Bernie's Bits 2-26-05

davidnark

http://tinyurl.com/64efc

Some good, some bad:

...Free Larry Hughes. Hughes (CBC High, St. Louis U.) has been activated from the NBA Washington Wizards' injured list after missing 18 games with a fractured thumb. He may return to action Sunday vs. Sacramento. The Wizards are 22-13 with Hughes in the lineup; 9-9 without him. Hughes is the only NBA player to average at least 21.0 points, 6.0 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.5 steals per game this season.

...by the way: former St. Louis U. basketball coach Lorenzo Romar, now thriving at Washington, landed two McDonald's All- American recruits.

...some (not all) St. Louis U. fans took the snobby attitude that the MVC wasn't good enough for the Billikens. Interesting, because the MVC right now is a far superior conference to the Atlantic 10, where SLU will settle starting next season. As of now, only Indiana State (No. 215) in the MVC has a poorer RPI rating than SLU (213). The MVC is ranked eighth (or ninth) among all conferences; the A-10 is rated 14th.

...considering the dull and mostly dreadful performance of the SLU basketball team this season, SLU director of athletics Cheryl Levick should be commended for raising as much money as she has for the fund to build a new on-campus arena for the Billikens.

Miklasz has been consistent for some time with his praise for Hughes. Frankly, I think a disclaimer at least some of the time should be added to his comments that it is a contract year for Hughes. Miklasz always rips guys like JD Drew for putting up big numbers in contract years, and underachieving in other years. I would take the consistent praise without the added comments every time and run.

He should know better that MANY McDonald's kids do not pan out, and often times getting a chance in the game is political. Obviously the point was to mention the high level of reruit for Romar.

The Valley will never have the natinonal $$ or name recognition or media coverage of the other big cities. ...which is too bad, but that is fact. Sure stasticallly it is a good conference with good solid, fun, ball,....I root for the teams to do well, attend Arch Madness etc...and yes there are some conference snobs out there,...I agree with that comment...but there is a lot more to it than that.

Hard to argue with the last comment.

what will be ironic is that in two years he will somehow be patting himself on the back for holding slu to standards that enabled them to become a great team. of course when we point out they will be winning with the now freshmen and sophomores as he key ingredients, he will not even admit they were on the team now.

Bernie has every right to his opinions as long as his opinions are just that, opinions. What Nark has posted above from Bernie's bits are opinions and reflect the thinking of Bernie as a sports writer, notwithstanding the snide comments about the MVC relative to the A-10. Most of us recognize that he cannot simply write mundane consensus opinions or he would be out of a job. I certainly understand that. I appreciate that he is at least "covering" the Billikens.

Juxtaposed to his previous erroneous comments on Gordon, what he has now written is consistent with what any journalist would do. I realize that some may argue that the Gordon comments were appropriate, but given the material objection by a variety of individuals, it is my opinion that a logical person would conclude that Bernie departed from expressing an opinion to expressing what was implied as a fact that turned out to be, at very least, quite misleading. Regardless of Gordon's subsequent academic accomplishments, he was NOT in a position to legitimately gain admission to Saint Louis University. To suggest that he should have been recruited by Saint Louis University either reflects a blatant disregard for the facts or eristic reasoning.

For those who think that some of us have it out for Bernie Miklasz, please consider the above. At least some of us could not possibly care less about what Bernie Miklasz says 99.99% of the time. We simply do not seek out his opinion nor listen to him nor read his columns. However, when his comments are inaccurate regarding the University that we attended and are very proud of, especially academically, it is appropriate and laudable that we challenge him.

When challenged, Bernie had four choices: 1) ignore the e-mails and/or internet board postings, 2) factually challenge the assetions made in such, 3) acknowledge his transgressions, 4) attack, either directly or, by virtue of the class represented, the challenger. Ostensibly, and quite publicly in addition to privately, Mr. Miklasz chose to attack. It was his sole decision to do so. I personally contend it was an egregious error of judgement (as was my reacting to looking at the wrong version of the Post on Wednesday).

I am pleased to see that subsequent to the entire sordid turn of events, Mr. Miklasz has chosen to take the high road by interviewing the Saint Louis University AD and writing his comments as referenced by Nark above. Perhaps now this entire chapter can be put to a close with lessons learned by all, including checking the date of the newspaper one is reading. ;-)

how is this latest bits column "the high road"? imo, the high road would have been admitting he f'd up the gordon thing and then saying something nice besides the levick patronizing comment.

instead he rips slu again about the a-10, and the underhanded rip on the season vs ms levick's fund raising.

that said, when he didnt come clean immediately upon david calling attention to his error on the message board, i assumed he would continue to be an a$$ about it. i sure would like to know who pi$$ed him off over at slu. because he isnt going to give us a break. that is for sure.

are not sports they are his job, his work, much of what he does. I think one's work, and how they carry it out is a reflection upon their character. So his inability to own up to accept a mistake on his part to me is a reflection of his character. A great deal closer to Keni Slaten than I would have thought. Perhaps Kevin Slaten without the fistfights...... Again very un-Springsteen like.....I do not mean this as a criticism on you, but just wonder what I would say to him the next tume I saw him if I were you.....I guess I would say "Bernie lighten up on SLU you were wrong about gordon, admit it now move on it belittles you"

"how is this latest bits column "the high road"?" Fair enough, Roy, but I guess relative to his previous behavior, this is the high road although not necessarily in absolute terms.

The discussion is about where Saint Louis goes (and of course their history goes wherever they choose). Charlotte will be in the future A-10, their success counts as it is a real part of the choice.

Any further beating of a dead horse in the A10 v. MVC "debate" has to include Charlotte as part of the A10 (which I believe would be where they would be in the counterfactual "SLU to MVC" world)unless you were to argue that Charlotte belongs in the MVC.