This team lacks a LEADER

Bauman, thank you for bringing up AD taking that bad shot right before the half. I was going to post that when I got home from the game and completely forgot. I'm surprised no one has commented on that up until you. What was the deal with that? We had a timeout right before that. It was at the other end of the court, so I can't say I saw everything set up as it happens so fast, but certainly we didn't draw up a play where we looked for AD to take the last shot?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be the lone dissenter ... I think our problem is we don't throw the ball inside enough, and when we do it is 6-8 feet away facing the basket. Ian has a decent little 4 foot jump hook when he catches the ball with his back to the hoop, He has problems getting the ball knocked away when he is facing the basket. Ian has been very good when he receives the ball 6-8 feet away with his back to or facing the basket. The problem is we don't seem to be able to consistently deliver the ball to them. When Ian plays 30 minutes and gets 5 shots ... that doesn't show alot of effort to get the ball down low and they have the best 2 shooting percentages on the team.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Why won't u understand, that I don't talk for REGGIE!!! I talk for me. Just because I say things doesn't mean he's telling me. I never said he was MISERABLE..he's not, if he was he simply DOESN'T HAVE TO PLAY!! I talked personally to the players, I don't know what u see as laughing but it damn sure wasn't laughing coming from any of the games and practices I went to. Matter of fact the last practice I went to in St. Louis, I had to explain to my 8 year old why Brad was rolling on the floor screaming and acting crazy. He couldn't believe it. So don't hand me that crap about me being passionate as if I'm so emotionally attached to Reg that I can't make an honest opinion.

I don't know what your problem is with me but I too have a Voice here and u NEVER have to like it. But don't discount my comments because u don't agree. In all of your post, I can almost go back and count how many negative references u've said in regards to Reg and that's cool, that's your opinion, but u have the nerve to talk about me? Please.

How do u back up your facts that Reg hasn't stepped up? How do u back up your facts that it has nothing to do with the coach? How is Reg's game passive? Putting the ball in the young players hands is a good suggestion, but what if they don't know what to do with it? Obviously u know sooooooooo much, answer those questions for me. Matter of fact u have the whole team just about summed up, so it's no need to for anyone to ask a PUBLIC question on a PUBLIC board, because BILLIKAN knows all. Don't avoid the questions like usual, lets see if u can answer them. We're like Oil and Water and I don't mind the debate we have ongoing...but u kill me with this notion that I can't make an unbiased opinion because I"m related to Reg. U'RE FREAKIN KILLING ME WITH THAT!!!!

Yelling isn't a problem, its what he says, how he says it. Slamming chairs at games, temper tantrums, it caused I think ECU to agitate the players even more. Calling them terrible names, saying your coach doesn't even like yall...etc...on the outside looking in, u would've thought the same things as ECU.

I'm not saying it's all on the coach, all I did was answer the question honestly, and gave my opinion.

Check this out, I answered this post, it was put in here a day before I even read it. The questions asked if anyone knew anything of what's going on in the locker room, if the guys got along. I answered it. I then went on to say how I felt, just like u SENSIBLY? gave your opinion above. Reg doesn't have to feed me anything, did u even read the post. I made my own observations, and told u that Reg did have a talk with coach. So at least it would be known that he was making an effort. Oh and his defense, r u telling me u missed the last few games, did Reg's man win the games..I remember at Charlotte, DP's man scoring, at ECU DB's man scoring all the points, so I'm confused, playing both ends of the court, defense would imply that his man was scoring all the damn points.

Taking time off the game, he had nothing to do with that, that was Coach's decision. He can't sub himself in and out of games, so what time off did he take? He sat almost 9 mins, because he picked up hsi 3rd foul, or at least that's what coach said. How could he control that? Besides if he's such a one sided player as u say, then it shouldn't matter how long he sat on the bench,If he's no help. So what was the problem then? Complaining to me about the coach? U're wrong, I didn't say that either...U're assuming, that was my point, u can only make assumptions.

I've said nothing disrespectful, I've said nothing on here that I haven't already said to the people mentioned, I responded to the post. U're turned off because of the negativity I bring, I'm turned off because it's gotten to the point that when I make comments, Reg has to be telling me things. All this conversation on the board, do u actually think, I will clam up when given the opportunity to talk to the players, the coaches, or whomever. I ask questions, I make observations, I give my opinions, I make suggestions, I comment on things I like and don't like. That's who I am, the coaching staff can atest to that fact. I'm 8 years older than Reg. He doesn't tell me what to think or how to think. He doesn't spoon feed me inside info...Matter of fact how do u know COACH himself hasn't said things to me?

I owned my issues, if u missed them. My issues are the coaches public displays of immaturity, the substitutions, its the guys not shooting, not feeding the big man, not setting screens properly, Reg not hitting his shots, the injuries, the communication gap that I personally see, the lack of support, THE REFS. I've stated these in all my post, before this one. I talked about defense, the starting line up, the guys confidence. If u're such an avid reader of my post, then u should know it's not always negative. And if it is, that's my %$#@*& opinion. I was the one saying I wasn't giving up on the team, I was the one saying Ian was better than every one thought, I was the one defending Izik, when someone made a racial comment, I said DP should shoot with more confidence...I said Coach was a good family man, I said he was a good coach, I never denied that. But I'm not gonna give him a pass, when he doesn't deserve one. Just like u're not giving Reg a pass, because u think he's not trying to play defense. So before u attack me, think about your own comments. See if u're not doing the same things as me, just not so candid as me. I don't sugar coat, if it means, i'm not allowed to post here anymore, then that's fine too. But while I am posting, I will say my peace. I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone. U know how many comments r made that I don't like, I don't get my panties in a bunch...it's someone's opinion. If My post has no value, then what value does your response account for?

Exactly!!!!!

brehms, for the record, i have no problem with what you are writing. the team needs to deal with their own chemistry and if a message board can affect the heart and soul of a college player, then i question how strong that player is anyway.

you have never coddled your thoughts about reggie. i wish i had a dollar for everytime you have been critical of some aspect of reggie's game. i hope you dont let a couple of negative posts keep you from visiting because frankly i look forward to your perspective.

If you are asking about Ian, he busts his butt in the low blocks working to get open and he really understands how to put a guy on his hip if they are fronting him. Our other players have not done a very good job of passing to the post in the proper place. They often try a pass where there are three defenders and it is tipped or Ian is trying to get the ball in a sea of hands. But make no doubt, he is working hard for position. Last week against the 3 centers it was like a wrestling match inside.

Your post is filled with anger and emotion. Fully understandable becuse you are the sister of a senior player who is on a team that is not having a good season. I will repeat what I have said many times, much of what you put in your posts is better left behind closed doors in the locker room. Maybe I am too "old schoool" but I see no benefit whatsoever in your constant bashing of the coach.

Maybe I missed something in the reading, but I don't recall anything being leaked out that will hurt our problem.

Oh, wait a minute though. We did have the instances earlier in the season where people had to "sign in" to watch practice. That effort was made so no "secrets" would be posted on the internet. Darn it, it didn't work though! Information had to get out! Here we are beating our heads against the wall day in and day out and it was right in front of us the whole time!!!!!! We are having this awful season because some spies must have gotten into our practices! Brad really ought to make an effort to lock down practice even better than he did!

I've read just about all of this thread and didn't know where to respond...so I just responded to the whole thing.

I gotta tell you, I think some of these responses to your posts are ridiculous. I find it absurd that some of these people still cannot blame the coach for the faults of this team. At the beginning of this year, I was a huge Soderberg fan. I like the hire from the get go...but I'm not so sure now. I think he's a good coach and has a huge amount of bball knowledge. But I have to agree with you that he has some problems communicating with the team. I haven't seen many games this year (3), but I've heard every one and read about each of them. These guys are NOT comfortable on the court. I don't think our shooting is a confidence thing...it's a product of being so nervous and anxious due to the coaches tactics. DP wins what, 3 HS championships? And now all of a sudden he forgot how to score? No way.

Another guy said you need to stop being a part of the problem and start helping out. What a ridiculous statement. This is a freakin message board. It's where a bunch of people who like the billikens talk about the team during the work day. For Christ sake...do they think that what some shmo says on the internet is going to ruin a player or a team? Have they ever been to another message board in there lives? This is one of the most tame places I've ever been. It's like a Care Bear convention on this board.

I hope you don't let some of these guys keep you from posting as I always look forward to your perspective.

Have you ever run anything in your life? If you have, you must realize that every group or organization has its ups and downs and there are often internal disputes that need to be dealt with in a constructive manner. As that process proceeds, it is very destructive for someone on the inside to broadcast to the world about the problems. I run a very large organization and every day we deal with tough issues. We do not always agree and sometimes people get upset. But no one goes on an internet board and puts the dispute the public domain for all to see. It is within that construct that I see the posts of an "insider's sister" as being destructive. I would sure hate it if I was the coach.

tonka said, "We did have the instances earlier in the season where people had to "sign in" to watch practice. That effort was made so no "secrets" would be posted on the internet."

actually, they really tricked us. the spied practices led us to believe the billikens would be good this year.

or maybe the "grapevine" will yeild how things really are behind management's view and allow management to uncover problems that they were not aware of. when i was in management at a fortune 500 company, i had great success utlilizing the "office grapeline". the middle managers that wanted to pretend it was all national security stuff constantly had more problems than my departments where it was an open environment that everyone know i would find out what was going on.

if pent up feelings are "destructive", the real problem isnt that getting out, the real problem is why are those feelings out there?

Sorry, Billikan, I think you're way off base here. Whatever "very large organization" you run and the customers that it serves, I doubt there's a parallel to a basketball team and its fans. It's in the paper; it's on radio and TV. It's basically in the "public domain" all the time.

What's more, aside from our little group, nobody gives an att's rass about what's said on this board. (Luckily, the legendary SLU apathy is actually working in our favor right now, because it doesn't seem like a whole lot of people care one way or another in more widely circulated or listened-to media, either.) We log on here; we kick around ideas; we vent. Occasionally, it appears that someone from the athletic department exploits an idea or two, but other than that, I think you're giving us a whole lot more credit than is due regarding the influence of "an internet board."

Ha! That made me laugh, Roy.

Billikan, I'm glad I read Bonwich and Roy's posts before I typed all that. I concur completely. Trying to compare your "large organization" to this is ridiculous. This is collegiate sports! There's always a media frenzy through many different ways in sports. Have you followed the Rams the past couple years at all? How much insider stuff has come from them?

I only run two much, much, much, smaller organizations than your large organization I'm sure, so I have a much smaller understanding I would guess.

As far as internal information getting out. I can't believe you point the finger at the person letting the information get out as opposed to the problem itself??!?!?!?!?!

BTW, I'm sure you undersand this running your LARGE organization, but if you go on Yahoo finance and read the message boards, you will find out all kinds of stuff going on within companies, and believe it or not - it's on the internet!

This is a BASKETBALL message board for fans - get real!

This isn't insider trading?? I told u that i'm not in the locker rooms, u relentlessly believe Reg is telling me things and that's not the case. I talk to the coaches, the reporters, I listen to the pre and post shows, Brad's shows, I read, I inquire myself. If things were top secret I'm sure the coach or his staff would never tell me. Reg doesn't tell me oh, this happened that happened, I made my own synopsis. I told u Reg had a meeting with coach and it was good. Did I tell u what was discussed NO!!!!!, I said the guys all get along, but even when they win they're in the doghouse, I heard him spazzing out when I was in the hallway of a game, then they came out looking like they lossed. He doesn't talk to the players, because I asked him and he admitted that to ME...that wasn't locker room talk, he said that to me in the beginning of the season. So what am I leaking. I'm merely relaying to the board what I know. I knew plenty of times, who was gonna start, why this player wasn't playing etc...I never came on here and revealed that information. I know what should and shouldn't be said and I don't think that my observation of how the coach can get a better handle on the team is news to anyone on here. The coach has my email, my phone, so does the assistants, if they thought I was leaking something, or harming their program I'm sure he would have said something by now. But quite the contrary I talked to the staff after the ECU game and made comments and suggestions. We were walking to our cars. It was a FREAKIN conversation. U're the one making my comments to be negative. I think they're rather insightful and observant being as though, I'm only stating what I see as issues with the team, from my point of view.

I don't have to run a LARGE COMPANY to make observations and give my opinions. My words are my words. U still haven't pointed out to me, where did I reveal locker room talk, u didn't even answer my questions from the previous post, that u claim I was angered and emotional (being Reg's sister) which is a crock of bull.

Wow, it only took four months into the season to come up with that post of sheer genius. Truly, your vision is a Godsend. I wonder why is it we don't have a TRUE leader?? Hmmm, that's odd. Is it that my white knight, Voyukas is a mere two years away from filling the leadership void??? Is everyone sad that when they look around in the huddle after a clutch Drejaj turnover that Tom Frericks isn't there to give a "Win One For the Gipper" speech? Hawaii? When the team left for the "Paradise Jam," paradise and leadership were both lost. This team cannot gel together because they lack discipline from the top down. Sources tell me that Soderberg can't get down on his team because they are so frail and they will crumble under any "doggonits" or "gee willikers" from their gentle mentor/coach. Hell, our varsity basketball coach Mike Bonzyck yelled at us even when we did do something good for the team. We, like the Bills, sucked ass, but we didn't have to look around for leadership. We all had it. No one has it on this team. Maybe the student managers have it. Suit them up for a game. Jesus. Leadership? This isn't exactly D-I basketball we're talking about

U made a key point, u all had leadership, but still SUCKED BUTT, so why in the case of SLU should we be stressing for a leader, if u'll still SUCK BUTT...(this according to your theory) If a leader does evolve, will he score all the points, set the plays, get all the rebounds etc??

According to your theory, we shouldn't expect to win, with or without a leader, so then what's the problem? I don't think our guys a wimpy as u might infer, I actually think they're pretty strong mentally to deal with this season and the losses, the refs etc...

Your reply says it all. My view of the world is totally different than yours and probably many posters on this board. With a thousand employees I know that we will always have someone who is disgruntled about something. But I truly feel that the best way for any organization to deal with issues is to work within the system and deal with those issues internally with fairness. I do not feel that the way to deal with those issues is to put them on the internet and debate them. My way has worked very well for 30 years but the modern idea seems to be that everything is fair game and everyone has the "right" to know every little detail of everyone's lives, including any disputes they may have had in grade school, with ex-girlfriends or boyfriends, or ex wives or ex husbands or with their families, etc, etc. In your post you make it sound like this is like a consititutional right and I am in the dark ages--while you impliedly demean me-- and suggest I am not a real fan which is the most ridiculous statement I have ever read.

I cannot imagine why anyone with any integrity would ever want to subject themselves to this cesspool of college basketball with all of its backroom deals, crooked street agents and coaches that cheat at the drop of a hat--all the while not giving a damn as to whether their players graduate, much less graduate with a degree more sophisticated than physical education. Even stats on graduation rates are a joke for many schools because the so called degree is aquired by attending a series of special classes that are like basket weaving, playground supervision and the fundamentals of basketball.

But, if you are a coach with integrity and you decide to throw yourself into the fray, with the hope of running a straight but competitive program, you are forced to deal with all kinds of ridiculous pressure from "what have you done for me lately fans" who feel it is their consitiutional right to know everything that goes on in the locker room. I am sorry but I will never agree that it is fair to the coach or the players to continually have a sister of a player come on a message baord and give supposed "inside" information about the coach who has no opportunity to give his side and who would not comment in any event because he understands that such public debates like this can cause damage.

I like Brad personally but I know he is not a perfect human being. But I think the old "first stone" analogy is a good one. No one is perfect. On the other hand, you have young men who are getting an fantastic college education for free. They will have their ups and downs. This year we have lost at least 6 or 7 games where our most experienced players made inexplicable turnovers repeatedly and have missed open shots and free throws repeatedly--yet this is all the coach's fault! BUNK! Sure, the coach needs to take some of the blame but the comments on this board are now ridiculously overboard and negative against the coach.

Also, we need to BUILD for a good 05-06 season. We're all expecting Lisch and Liddell to be the L&L Boys and lead us into the promised land of Madison Square Garden and the NIT, but we need that WHOLE TEAM to have a little bit of pride and accountability for their teammates. If someone throws a punch at me on the court, I want to know for DAMN SURE that ALL of my teammates run on the court and pound someone. Relying on your teammates, knowing that someone's got an eye out for you is critical for success. We don't have a guy who can look at four pairs of eyes and say "I'm gonna win this goddamn ball game right here, right now. Believe that we're getting out of here with a win." If I heard that from Reggie, I'd literally ###### myself.

Brehms ... have you not noticed that Booby is just here to stir up trouble ... his posts are just a bunch of rambling nonsense. Disagreeing and arguing constructively is one thing ... but he just posts to get people going ... ignore him if we are lucky he will go away

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman