anybody know this player

nostatic

John Cannon, a senior at New Salem Winfield (Formerly at St. Charles Christian) is having another great season. After leading the St. Louis area in steals the past 2 years, the 6'2" point and shooting guard is doing it again while averaging 23 ppg., 6 assists per game, and 10 rebounds. He has been a 4 year varsity starter with over 2000 career points. He has been looked at by Valpo, St. Louis U, UMKC, SIUC, and many smaller schools. He is a coaches kid, has grown up with the ball in his hands, and is a team leader and an overall great player who has played at small Christian schools for religious reasons. He was Post Dispatch athlete of the week 1 year ago. He holds the single-game scoring record for 2 schools (Sonshine Christian 46 points 2/1/02) and (St. Charles Christian 41 points 11/22/03)Is explosive off the dribble, has the mentality of a point guard, with 2-guard scoring ability, Can dunk, is a tenacious defender, and shoots the three very well. Free throw percentage 86.5% Coaches, take a close look at a diamond that has been relatively hidden! John can run a D1 offense with skill, and would be a great asset to any team.

the lineup of opponents reads like the who's who of "i never heard of em" high schools. i.e. who has he played against? does he play summer ball? has he ever played anyone of record that one can really compare to?

When I was talking to a local h.s. bb coach the other day he told me that he was suprised that Brad wanted Luke Meyers - not that he thought Luke was a bad player or would not play hard but that the h.s. program Luke comes out of doesn't play man to man defense. So his thoughts were that Luke would have a difficult transition to college ball. The same thought might be said about Moosman.

future billiken, you do know that we have two point guards coming next year that are both better than polk right? if so, why would we be recruiting another point guard now?

the next recruit(s) hopefully will focus on the power forward position. then next year, it is my hope we get 2 of dustin mcguire, jarod leonard or the hill from vashon that is a junior. then in the sophomore class, go for powell from vashon, felton from althoff, and maybe rob rudy from mascoutah and lucas o-rear from nashville. besides that, go find bigs somewhere. of course, my list is east side heavy because those are the kids i see.

nate, problack talks about barnett all the time. what are his physical dimensions?

from past billiken club talks i have attended that brad has spoke at, it is my guess that brad was attracted by luke's ability to score, a very fundamentally sound shot, and a high game iq. if he had outstanding man-to-man skills and was more athletic, it is my guess that luke meyer would be at a top basketball program. i.e. everyone has weaknesses.

of course i say that, and then one has to ask (and i have been the champion on why we didnt so this will come off two faced) then why wasnt he interested in ahearn instead of clarke? because if you think about it, ahearns weaknesses would be the same as meyer? i dont have an answer for that.

No ... I didn't know we had 2 point guards coming in next year better than Polk ... I don't think Polk knew it either.

It is pretty easy to look at KL against HS competition and Polk against D1 comp and figure Lisch is better. I've seen Lisch twice in HS and I saw Polk 3 times in HS ... against HS competition and only considering what I personally saw I thought Polk was better.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Roy, I think what the coach was trying to say was that Luke had ability but if you don't come from a h.s. program that plays man to man defense, then your chances of making the transition to D1 and being successful is going to be a real challenge. He has always told me that h.s. coaches who don't play man to man along with other schemes are doing their kids a real disservice as far as their progress is concerned.

imho, we need more than one point gaurd. While the point is important, since the motion works best by having any player suddenly becoming the open man, potential shooter, everyone on the court needs to be able to "run" the offense, handle the ball, and shoot. Therefore the more players with point gaurd skills, the better. I see TL, DP, KL on the floor at the same time a great deal.

Roy, my thinking was since we are having trouble scoring why not have liddell at the 3 Lisch at the 2 and Polk at the point. If Lisch or liddell struggles with their position then move them to the point. So I suppose it is all based on the success next year on who we would recruit.

Also how many scholorships will be available in 05 and 06?

i see what you are saying, but that doesnt mean that if that was the case that liddell and lisch would never play the point. and when they did, then drejaj, clarke, brown or meyer would play the wing. i.e. we really are covered at the guard spot for next year. then the following year, leonard comes to replace drejaj. i am actually starting to think that with polk's skills on offense he might be better suited to play the wing ala iverson and let liddell play the point who has that pass first attitude. we need inside players with these last two scholarships imo.

Roy, Brad is not looking at 2 inside players - he wants a 6'5" 3 point shooter who he can count on hitting 50% of his shoots and then a player for the inside that can get rebounds and finish around the basket as well as a few feet out. I am not sure how he thinks he is going to find four year players who can deliver on his expectations for next year this late in the recruiting process who have not already signed. I know he is looking more to the academy level but still - I would think it is a little late to get in the game on any of those top players. I know we got Danny Brown late that way but while I like Danny and think he will play more in the future, I am not sure if the minutes he has gotten would constitute what Brad would want for making an impact. I was at the Tip Off meeting and heard all of this - by the way the two reports listed earlier were accurate. I also agree with you that we need more than one PG but I really think the odd man out will be AD next year. Also, I am concerned that Luke has a slow release on his shot - I am not sure you can really change that - ala Diener - but only time will tell.