't have made the comments regarding how it sucks to be a soccer fan unless you are a living in a hellhole and said "What's up soccer fans????????????"...you may have others fooled on this board but not I.

Now I will admit though that you did not personally attack anyone and I apologize if I offended anyone by my post. I also think that based on your posts on this Board that you and I(outside of soccer) agree on a heck of a lot more then we disagree on. Thus, if you are willing to stop from making disparaging remarks regarding soccer and the Billiken soccer program then let's call a truce and end this now.

GS

Roy is a worthless SOB.. All he does is state his opinion and will accept nobody elses. Plus, he ******* and moans about the Athletic Department and how they are not doing a great job. I bet Mr.John Garrison is glad to be leaving Saint Louis so he doesn't have to list to BROY ***** and moan everytime he does something wrong or not up to

Broys standards. take a chill pill ROY

I'll admit that there may have been a trace of nose rubbing in the post you referenced, though I do not revel in the Billikens losing at any sport.

I do draw a distinction between Slu's teams and soccer as a sport. We'll have to agree to disagree on the sport of soccer while supporting the Billikens in general.

>I'll admit that there may have been a trace of nose rubbing

>in the post you referenced, though I do not revel in the

>Billikens losing at any sport.

>

>I do draw a distinction between Slu's teams and soccer as a

>sport. We'll have to agree to disagree on the sport of

>soccer while supporting the Billikens in general.

Rich, fair enough.

GS