Marquette in a dogfight with DII Nrth Michigan 44-37

Northern Michigan is located in Marquette in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I was stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB about 30 mins away from 82 - 85. I officiated many of their's and Michigan Tech's soccer games. Great backcountry hicking spot up there along Lake Superior called Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

Good Hockey program ... won the NCAA Championships in the early 90's.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I used to do missionary work up there about 30 miles east of Marquette, MI (Kiva, some other places I can't remember the names of). Beautiful country! NMU did win the NCAA hockey title in 1991, beating BU in triple OT - incredible game. NMU is the alma mater of Tom Izzo and Steve Mariucci - roommates at Northern.

Wow ... I'm surprised you knew that. I love it up there ... I grew up in Fla, Dallas, and Los Angeles area's. My first base out of Tech school was K.I. Sawyer AFB outside of Marquette. I thought I would hate it and at first I did. I arrived on base on Mar 30th and it snowed every day for 31 days ... I was in culture shock. Now it is one of my favorite places. I've been back hiking a few times last in the summer of 99 ... we go backcountry near Pictured Rocks. It is really beautiful. There has been a lot of growth since I left in 85. Marquette used to be just an old town ... now it is kind of a tourist town. Also the hwy from Esconaba (61 I think) to Marinette/Menominee along Lake Mich used to be mostly open ... It is now mostly beautiful vacation homes. For you deer hunters ... up there you don't need to go wait in the woods ... just pull over you'll get one.

Also Batchelor Bob is from the UP (Upper Peninsula of Mich)

I can't remember the name of the "town" we stayed it - we'd sleep in the basement of a church when we did our missionary work (home construction - church was located right on the highway between Munising and Marquette). Every night we'd go to Superior to hang at the beach and swim. Some of the most beautiful country in the US and I agree, if you can't get a deer up there you aren't trying!

not as part of our mission trips but on some family vacations to the UP. My buddy's parents built a cottage in Munising so we'd head up there once in a while - the Pictured Rocks are amazing! I've always been fascinated with shipwrecks (not sure where that interest came from!) so we'd often head up to Whitefish Point and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum up there - right where the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. I don't think I've ever been west of Marquette, however.

By the way, an interesting fact about NMU, it is home to the largest wooden dome in the world - the Yooper Dome. For some reason Marquette is one of three US Olympic training sites.

I didn't go west much either except to Houghton for Michigan Tech soccer games ... and once to Minnesota. If I remember right they built the Olympic training center soon after I left, I'm not sure where it is located. Still got the buddy with the cottage?

Being a Yooper is a way of life ... if you have ever been there in Jan and Feb you will know why. I remember when Van Halen redid California Girls ... there was a version that played a lot on the radio up there called Escanaba Girls. When I went home to Texas and people used to ask me where I was stationed. I used to say ... go to Green Bay and drive straight North for 3 hours.

>Not really any excuse for not getting a d-1 opponent.

>but...with the old Mariucci, Izzo, Crean and that

>area,...etc......I would guess some sort of friend deal

>giving the game.

>

>3 games 4 days for them.

Actually there was an excuse - a TV deal fell through because they couldn't get a preferred opponent (Illinois, Ok. State, Gonzaga were approached) to come to the Bradley Center so this is all they could get at the last minute to fill the slot for the 16th home game. It was also a favor to Izzo to schedule NMU and it doesn't harm RPI. In fact, Kansas has played a couple D-II teams over the past few years (Fort Hays State, North Dakota) so as not to harm their RPI.