Any 2nd thoughts about that Valley invite?

STLRedbird

1 ATLANTIC COAST = 85.08 84.76 ( 1) 11

2 BIG 12 = 80.81 80.99 ( 2) 12

3 SOUTHEASTERN = 80.18 80.24 ( 4) 12

4 MISSOURI VALLEY = 80.08 79.76 ( 5) 10

5 BIG TEN = 79.89 80.39 ( 3) 11

6 BIG EAST = 78.83 79.20 ( 6) 12

7 CONFERENCE USA = 78.69 78.62 ( 7) 14

8 MID-AMERICAN = 77.94 78.59 ( 8) 13

9 WEST COAST = 77.70 77.82 ( 10) 8

10 HORIZON = 77.61 77.45 ( 11) 9

11 PACIFIC-10 = 77.51 78.03 ( 9) 10

12 MOUNTAIN WEST = 76.55 76.71 ( 12) 8

13 WESTERN ATHLETIC = 76.20 75.72 ( 13) 10

14 SUN BELT = 75.12 75.32 ( 14) 11

15 COLONIAL = 74.62 74.50 ( 15) 10

16 ATLANTIC 10 = 73.58 73.36 ( 16) 12

hmmmmmmmmmm?

Yes ... lets forget about the last 10 years and make a decission based on the first 7 or 8 games of 2004.

I do though have second thoughts about why people keep bringing this up. It is over we are going to the A-10. Get a life

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

None.

The Valley has two or three teams with the potential to compete for the title, another couple with their head above water, a few sinking programs, and another couple that have deemphasized basketball.

The last time the Valley was a conference of influence was in the day before Larry Albus forged the Metro Conference and gutted the Valley. I grew up in Peoria, and it was a blast to see the Bills, Memphis, Louisville, Cincinatti, Wichita, et al roll through Peoria and play at the Bradley Fieldhouse. Those days are long past, and the Valley has been an also-ran since the same decade that "The Sound of Music" came out.

... I would strongly prefer the national exposure, especially on the east coast, that the A-10 brings SLU. IF (and lately that's a big if) we get our act together, it widens our recruiting base significantly which I think is what you need to recruit to national players. Don't get me wrong, we are nowhere near that point yet. However, you have to start with a strong fundamental base and a conference like the A-10, strategically thinking, makes sense.

Media Media Media.

When the Valley, a well run conference that I respect, moves to cities like NYC, Philly, etc...then I would vote Valley.

It is no offense, and I am not saying I prefer those cities or places...but personally....and this is only my opinion, I would like to see SLU increase its national presence as much as possible. SLU, like the Valley right now is viewed from afar as a regional school. Many people on here view SLU as more "national" than I do. SLU has made great strides, but has a long way to go. The hoops team is a big opportunity to help. My personal opinion is that Soderberg can get SLU back on the map, and steady the ship. But imo, he is not the long term answer and never was. But again, that is only my opinion. It is a lofty non-overnight goal, but I would like to see SLU get more and more attention, as much as possible. The current state of the hoops team isn't helping, I know...but in the bigger picture...in my personal wish for SLU to get more of a name, I wouldn't pick either, but A-10 is the choice for me based on the above.

long answer.

I think Soderberg could be the long term answer - every time you change the coach, it creates chaos. Regardless of what happens this year, we already have a good flavor of Brad as a floor coach. I'd settle for a Norm Stewart type era from Brad, but that requires longevity at the head coach position; the assistants can move on when they need to.

Saluk, it is no disrespect directed toward you, your team, nor your conference. I'd say the same thing if someone asked me if I thought Cindy Crawford was prettier than my wife - I'd speak honestly. Of course, I love and am married to my wife, but Cindy still is a scooch prettier. The Valley has been an also ran conference for more than thirty years, and Saint Louis has not been a dominant player in a conference for thirty five years.

You guys have come the closest to truly making some noise come tourney time, and were only a bad blocking foul away from getting up there, but when was the last team before you from the MVC a Sweet 16 team for three out of ten years?

Temple, UMass, RI, and St. Joe's are all name teams that still have significant to some name recognition and get time in BB pubs. Check out Sebastian Telfair vs. Shaun Livingston. The kid from NYC gets the shoe contracts, the clothling line endorsements, the ink AND the cover of Sports Illustrated, while the kid from the projects in Peoria gets a small deal with Piggly Wigglys.

And you are right - sucking in a major conference is far better than sucking air in the MVC. Quick, 15 years ago, would you rather believe the doormat of the MVC or the doormat of the Big East would be playing in the Final Four? Seton Hall, from the Big East, in a landside....

This is pretty much what I expected the response to be - money, visibility. Hard to argue with the logic. You have to admit, the Valley's movin up the food chain, though.

Anyway, believe me when I say I'm no troll. I like the Billikens - and wish em the best of luck. Hang in there with Soderberg...